+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ trigger

buzz123

Mar 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

I've submitted my application for citizenship on October 27, 2014 and they received it on October 31st. On January 28, I got the acknowledgement of receipt and the test guide in an email. ECAS says that my application status is "In Process" on February 10, 2015 and it was moved to my local office (Edmonton) on February 19.

I'd like to know when do they usually request for an RQ. I have been out of Canada for only 25 days in the 4 years before the date of my application.

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
An RQ at least from what I have read can be given by Sydney office when the file goes 'In Process' or by the local office who I am sure who a few of their own checks or after test if the CO during interview still has doubts.

poushi24

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
buzz123 said:
Hello all,

I've submitted my application for citizenship on October 27, 2014 and they received it on October 31st. On January 28, I got the acknowledgement of receipt and the test guide in an email. ECAS says that my application status is "In Process" on February 10, 2015 and it was moved to my local office (Edmonton) on February 19.

I'd like to know when do they usually request for an RQ. I have been out of Canada for only 25 days in the 4 years before the date of my application.
RQ could be triggered from Sydney or your local office based on many unknown reasons. Sometimes people who never left the country been issued RQ. So it is not depending how much time you were out or not all depending on CIC and if they suspect something is not right then they might issue RQ.

buzz123

Mar 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So that means it's purely based on one's luck? Not very encouraging.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
buzz123 said:
So that means it's purely based on one's luck? Not very encouraging.
They have triggers allocated to the applicant. Got this from spreadsheet created by kelshaer or someone tracking applicants from Jan 2014.

A1 - Use of a suspect residential address.

A2 - NCB (Non-Computer Based) note in FOSS (Field Operations Support System), Warning or Note(s) in GCMS (Global Case Management System) indicating a concern. "Note you can google bulletins 2006 ob022 for more information"

A3 - Previous citizenship applications which were not approved, withdrawn, abandoned, renounced or revoked.

A4 - Discrepancy in absences between citizenship application and CIC information during the relevant 4 years period.

A5 - Self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed, with any travel during the relevant 4 year period.

A6 - Absences to home country to sell land/property or to take care of ill family member during the relevant 4 year period.

A7 - Applicant has self declared having less than 1095 days of physical presence.

- Family Characteristics:

B1 - Child born outside Canada during the relevant 4 year period.

B2 - A child has made a non-concurrent minor application.

- Documents

C1 - ID (provided in support of application) has been issued within 3 months of date of application.

C2 - Inconsistency between address on ID and address on application form.

C3 - Photograph and/or signature on the application do not resemble photograph and/or signature on identity document.

C4 - NPR time (non permanent resident time) has been used in the calculation of basic residence and the original entry data used does not appear on the IMM 1000, the Confirmation of Permanent Residence or in CIC records.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chikloo said:
A1 - Use of a suspect residential address.

A2 - NCB (Non-Computer Based) note in FOSS (Field Operations Support System), Warning or Note(s) in GCMS (Global Case Management System) indicating a concern. "Note you can google bulletins 2006 ob022 for more information"

A3 - Previous citizenship applications which were not approved, withdrawn, abandoned, renounced or revoked.

A4 - Discrepancy in absences between citizenship application and CIC information during the relevant 4 years period.

A5 - Self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed, with any travel during the relevant 4 year period.

A6 - Absences to home country to sell land/property or to take care of ill family member during the relevant 4 year period.

A7 - Applicant has self declared having less than 1095 days of physical presence.

B1 - Child born outside Canada during the relevant 4 year period.

B2 - A child has made a non-concurrent minor application.

- Documents

C1 - ID (provided in support of application) has been issued within 3 months of date of application.

C2 - Inconsistency between address on ID and address on application form.

C3 - Photograph and/or signature on the application do not resemble photograph and/or signature on identity document.

C4 - NPR time (non permanent resident time) has been used in the calculation of basic residence and the original entry data used does not appear on the IMM 1000, the Confirmation of Permanent Residence or in CIC records.
Be cautious with this list since it is not current. The RQ triggers have been revised many times since, but the CIC has not released the changes since it is part of an "active investigatory tool." This list itself was released in error in an individual's personal ATIP report in 2011 (?)

