+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RO for a minor..!!

abudhabian

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
Hi all,

I have a son who become 5 years in this current month of July, he become PR in 2013 but was with his mother who is a PR as well since then and both were outside Canada.

I am about to renew my PR card, and was thinking to renew my son's PR card as well,but want to know if residency obligation applies on minors as well,since he didnt have any choice to stay in or out of Canada.

other scenario is,I apply to renounce his PR status and once done,i immediately sponsor him again, will CIC reject his case since he had a chance to be PR before and didnt meet RO,or becuz he is a minor child they might approve it.!

thanks

abudhabian

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
he is 5 years old, how can he make a decision at this age?beides we were governed by finding a job in Canada, which I recenly found last year as an Engineer,but was not an easy period to be separated from your family ,so I am intending to bring them,but wife and kid didnt meet the RO, what shall i do regarding my son PR? shall i try to renew it, or renounce it and sponsor him again along with 2 newly born daughters..!!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Is he in Canada now or not? Are you planning to bring him to Canada in the near future? Are you travelling with him from Canada in the near future?

abudhabian

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
Is he in Canada now or not? Are you planning to bring him to Canada in the near future? Are you travelling with him from Canada in the near future?
no he is not, and yes i want to bring my whole family but since wife and son cant meet the RO ,i thought to renounce their pr for now and sponsor them again, so once they r here,they dont face complications about their PR status...?

what is ur opnion,plz?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I wouldn't renounce the PR of either immediately. I would attempt a PRTD first (your son should be fine) and if it's refused, then consider your options. The time to re apply for a PR is probably much shorter than the time it takes to appeal.