Waived
Passport Req..
07-07-10
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-10
LANDED..........
13-12-10
torontosm said:
Unfortunately, that is the way the world is. It's not perfect, but I would say that if evidence showed that a large proportion of people from a certain ethnic group had a history of fraud, then they should be scrutinized more than other ethnicities.

The criteria of nationality/ethnicity shouldn't come as any surprise since it is already being used by virtually every country in the world (including Canada) when considering whether to issue someone a visit visa.
I agree with Torontosm. In an ideal world, no one should be suspected based on where they are from, what type of employment they have or how much they travel. But if CIC is taking mainly those factors into consideration on whether or not to issue an RQ, that means that there are a higher number of dishonest people who fall into those categories. And yes, they ruin/delay the citizenship process for everybody else who apply honestly and fairly...

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
I just mailed in my application for Citizenship today---I am a Pakistani citizen who has been in Canada since the day he landed without any time away. I have been continiously employed (with just 1 gap of a month where I was job hunting) with major, well known employers. Even with all that I cannot be sure that I won't get an RQ. I can only hope and pray for the best

Ethan-xx

Aug 10, 2013
I Just Came back From Citizenship test today , I AM self-employed NO RQ before test
or during an interview all went very smooth . there is one thing I think I would like to
share with you guys ...in my test there today most of people got RQ they are from
middle eastern or Indian ....I think somehow CIC they should have discrimination.

Drea

Star Member
Dec 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
0632 | 4131
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-09
Doc's Request.
16-07-09
AOR Received.
22-12-09
IELTS Request
16-07-09
Med's Request
20-05-10
Med's Done....
13-06-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-07-10
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-10
LANDED..........
13-12-10
Ethan-xx said:
I Just Came back From Citizenship test today , I AM self-employed NO RQ before test
or during an interview all went very smooth . there is one thing I think I would like to
share with you guys ...in my test there today most of people got RQ they are from
middle eastern or Indian ....I think somehow CIC they should have discrimination.
Oh no... :(

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ethan-xx said:
Without knowing the reasons for RQ issuance its hard to say this really...on a statistical basis India, China and Pakistan are among major source PR countries and as such major source citizenship applicants countries...I'd expect RQs issued to such nationals to be higher in number than others.

touché

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
Msafiri said:
Without knowing the reasons for RQ issuance its hard to say this really...on a statistical basis India, China and Pakistan are among major source PR countries and as such major source citizenship applicants countries...I'd expect RQs issued to such nationals to be higher in number than others.
True that...

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
So, if a disproportionate number of fraudsters were Indian that would be reason to suspect all Indian applicants? Got it. There is something in the law called "individualized suspicion" that this would seem to violate.
Somewhat like driving I guess - the insurance premiums for male drivers under 21 with say less than 2 years driving experience is higher than that for male drivers over 30 with more than 5 years driving experience. Its a fact that document fraud in say parts of Asia, ME, Africa etc is higher than western Europe based on visa issuance/ application intelligence. I recall seeing a CIC list of citizenship fraud by country which included Lebanon (highest number), Iran, US, France, South Africa, Egypt, India so a spread here.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Msafiri said:
Somewhat like driving I guess - the insurance premiums for male drivers under 21 with say less than 2 years driving experience is higher than that for male drivers over 30 with more than 5 years driving experience. Its a fact that document fraud in say parts of Asia, ME, Africa etc is higher than western Europe based on visa issuance/ application intelligence. I recall seeing a CIC list of citizenship fraud by country which included Lebanon (highest number), Iran, US, France, South Africa, Egypt, India so a spread here.