I highlighted in red triggers that appear to have been revoked, significantly changed or are no longer active.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Regarding "why" RQ is issued; the RQ triggers:

In many respects the effort to discern why RQ has been issued to a particular applicant is at best an academic question, of little practical import, perhaps even a waste of time (if the effort gets bogged down in speculation and wrangling with nuances). Of course there are instances in which the "why" is somewhat if not overtly obvious: a shortfall application, an application containing significant discrepancies either internally or with facts known to CIC, an applicant with NCB red flags in FOSS indicating potential concerns about PR compliance with the Residency Obligation, among some others. But for scores of RQ'd applicants, what triggered the RQ is difficult if not nearly impossible to figure out.

And generally there is no reason to figure out why RQ was issued. Once RQ has been given to an applicant, the applicant's residency is entirely in issue, and the applicant needs to submit proof sufficient to document all time periods declared to have been present in Canada.

Responding to RQ is not at all about responding to the RQ trigger. For example, if RQ was issued because the address on the applicant's drivers license is different from the residential address listed in the application, a entirely believeable response to why that happened is largely irrelevant. Rather, the RQ'd applicant needs to document where he or she was living, working, dates of travel, and existence of other evidence of a life lived in Canada for the full period of time the applicant declared to be in Canada.

That is, there rarely is anything to be gained by spinning one's wheels trying to figure out why RQ was issued.

BUT of course questions about what triggers RQ are really, usually, more about figuring out ways to avoid RQ in the first place.

And this is something CIC does not want prospective applicants for citizenship to know. So CIC conceals, as best CIC can, what the formal criteria are, or how they are interpreted or applied.

I strongly concur in the suggestion to be cautious with the list of risk factors posted above, even though they were specifically the formal triage criteria as of the summer of 2012 and probably constitute the core of what is considered. I concur in the caution precisely because we know, for sure, there have been changes: we know that the criteria have been at the least clarified and subject to certain interpretations, and some probably modified, and some possibly deleted, and perhaps others added.

Moreover, we never really knew more than snippets of internal CIC guidelines or instructions for applying the formal criteria.

That said, the list posted by chikloo is nonetheless a big clue about what CIC examines and considers relative to identifying which applicants it will give RQ.

Dismissing the myth:

(Or, what's luck got to with it? Nothing.)

One widespread misconception is that who gets RQ is largely a matter of luck, or a subjective decision by the individual at CIC who does the triage screening of the application and decides whether a pretest RQ should be sent or not.

Who is issued RQ is not about some vague sense of suspicion perceived by the screener at CIC, although if something is askew or incongruous in the application, arousing suspicion, of course the person doing the screening is far more likely to issue RQ.

There are specific criteria employed by those screening applications at Sydney, and even if at that time nothing triggers RQ, those same criteria are re-examined in the processing of the application at the local office (most notably in the pre-interview check and during the interview). Some of the criteria may be a bit vague, may allow for the exercise of some subjective discretion, but there is a formal list of criteria, and CIC probably has a fairly specific interpretation or approach to applying even those items in that list which seem a bit vague.

The post by chikloo above lists the triage criteria as they were in the summer of 2012, which appears to be based on a copy of the File Requirements Checklist that made its way into the forums back then, which was part of OB 407 issued in April 2012 (and subsequently modified multiple times).

A1 is an illustrative example: A1 - Use of a suspect residential address.

We do not really know, for sure, what this means. What is a "suspect address?"

We know, for example, that CIC has built an inventory of known or identified suspect addresses based on postal codes identified in the investigation of fraud being facilitated by a number of crooked-consultants, supplemented perhaps by other addresses identified as previously used by other applicants determined to have made fraudulent applications. Thus, an application which reflects one of these "suspect" addresses will trigger RQ (RQ plus some I'd imagine, as in an actual, physical investigation focused on the applicant).

For CIC to identify the use of a "suspect residential address" in this sense only requires running the applicant's address(es) against CIC's own database of known or identified suspect addresses. (Telephone numbers are probably, similarly, collected and compared.)

But my sense is that the "suspect residential address" risk factor may be significantly broader than that, and may involve some degree of comparative analysis, be that relative to prior addresses reported by the PR, or conducting directory checks (including Canada411 or Google searches), comparing area codes and pre-fixes in telephone numbers to the address, comparing location of employment to the reported address, perhaps comparing it to the place from which the application was shipped (based on the shipping information on the package the application arrived in), and of course the more obvious comparisons, like comparing it with the address on the applicant's drivers license or other identification submitted. And relative to what the screeners are focused on at any given time, this is probably fluid or dynamic, changing due to the directive-of-the-month for example.

