+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Routine vaccinations for baby on a Temporary Resident Permit in Toronto

PMV

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Hi everyone, are routine vaccinations free for babies in Canada on a TRP?

Asking because my partner and I are planning a baby next year and we will have the birth in India (we both are currently PR holders and will apply for citizenship in August). As we will need to sponsor the baby for PR, if we bring it to Canada on a TRP while the PR is in progress, I was wondering how would we go about the vaccinations and if they are free. We live in Toronto currently and I understand OHIP won't activate for the baby until it receives PR or finishes 3 months of residing here.

Please advise and thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
First of all a TRP or TRV is not guaranteed. It is pretty hit or miss so you’ll need to have a plan B if the baby doesn’t get a TRV or TRP and one parent will have to return to Canada until the baby gets PR. If the baby is able to get to Canada before PR there were free vaccination clinics run by public health. There is a good chance they are closed due to covid. Babies still need to go to the doctors for well baby visits. Vaccinations are not that expensive so you may choose to pay for them so you limit the exposure of your child to multiple clinics. It is impossible to make plans when it comes to things like public health clinics with covid. It will really depend on what is going on in the world.

Reactions: PMV

PMV

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
First of all a TRP or TRV is not guaranteed. It is pretty hit or miss so you’ll need to have a plan B if the baby doesn’t get a TRV or TRP and one parent will have to return to Canada until the baby gets PR. If the baby is able to get to Canada before PR there were free vaccination clinics run by public health. There is a good chance they are closed due to covid. Babies still need to go to the doctors for well baby visits. Vaccinations are not that expensive so you may choose to pay for them so you limit the exposure of your child to multiple clinics. It is impossible to make plans when it comes to things like public health clinics with covid. It will really depend on what is going on in the world.
I agree with you. Thanks for the info about free vaccination clinics, had no idea about that. Didn't know that one can pay for vaccinations too! Appreciate it.