I think I saw that -- if I remember correctly, the sample size was so small, 30 or so, that it was pretty useless, and it was some specialized subset also, maybe illegal immigrants. Israel was also on the list, because it was people without status it was biased towards visa-exempt countries. I think fraudulent citizenship applications have a different profile.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
I think I saw that -- if I remember correctly, the sample size was so small, 30 or so, that it was pretty useless, and it was some specialized subset also, maybe illegal immigrants. Israel was also on the list, because it was people without status it was biased towards visa-exempt countries. I think fraudulent citizenship applications have a different profile.
My bad I should have stated it was in relation to residency fraud for Citizenship applications. Yeah sample size was small definitely less than 100...I guess someone could try and get an ATIP for this from CIC but all you'll get is a redacted printout. I know the forum consistently has RQ applicants who state there shouldn't be a reason for this. Again statistics would have to clarify this - CIC doesn't state what proportion is for Quality control etc although released ATIP shows self employment was the primary trigger. If I was a CIC lawyer I'd be fairly relaxed with the RQ process because the FC case law in most of the decisions I've reviewed show most RQd applicants actually fail the residency requirements...always a similar profile...can't show documents or travel documents have undeclared travel stamps, lack of Canadian employment, minimal income often well below social assistance levels so how does one survive in Canada etc.

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
I think Msafiri has just nailed it right on the head. In addition to whatever the trigger list the CIC officer have to their avail, each officer, I bet, uses his own judgment. If I was an immigration officer reviewing two cases: one of an individual with high income, steady employment record (and not in a 7-Eleven shop but in industries like Oil and Gas, Banking etc), owning his own house, having kids go to school and producing school records for the entire period in review, scoring high marks for the English languish test, and the other being self-employed, renting aboard, etc., - it does not take a genius to say who would receive the RQ. I have 7 friends of mine who meets the criteria of the first individual I outlined above who have applied for their citizenship within the last 2 years, and guess what? All of them have received their citizenship with from 9 months to 13 months (in Calgary) with no RQ, as you can imagine.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RussCan said:
I think Msafiri has just nailed it right on the head. In addition to whatever the trigger list the CIC officer have to their avail, each officer, I bet, uses his own judgment. If I was an immigration officer reviewing two cases: one of an individual with high income, steady employment record (and not in a 7-Eleven shop but in industries like Oil and Gas, Banking etc), owning his own house, having kids go to school and producing school records for the entire period in review, scoring high marks for the English languish test, and the other being self-employed, renting aboard, etc., - it does not take a genius to say who would receive the RQ.
However, there are several points in application process when RQ can be issued. I think, Sydney is more about automatic scoring of applicants based on RQ criteria policies. At this point nothing is known about income levels or home ownership-- this info simply is not to be found in original application. It's during second stage, namely in local office and during an interview, where an officer can take a closer look at an applicant. Separation of responsibilities between CIC offices would make sense.

RussCan said:
I have 7 friends of mine who meets the criteria of the first individual I outlined above who have applied for their citizenship within the last 2 years, and guess what? All of them have received their citizenship with from 9 months to 13 months (in Calgary) with no RQ, as you can imagine.
Important question would be when they applied and at what time their applications major processing phase took place. A lot of things have changed during in the last year, not for the best for the applicants.

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
Actually it was known. I forgot to mention that they had attached Home Tax bills for all three years with their names on it, a letter from work stating their position and their remuneration in the original application.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Ethan-xx said:
I question the veracity of this statement. Of course this kind of thing happened a year or two yrs ago when there was a dramatic increase in RQ, but not these days--unless there's a discrepancy between what you claimed on the application and the evidence you presents (e.g. your passport stamps, etc) at the interview. I know people, South Asians, who have a sketchy employment history, working in a factory on and off, but got their citizenship in a yr.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
EasyRider said:
However, there are several points in application process when RQ can be issued. I think, Sydney is more about automatic scoring of applicants based on RQ criteria policies. At this point nothing is known about income levels or home ownership-- this info simply is not to be found in original application. It's during second stage, namely in local office and during an interview, where an officer can take a closer look at an applicant. Separation of responsibilities between CIC offices would make sense.
LOL. Bullsh*t. Your income levels, home ownership, etc. play no factor in whether you get RQ or not. You have no clue what's going on these days. It's all about whether you met your residency requirement. I know a number of people (South Asian/Indian) with minimum wage jobs and no house who got their citizenship in about a yr. If you pass the initial screening in Sydney and get transferred to your local CIC without getting RQ, these days you'll most likely get invited to the test and the oath soon after. Things have changed.