That is, my sense is that the specific risk factors listed as triage criteria probably have, in turn, some further instructional guidelines for identifying what particular facts or circumstances compel checking that item off as an existing risk factor, for the particular applicant, for which RQ is to be issued. And, also, some supplemental directives, from time to time, instructing those doing the screening to focus on this or that in particular. (For example: a directive to those doing the screening to pay particular attention to comparing any handwriting in the application, including signatures in passport and on identification, perhaps including handwriting on the package the application arrived in; then in a different month the focus may be on comparing passport and identification photos.)

My sense is that it is in the guidelines for the respective formally listed criteria that most of the changes to the criteria have been made in the last two years. For example, I'd bet that "self-employed" is still a factor, a risk-factor, but unlike the approach taken in 2012, when the mere combination of any reported self-employment and any travel outside Canada triggered RQ, my sense is that for the applicant who reports a period of "self-employment," there are additional criteria or factors the triage screener considers before determining whether it is a reason-to-question-residency such that RQ will be issued.

Similarly for unemployment.

And, similarly as to C1:

Some think C1 has been eliminated from the triage criteria (largely because, I think, some applicants have used such ID and not been issued RQ). In contrast, my sense is that this is a factor which still triggers at least further scrutiny or analysis, and may or may not lead to RQ depending on how other facts and circumstances in the application are assessed along with this factor. (It warrants noting that this has been a risk factor for over a decade, it being one of those expicitly listed as such in the 2005 Operational Bulletin which became an appendix to CP 5 Residence.) I do not know whether CIC somehow distinguishes between renewed forms of identification versus newly issued identification (the latter being a fairly salient signal of a recent arrival, at least at that address if not an arrival in-Canada), or whether there are other contextual considerations employed. Given the history behind this particular risk indicator, however, it seem unlikely it was totally dropped; more likely it is considered in context, sometimes leading to RQ, other times not leading to RQ, again depending.

But overall, for the most part, trying to manipulate all the potential factors which could be considered by CIC in determining who gets RQ, is probably not a worthwhile expenditure of a prospective applicant's time and effort.

OK. I have. I spent many years following CIC's approach to residency, since long before OB 407 and the triage criteria for issuing pretest RQ was employed. But I am a jurist, and early on I was intrigued by the morass of conflicting jurisprudence in which citizenship residency questions were deeply mired. It's been a bit of a hobby.

And sure, what I learned influenced my own approach to applying for citizenship, including avoiding the use of what, back in 2013, were still thought to be poison terms, like "self-employed," and waiting a long while more to apply. (I first met the threshold for 1095 days of actual physical presence by early fall of 2011. I did not apply until summer 2013, nearly two years later, my application arriving in Sydney early in July, 2013.)

And I did not get RQ. I took the oath barely eight months after applying, which was only the second oath ceremony in the city where I live since I submitted my application, the previous one taking place less than four months after I had applied. (In other words, my application went through the process, from submission to oath, as fast as it possibly could given where I live.)

But I would not recommend my approach generally. The effort-to-benefit ratio is dismal. I had other incentives to do the research, and a year after taking the oath I still read every new citizenship case decided and published by the Federal Courts. (And a lot of other decisions involving CIC as well.)

Moreover, the odds it will make a difference are not good. In fact, an attempt to massage the facts in an effort to avoid RQ might be rather transparent and have the opposite effect, inviting questions if not suspicions, tipping the scales toward the issuance of RQ in circumstances where RQ might not have been issued otherwise.

Generally, at least four out of five, probably more like seven out of eight applicants these days, will be processed without being issued RQ. Thus, for the most part there is no need for four out of five qualified applicants to think about or do anything more to avoid RQ than to fill out the application carefully, completely, and accurately, including complete and accurate declarations as to international travel, and have been APP > 1095 days. That is it. And watch eCas and the mail, and prepare for the test.

For the 12 to 15 percent (perhaps less these days) of applicants who are issued RQ (higher percentages were issued RQ in 2011 and even more so in 2012), the majority of these probably could not have done much if anything differently which would have precluded being issued RQ.

Well, sure, perhaps some maneuvers could make a difference; for example, perhaps timing could have an impact (probably did for me). With the effective date for the revised residency provisions looming soon, few are probably contemplating waiting many months longer to apply in order to reduce the risk of RQ.

