+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rumors about an executive order that bans the entry H1b holders around.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Has anyone already crosse the border and went to Detroit amid the executive ban rumors? If so, did you get any not-normal questions from CBP?

One thing I noticed today afternoon when I returned to windsor after work, right at Ammex shop, there were 3 CBP officers stopping everyone and asking- What is my status leaving the United States and ask to show the stamp.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Has anyone already crosse the border and went to Detroit amid the executive ban rumors? If so, did you get any not-normal questions from CBP?

One thing I noticed today afternoon when I returned to windsor after work, right at Ammex shop, there were 3 CBP officers stopping everyone and asking- What is my status leaving the United States and ask to show the stamp.
vow... checking before entering the bridge to canada.... i was surprised in Feb2018 itself when cbp checked my passport for I94(usually we dont see cbp at the boarding path to flight after boarding pass scan at the flight gate). So now i am not surprised that they put cbp in all exits

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hmm why do they check your status AFTER you left the US???
No, they can do till we are in the flight(inside US territory). For me i was trying to enter the the way to board the plane(just after boarding pass scanned for boarding). No idea what all they plan to harass.. God alone knows.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Possibly expiration on MOnday but dont know if its actually tomorrow as its 60 days from 23 night(or 22 night). Will see.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/white-house-likely-to-issue-immigration-restrictions-sources/article31878256.ece
I am in Canada hence i need sometime to react/plan to enter US. I dont know. its getting close and seems complicating than i expect.
After the Rally, in his interview, he mentioned that the ban will come out today or Monday and there will be very limited exclusions.
I think its safe today to enter the States. I am just packing bags now. :(

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
After the Rally, in his interview, he mentioned that the ban will come out today or Monday and there will be very limited exclusions.
I think its safe today to enter the States. I am just packing bags now. :(
Yes for sure its safe before he takes any rash decision that takes effect in few hours but you should be ready to hear just only the ban on new visa - of course its just one small trip time, not a big deal as we commute daily and wasted lot of time anyway. So good luck buddy.

I am waiting for the decision, hoping he gives 24 hours or 12 hours for me to cross the border.

Any suggestion on which hotel to stay during this kind of covid period? I dont want to bug my friend's home during this time to make them safe.

Edit: It seems that forum removes utube videos. So please avoid posting any of the links.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Yes for sure its safe before he takes any rash decision that takes effect in few hours but you should be ready to hear just only the ban on new visa - of course its just one small trip time, not a big deal as we commute daily and wasted lot of time anyway. So good luck buddy.

I am waiting for the decision, hoping he gives 24 hours or 12 hours for me to cross the border.

Any suggestion on which hotel to stay during this kind of covid period? I dont want to bug my friend's home during this time to make them safe.
Well, we (me and my wife) are actually going to my very close friend's home in canton until the order comes out. If he doesn't ban existing visa travel, then we will come back, otherwise we will find something on miindia.com for few months.

As far as hotel, I would prefer Holiday Inn due to their increased covid safety measures and price reasonable.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Well, we (me and my wife) are actually going to my very close friend's home in canton until the order comes out. If he doesn't ban existing visa travel, then we will come back, otherwise we will find something on miindia.com for few months.

As far as hotel, I would prefer Holiday Inn due to their increased covid safety measures and price reasonable.
Ok. good..
I received my H1 approval in Feb hence i could not get my family's H4 stamping done. Thanks for the hotel note.

Illinois60

Jan 22, 2020
It’s a publicity stunt for Trump, it’s election time. Even if the banks H1B extension, I would not worry much, anyways it’s better to get CAN PR than working on extensions and anyways for Indians, the picture isn’t rosy here, u just have to keep begging for H1B and renewals and GC process. At some point in life, people need to live with dignity.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hey, i think you are over reacting. Wait until the text is out. It wont most likely impact existing visa holders.
What will you tell the border officer on details about your luggage? You just cant say some reason.
More importantly how long will you do this? 1 month? 2 months? 6 months? Things will be like this for the next 6 months atleast or until after pandemic is over
I dont think luggage is an issue. We can explain that we are going to work and meanwhile if there is a ban, I have some clothes and stuff so I can stay here near the work.
How would that sound to CBP? :D

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I would say just wait for EO text. I am in the same boat as you and you would be starting the EO rumors at CBP even before they hear.
Just wait for text and be patient.
just wait and wait.....that about it. And EO's are never implemented the next minute its usually the next day or few days later.
But again this wont work in the long term if ban on "entry" is for 6 months or even an year. What will you do? pay rent both places?
i am no one to tell but in all honesty its better for you to move back to the US for good if you are too worried about it or just wait until the text is out... :)
He just gave 1 day last time. Always many orders were being issued with short notice. No idea if he would even give that 1 day notice. As no visas are being issued, no idea why he wants to do hush hush(given the situation that most visa holders are already inside the country).

