+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rumors about an executive order that bans the entry H1b holders around.

monika.akade

Jun 23, 2020
Its effective from midnight (Jun 24 12:01am). And yes it doesnt affect avr guys. Check with your company too.
Thanks Harirajmohan. i'm checking with my company as well. our HR person contacted immigration team & waiting for reply. i ll keep all posted if i hear anything.

Thanks again for your help

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Did any one successfully crossed Canada to US border through AVR(expired Visa but valid I-797) after the new EO?
yes check the other page. Today one of our forum members travelled. No issues in the last few days till today.

Reactions: HoustonRodeo

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
That was the reason, H4 is invalid once you (H1) moves out of the country.
will you be required to take a U turn if you are denied entry? Or they just gave a warning and asked to get visa from next time?

Also, would you have to mention the entry denial in DS160 for the question where they ask have you ever been refused entry to US or any country? does it have negative impact in future entries with other visas?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Was warned and asked to get a B1/B2. Was also told that she would be denied if she tried to enter on H4.
They take notes in their system. When we handed over B1/B2 after a few months....they said...we were now good and gave a new I-94.
thank you. so entering with B1/B2 also means H4 EAD becomes void and spouses won't be able to work for a US company right?

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Hi everyone. I'm on F-1 OPT in the US right now, and my sponsor will file for H-1b in a few months (university).
Can I file for change of status to H-1b in the US and commute from Windsor, ON via AVR?
I've been looking up AVR recently, but I was wondering if it's possible to re-enter the US using F-1 visa while on H-1b status

suemon

Apr 5, 2017
Hi everyone. I'm on F-1 OPT in the US right now, and my sponsor will file for H-1b in a few months (university).
Can I file for change of status to H-1b in the US and commute from Windsor, ON via AVR?
I've been looking up AVR recently, but I was wondering if it's possible to re-enter the US using F-1 visa while on H-1b status
Yes. I am in the same situation (expired F1 visa), COS from f1 to h1b last year, and have been commuting using AVR many times. It is OK.
The only thing is that not every agent at the border gate knows this rule, and sometimes you will be sent upstairs for document check (about 1 out of 3 times for my first few trips). Don't worry, they know their stuff, and will let you go. When my travel shows a pattern, no question was asked. I think someone upstairs made a note on my file. It became super smooth after then.

If AVR remains unaffected by the ban, you show them the expired F-1 visa and your i797 it will be fine.
As for the new EO ban, I hope there will not be any problem. I crossed the border using AVR today OK. When I asked the agent whether I would still be able to cross after tomorrow, the agent did not give a direct answer. It seems that they are still unsure... I am a bit worried that it is going to be a case by case thing. Please share the experience if anyone is also going to use AVR to commute for the rest of the year. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
If AVR remains unaffected by the ban, you show them the expired F-1 visa and your i797 it will be fine.
Thanks!
My F-1 visa is valid until 2023 and OPT is valid until June 15, 2021.
Can I use AVR to cross border commute until June next year? Or can I do this for 2-3 years?

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Yes. I am in the same situation (expired F1 visa), COS from f1 to h1b last year, and have been commuting using AVR many times. It is OK.
The only thing is that not every agent at the border gate knows this rule, and sometimes you will be sent upstairs for document check (about 1 out of 3 times for my first few trips). Don't worry, they know their stuff, and will let you go. When my travel shows a pattern, no question was asked. I think someone upstairs made a note on my file. It became super smooth after then.

As for the new EO ban, I hope there will not be any problem. I crossed the border using AVR today OK. When I asked the agent whether I would still be able to cross after tomorrow, the agent did not give a direct answer. It seems that they are still unsure... I am a bit worried that it is going to be a case by case thing. Please share the experience if anyone is also going to use AVR to commute for the rest of the year. Thanks in advance.
Ah good to know.
Did you commute everyday (Mon -Fri)?

zaid.ahmed23

Oct 30, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have been following this thread closely since since the past couple of days. I am currently in Toronto, Canada (landed on 16th June) to activate the PR. Currently under isolation. I am planning to fly back into US through Pearson Airport in the first week on July. Will be using AVR to cross the border.

Reading through all the posts and different discussion links, it is still a big question if AVR can be used or not. The only way is to wait for now and see if others are able to do the same.

kubernetes

Jun 23, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have been following this thread closely since since the past couple of days. I am currently in Toronto, Canada (landed on 16th June) to activate the PR. Currently under isolation. I am planning to fly back into US through Pearson Airport in the first week on July. Will be using AVR to cross the border.

Reading through all the posts and different discussion links, it is still a big question if AVR can be used or not. The only way is to wait for now and see if others are able to do the same.
Do you have a valid Visa Stamp in your passport or an expired one?