Always being employed by a readily recognized Canadian employer, working at a recognized Canadian facility, might fare better than a self-employed PR doing consulting for retail marketing in foreign markets. Most such factors, however, are dictated by who we are. It would be foolish to take, or not take, a particular job because of a perceived risk of RQ otherwise. It would be foolish to not move to another province to take advantage of an important career opportunity out of fear it might delay in the processing of a citizenship application.

I am not trying to say the RQ risk factors, the reasons-to-question-residency are irrelevant, not worth considering. For the vast majority of applicants, however, RQ looms as a potential fly-in-the-oinment, but practically is, probably, not going to be their problem, and it is not a reason to expend a lot of extra time or effort, not something which should influence the real-life decision-making immigrants ordinarily make (where to live, when to move, what job to take, and so on).

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
dpenabill said:
Regarding "why" RQ is issued; the RQ triggers:

In many respects the effort to discern why RQ has been issued to a particular applicant is at best an academic question, of little practical import, perhaps even a waste of time (if the effort gets bogged down in speculation and wrangling with nuances). Of course there are instances in which the "why" is somewhat if not overtly obvious: a shortfall application, an application containing significant discrepancies either internally or with facts known to CIC, an applicant with NCB red flags in FOSS indicating potential concerns about PR compliance with the Residency Obligation, among some others. But for scores of RQ'd applicants, what triggered the RQ is difficult if not nearly impossible to figure out.

And generally there is no reason to figure out why RQ was issued. Once RQ has been given to an applicant, the applicant's residency is entirely in issue, and the applicant needs to submit proof sufficient to document all time periods declared to have been present in Canada.

Responding to RQ is not at all about responding to the RQ trigger. For example, if RQ was issued because the address on the applicant's drivers license is different from the residential address listed in the application, a entirely believeable response to why that happened is largely irrelevant. Rather, the RQ'd applicant needs to document where he or she was living, working, dates of travel, and existence of other evidence of a life lived in Canada for the full period of time the applicant declared to be in Canada.

That is, there rarely is anything to be gained by spinning one's wheels trying to figure out why RQ was issued.

BUT of course questions about what triggers RQ are really, usually, more about figuring out ways to avoid RQ in the first place.

And this is something CIC does not want prospective applicants for citizenship to know. So CIC conceals, as best CIC can, what the formal criteria are, or how they are interpreted or applied.

I strongly concur in the suggestion to be cautious with the list of risk factors posted above, even though they were specifically the formal triage criteria as of the summer of 2012 and probably constitute the core of what is considered. I concur in the caution precisely because we know, for sure, there have been changes: we know that the criteria have been at the least clarified and subject to certain interpretations, and some probably modified, and some possibly deleted, and perhaps others added.

Moreover, we never really knew more than snippets of internal CIC guidelines or instructions for applying the formal criteria.

That said, the list posted by chikloo is nonetheless a big clue about what CIC examines and considers relative to identifying which applicants it will give RQ.

Dismissing the myth:

(Or, what's luck got to with it? Nothing.)

One widespread misconception is that who gets RQ is largely a matter of luck, or a subjective decision by the individual at CIC who does the triage screening of the application and decides whether a pretest RQ should be sent or not.

Who is issued RQ is not about some vague sense of suspicion perceived by the screener at CIC, although if something is askew or incongruous in the application, arousing suspicion, of course the person doing the screening is far more likely to issue RQ.

There are specific criteria employed by those screening applications at Sydney, and even if at that time nothing triggers RQ, those same criteria are re-examined in the processing of the application at the local office (most notably in the pre-interview check and during the interview). Some of the criteria may be a bit vague, may allow for the exercise of some subjective discretion, but there is a formal list of criteria, and CIC probably has a fairly specific interpretation or approach to applying even those items in that list which seem a bit vague.

The post by chikloo above lists the triage criteria as they were in the summer of 2012, which appears to be based on a copy of the File Requirements Checklist that made its way into the forums back then, which was part of OB 407 issued in April 2012 (and subsequently modified multiple times).

A1 is an illustrative example: A1 - Use of a suspect residential address.

We do not really know, for sure, what this means. What is a "suspect address?"

We know, for example, that CIC has built an inventory of known or identified suspect addresses based on postal codes identified in the investigation of fraud being facilitated by a number of crooked-consultants, supplemented perhaps by other addresses identified as previously used by other applicants determined to have made fraudulent applications. Thus, an application which reflects one of these "suspect" addresses will trigger RQ (RQ plus some I'd imagine, as in an actual, physical investigation focused on the applicant).