Also no idea how much confusion it would create(just like how cbp even arrested the GC holders) hence travelling will have less headache.
Hey, i think you are over reacting. Wait until the text is out. It wont most likely impact existing visa holders.
What will you tell the border officer on details about your luggage? You just cant say some reason.
More importantly how long will you do this? 1 month? 2 months? 6 months? Things will be like this for the next 6 months atleast or until after pandemic is over
I dont see any issue in luggage as he can just tell that he is moving. CBP cant have problem for that.
Yes as you said, this up down issues during covid and election year with many things pop up and give trouble but if one doesnt need to stay outside, its better to stay inside (as most orders wont affect the guys that are already inside).

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
All these acrobatics make me curious. Are salaries in Detroit really that much higher than in Toronto? In Big Data at least, I see total compensation touching 200k CAD in Toronto for full time (with stock grants) and $100 per hour in contracts for big banks.

Why not just find something in Toronto and have peace of mind for 3-4 years?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Correct but just crossing the border without even the text being out is a no brainier for me atleast. I would wait for the text and rumors within the rumors are that it wont affect effect existing visa holders
Me too waiting but hoping it wont be as chaos as it was in the countries ban(where cbp is not knowing clearly on who to detain and who to return and how to allow). Also stupid administration should at least give 1 day time but seems there is nothing today hence he would issue tomorrow and then it will be effective tomorrow night which means that i hardly have few hours to decide (if they include existing visa holders that are outside) :oops: :oops:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
It’s a publicity stunt for Trump, it’s election time. Even if the banks H1B extension, I would not worry much, anyways it’s better to get CAN PR than working on extensions and anyways for Indians, the picture isn’t rosy here, u just have to keep begging for H1B and renewals and GC process. At some point in life, people need to live with dignity.
Correct, its a publicity stunt. Most here are not planning to lose PR as they all moved just because of the GC issues in south.
Not everyone dont have big data or AI skillset. And its impossible to match the salaries(except few) of south and that too for the positions like developer/analyst/tester etc and also Toronto is 5 times costlier than Windsor hence the its very much cost effective and also dont need to hunt for new jobs.
Also this issue is nothing to do with H1, its only temporary. Of course its pain but with Toronto option too we need to bear pain. While comparing to salary cut and high cost of living, border city job is better. Also recently there wont be much rejections even with consulting positions as judgement had been issued recently to avoid those kind of h1 rejections hence its going to be less painful.
Also people like me want to work for few more years before doing something on my own hence moving/searching new job with new skill set and less salary is not attractive.

Reactions: BhargavDadhaniya

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Correct, its a publicity stunt. Most here are not planning to lose PR as they all moved just because of the GC issues in south.
Not everyone dont have big data or AI skillset. And its impossible to match the salaries(except few) of south and that too for the positions like developer/analyst/tester etc and also Toronto is 5 times costlier than Windsor hence the its very much cost effective and also dont need to hunt for new jobs.
Also this issue is nothing to do with H1, its only temporary. Of course its pain but with Toronto option too we need to bear pain. While comparing to salary cut and high cost of living, border city job is better. Also recently there wont be much rejections even with consulting positions as judgement had been issued recently to avoid those kind of h1 rejections hence its going to be less painful.
Also people like me want to work for few more years before doing something on my own hence moving/searching new job with new skill set and less salary is not attractive.
I hope the extra money you make is worth the daily worry you go through. Cheers.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
For everyones information - I crossed border today at Sarnia to work in Troy area and didnt face any extra questions, super smooth. I usually travel to Troy once in a month for few days on H1B and Live in Oakville. Todays travel was after being absent from US for 4 months (COVID)

Reactions: VOBuckeye