+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RO calculation

kimsuk

May 23, 2024
Hi, If someone can help me out to see if I meet the RO for entering Canada and PR Card renewal later when its due.

Became PR on - July 5, 2021 ( COPR )
Left Canada on - Jan 7, 2022
Planning to return on - June 30, 2024
Card expires on - December 2026

Do you guys foresee any problems during PoE at Airport or during the PR Card renewal application.
Would they wave me through or any questions asked or referred to secondary review.
Would they ask me what I was doing outside Canada and would it matter to them. What kind of questions can I expect.
How would the officer know when I left Canada as there are no exit stamps on passport. Would there be a risk of the officer doing RO check and concluding that I am cutting close to 730 day obligation not realizing that I was already resident for 6 months before leaving Canada.
With the dates listed above when can I realistically apply for renewal, and if there is a chance for me to leave Canada for a short 2 week visit in between.
Also my understanding is that 730 days can be non-consecutive. Thanks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, If someone can help me out to see if I meet the RO for entering Canada and PR Card renewal later when its due.

Became PR on - July 5, 2021 ( COPR )
Left Canada on - Jan 7, 2022
Planning to return on - June 30, 2024
Card expires on - December 2026
Easiest way to calculate is if total days OUTSIDE Canada is LESS THAN 1095 days in most recent five years (or from date of becoming a PR if less than five years) at time of examination, you are in compliance.

Since on June 30 2024 there will be LESS THAN 1095 days TOTAL since the day you became a PR, you would be in compliance even if you had only been in Canada one day.

Do you guys foresee any problems during PoE at Airport or during the PR Card renewal application.
Would they wave me through or any questions asked or referred to secondary review.
Would they ask me what I was doing outside Canada and would it matter to them. What kind of questions can I expect.
How would the officer know when I left Canada as there are no exit stamps on passport. Would there be a risk of the officer doing RO check and concluding that I am cutting close to 730 day obligation not realizing that I was already resident for 6 months before leaving Canada.
With the dates listed above when can I realistically apply for renewal, and if there is a chance for me to leave Canada for a short 2 week visit in between.
Also my understanding is that 730 days can be non-consecutive. Thanks.
-No problems during POE at airport. PR Card renewal: too early to say.
-Who cares if they ask? You'll be in compliance. Just tell the truth.
-Why worry about this?
-You will not have to renew or even be eligible to submit for renewal before March 2026. Silly to discuss before then. But if you were to stay 9in Canada from your return in June 2024 until you submit, you should be fine and nothing to worry about. How close you will be depends on total days outside Canada - and a few weeks away is not going to affect that much.

Reactions: kimsuk and YVR123

kimsuk

May 23, 2024
Easiest way to calculate is if total days OUTSIDE Canada is LESS THAN 1095 days in most recent five years (or from date of becoming a PR if less than five years) at time of examination, you are in compliance.

Since on June 30 2024 there will be LESS THAN 1095 days TOTAL since the day you became a PR, you would be in compliance even if you had only been in Canada one day.

-No problems during POE at airport. PR Card renewal: too early to say.
-Who cares if they ask? You'll be in compliance. Just tell the truth.
-Why worry about this?
-You will not have to renew or even be eligible to submit for renewal before March 2026. Silly to discuss before then. But if you were to stay 9in Canada from your return in June 2024 until you submit, you should be fine and nothing to worry about. How close you will be depends on total days outside Canada - and a few weeks away is not going to affect that much.
Thank you, that was helpful. So, from what I understand from what you said, after my return on June 30th, even if I had to leave Canada for a couple of weeks, my next RO/PoE examination on return would still be in compliance as long as I am within the 1095 days.?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you, that was helpful. So, from what I understand from what you said, after my return on June 30th, even if I had to leave Canada for a couple of weeks, my next RO/PoE examination on return would still be in compliance as long as I am within the 1095 days.?
I'd phrase it differently: until July 5, 2026, you are in compliance if you have been outside Canada less than 1095 days since your day of landing. That's it. If that's with two weeks away or 28 days or six months or six minutes or whatever, doesn't matter, that's your own business. (May be wise to have some extra or buffer, as much for your own exigencies as anything, but again - up to you). The rest is just arithmetic and you keeping track of your days in /out of Canada.

After that date, the test is whether you have been outside less than 1095 days from the day five years before (whatever date you happen to get examined), that is, it's a rolling window of five years back from any day.