For CIC to identify the use of a "suspect residential address" in this sense only requires running the applicant's address(es) against CIC's own database of known or identified suspect addresses. (Telephone numbers are probably, similarly, collected and compared.)

But my sense is that the "suspect residential address" risk factor may be significantly broader than that, and may involve some degree of comparative analysis, be that relative to prior addresses reported by the PR, or conducting directory checks (including Canada411 or Google searches), comparing area codes and pre-fixes in telephone numbers to the address, comparing location of employment to the reported address, perhaps comparing it to the place from which the application was shipped (based on the shipping information on the package the application arrived in), and of course the more obvious comparisons, like comparing it with the address on the applicant's drivers license or other identification submitted. And relative to what the screeners are focused on at any given time, this is probably fluid or dynamic, changing due to the directive-of-the-month for example.

That is, my sense is that the specific risk factors listed as triage criteria probably have, in turn, some further instructional guidelines for identifying what particular facts or circumstances compel checking that item off as an existing risk factor, for the particular applicant, for which RQ is to be issued. And, also, some supplemental directives, from time to time, instructing those doing the screening to focus on this or that in particular. (For example: a directive to those doing the screening to pay particular attention to comparing any handwriting in the application, including signatures in passport and on identification, perhaps including handwriting on the package the application arrived in; then in a different month the focus may be on comparing passport and identification photos.)

My sense is that it is in the guidelines for the respective formally listed criteria that most of the changes to the criteria have been made in the last two years. For example, I'd bet that "self-employed" is still a factor, a risk-factor, but unlike the approach taken in 2012, when the mere combination of any reported self-employment and any travel outside Canada triggered RQ, my sense is that for the applicant who reports a period of "self-employment," there are additional criteria or factors the triage screener considers before determining whether it is a reason-to-question-residency such that RQ will be issued.

Similarly for unemployment.

And, similarly as to C1:

Some think C1 has been eliminated from the triage criteria (largely because, I think, some applicants have used such ID and not been issued RQ). In contrast, my sense is that this is a factor which still triggers at least further scrutiny or analysis, and may or may not lead to RQ depending on how other facts and circumstances in the application are assessed along with this factor. (It warrants noting that this has been a risk factor for over a decade, it being one of those expicitly listed as such in the 2005 Operational Bulletin which became an appendix to CP 5 Residence.) I do not know whether CIC somehow distinguishes between renewed forms of identification versus newly issued identification (the latter being a fairly salient signal of a recent arrival, at least at that address if not an arrival in-Canada), or whether there are other contextual considerations employed. Given the history behind this particular risk indicator, however, it seem unlikely it was totally dropped; more likely it is considered in context, sometimes leading to RQ, other times not leading to RQ, again depending.

But overall, for the most part, trying to manipulate all the potential factors which could be considered by CIC in determining who gets RQ, is probably not a worthwhile expenditure of a prospective applicant's time and effort.

OK. I have. I spent many years following CIC's approach to residency, since long before OB 407 and the triage criteria for issuing pretest RQ was employed. But I am a jurist, and early on I was intrigued by the morass of conflicting jurisprudence in which citizenship residency questions were deeply mired. It's been a bit of a hobby.

And sure, what I learned influenced my own approach to applying for citizenship, including avoiding the use of what, back in 2013, were still thought to be poison terms, like "self-employed," and waiting a long while more to apply. (I first met the threshold for 1095 days of actual physical presence by early fall of 2011. I did not apply until summer 2013, nearly two years later, my application arriving in Sydney early in July, 2013.)

And I did not get RQ. I took the oath barely eight months after applying, which was only the second oath ceremony in the city where I live since I submitted my application, the previous one taking place less than four months after I had applied. (In other words, my application went through the process, from submission to oath, as fast as it possibly could given where I live.)

But I would not recommend my approach generally. The effort-to-benefit ratio is dismal. I had other incentives to do the research, and a year after taking the oath I still read every new citizenship case decided and published by the Federal Courts. (And a lot of other decisions involving CIC as well.)

Moreover, the odds it will make a difference are not good. In fact, an attempt to massage the facts in an effort to avoid RQ might be rather transparent and have the opposite effect, inviting questions if not suspicions, tipping the scales toward the issuance of RQ in circumstances where RQ might not have been issued otherwise.

Generally, at least four out of five, probably more like seven out of eight applicants these days, will be processed without being issued RQ. Thus, for the most part there is no need for four out of five qualified applicants to think about or do anything more to avoid RQ than to fill out the application carefully, completely, and accurately, including complete and accurate declarations as to international travel, and have been APP > 1095 days. That is it. And watch eCas and the mail, and prepare for the test.

For the 12 to 15 percent (perhaps less these days) of applicants who are issued RQ (higher percentages were issued RQ in 2011 and even more so in 2012), the majority of these probably could not have done much if anything differently which would have precluded being issued RQ.

Well, sure, perhaps some maneuvers could make a difference; for example, perhaps timing could have an impact (probably did for me). With the effective date for the revised residency provisions looming soon, few are probably contemplating waiting many months longer to apply in order to reduce the risk of RQ.

Always being employed by a readily recognized Canadian employer, working at a recognized Canadian facility, might fare better than a self-employed PR doing consulting for retail marketing in foreign markets. Most such factors, however, are dictated by who we are. It would be foolish to take, or not take, a particular job because of a perceived risk of RQ otherwise. It would be foolish to not move to another province to take advantage of an important career opportunity out of fear it might delay in the processing of a citizenship application.

I am not trying to say the RQ risk factors, the reasons-to-question-residency are irrelevant, not worth considering. For the vast majority of applicants, however, RQ looms as a potential fly-in-the-oinment, but practically is, probably, not going to be their problem, and it is not a reason to expend a lot of extra time or effort, not something which should influence the real-life decision-making immigrants ordinarily make (where to live, when to move, what job to take, and so on).
A very good read indeed! Very well thought out and argued. I was laboring over the minutiae of doing things, to be on the right track to avoid this dreaded trigger. Dreaded not just because of being singled out, but far more importantly because of the insanely unreasonable time it adds to the application process, as well as the lack of finality and accountability (on the part of the government) that it brings with it. In my case, I'm not even remotely close to being ready to apply yet. Heck, I'm not even "permanently settled" in Canada for cryin' out loud, and most likely don't plan to do so for another year!

But I wanted to make sure I'm on the right track from the get go, and so was planning to tailor my existence in Canada, to avoid the slightest possibility of this happening to me (by doing things such as getting a job in an "easily recognizable" company, for instance). However, reading your thorough analysis and reasoning, have convinced me that it is a foolish endeavor to do this. Of course, I will take necessary precautions, as long as whatever I'm doing does not cause major disruptions in my life, such as those you rightly point out in your post.

It is unfathomable to me, that there is such a callous attitude towards this whole citizenship process in Canada! Why not simply raise the application fees substantially and hire more people to do the preocessing? I'm absolutely and positively sure that 99% of the applicants would not have a problem with that! It is, after all, a once-in-a-lifetime event, and one of the most significant one at that.

By sharp contrast, in the US this would be unthinkable. Many of my relatives and friends are naturalized citizens of the US. The process was absolutely straightforward for them with no "barriers" or "hassles" to speak of. Virtually all of them got theirs in about 6 months. Of course, this assumes that one has no criminal issues and such, in which case it could take longer. But even under these circumstances, there is still a major difference between the US and Canada, and it is a very important one. That is one of accountability. They simply cannot put a file on hold indefinitely. A writ of mandamus can be filed if the file is not adjudicated within a reasonable time frame. And by "reasonable" I don't mean 3, 4 and 5 years!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Generally, actually, but for the disastrous OB 407 procedure implemented without adequate study, planning, or preparation, in conjunction with some other more or less draconian measures employed while Harper's Conservatives formed the government, for the vast majority of PRs who apply for citizenship, the process is indeed straight-forward and without complication. My own experience is by far the most typical experience: application made, notice for interview received, one phone call from CIC along the way, oath scheduled for and taken, less than a year start to finish. Sure, it did not go anywhere near so smoothly for scores of others. But the number for whom things do not go so smoothly has been steadily declining.

Leading to this:

My previous observations are, to a significant extent, dated.

Most signs suggest the number of applicants being issued RQ these days is way, way down. We rarely see reports of pre-test RQ. Most reports of RQ appear to be based on more or less actual concerns about the accuracy or completeness of the physical presence declaration, and less so the risk indicators indicated in the triage criteria which was (perhaps to some degree still is) set out in the File Requirements Checklist (as cited above by chikloo).

The real key to avoiding RQ, avoiding slipping into a physical-presence-case (or, for those who applied prior to June 2015, a residency case), is foremost meeting the qualifications for citizenship, and then providing complete and accurate information in the application form and the physical presence calculation. Obviously, the risks go down for those who have been employed full time by a readily recognized Canadian employer. Obviously the risks go up for anyone whose drivers license has a different address than that declared in the application. And so on, recognizing that while the risk indicators are probably not so technically or formally applied these days, most of them relate to actual, potential reasons for questioning some aspect of the information submitted in the application.

Obvious examples: any NCB notes in FOSS regarding potential concerns about PR Residency Obligation concerns (indicating concerns); children born abroad during the relevant time period (indicating applicant was likely abroad for extended time); inconsistencies between address on ID and address listed on form (indicating need to confirm actual place of abode). And so on.

Also note that while more than a few are still suffering inordinately excessive time lines in the processing of their applications, generally the time line has been coming down and is likely to be far shorter than it has historically been in the previous several years. Even those bogged down in non-routine cases should see considerably shorter time lines overall.

For emphasis: meet the requirements and have a buffer of time present; and be complete and accurate in the application and presence calculation. The qualified applicant who does this has very good odds of sailing through smoothly and becoming a citizen in less than a year.

In contrast, if the application contains inconsistencies, inaccuracies (including omissions or discrepancies), or to some extent incongruities, the risk of problems goes up. Failure to precisely, and accurately, report dates of ALL travel looms as perhaps the most common reason for problems.

McClane

Star Member
Aug 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
747-captain said:
By sharp contrast, in the US this would be unthinkable. Many of my relatives and friends are naturalized citizens of the US. The process was absolutely straightforward for them with no "barriers" or "hassles" to speak of. Virtually all of them got theirs in about 6 months. Of course, this assumes that one has no criminal issues and such, in which case it could take longer. But even under these circumstances, there is still a major difference between the US and Canada, and it is a very important one. That is one of accountability. They simply cannot put a file on hold indefinitely. A writ of mandamus can be filed if the file is not adjudicated within a reasonable time frame. And by "reasonable" I don't mean 3, 4 and 5 years!
I thought the US citizenship process takes many years and even decades. I travel there often and some of my colleagues have been there since grad school and then some 10 years after that they're nowhere close to citizenship. They've been legally working full time, no criminal background, no travel abroad, etc. I'm not an expert, of course, but it seems that is has to do with your country of origin or something along those lines. What I'm trying to say is that from purely anecdotal evidence, it seems to me that the Canadian citizenship is much easier and faster to get than the US one.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
McClane said:
I thought the US citizenship process takes many years and even decades. I travel there often and some of my colleagues have been there since grad school and then some 10 years after that they're nowhere close to citizenship. They've been legally working full time, no criminal background, no travel abroad, etc. I'm not an expert, of course, but it seems that is has to do with your country of origin or something along those lines. What I'm trying to say is that from purely anecdotal evidence, it seems to me that the Canadian citizenship is much easier and faster to get than the US one.
This is because it takes a long time to get the US PR (green card). People from some countries have to wait 6 to 10+ years. The US citizenship residency requirement is 183+ days each year for 5 years, but their processing time there is only 6 months to a year.

McClane

Star Member
Aug 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ZingyDNA said:
This is because it takes a long time to get the US PR (green card). People from some countries have to wait 6 to 10+ years. The US citizenship residency requirement is 183+ days each year for 5 years, but their processing time there is only 6 months to a year.
Thanks for the clarification. Then I think it's not really accurate to look at one part of the process only to suggest the US process is faster. One really has to look at the whole cycle. It's fantastic you're application is processed in six months, but if it took you 15 years just to be able to submit it, maybe the whole process is not that great time wise. At least not compared to 2-4 years.

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
chikloo said:
They have triggers allocated to the applicant. Got this from spreadsheet created by kelshaer or someone tracking applicants from Jan 2014.

@ eileenf

I had both these in my ATIP reports of Aug 15.

A7 ( Self Declared less number of days than 1095.
& C1 ( it is surprising since one can stay for 10 years straight in Canada as PR and applied and after applying with new PR card within 3 months for Citizenship since the old ones expired and get these notes.
And @ the time of interview, the CO was keen to enquire if I was self-employed so I am not sure if she noted A5 as her note. And yes I have my business here so that is what is self-employed.