Aug 12th, 2013
Passport Req..
Sept 12th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Praying for sooner than later, with no delays
LANDED..........
Unknown
Hasni said:
good info indeed, pray you get you visa soon, inshAllah, have you sent your PP for visa stamping !!
I hope our prayers are answered. Delhi visa office asks for passport early. They have now had it since September.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
May2010applicant said:
@ Hasni. I appreciate your concerns but there is no need to engage a lawyer / accountant at this stage. It is highly unlikely that someone will be brought into the net of taxation on the basis of having a license or a credit card alone. These are secondary factors and are usually used by CRA in conjunction with other factors / reasons to declare you as a deemed resident.
Not required, but if you want to be extra careful about the matter then my advice to you is not to use your credit card to build your credit history, do not pursue / utilize your health insurance plan and you will be alright as long as you are not spending significant period of time in any Taxable year inside Canada. Good luck.
Dear May2010applicant,

I did end up with a tax consultant in the end, who gave me a lot of insight into this matter. We need to file tax returns not only for the year we became a resident, but also 2 years previous to that. This is used by Canadian tax authorities to classify which income group (e.g. high income or low income group) we belong to from day of landing.

Another misconception people have is that once you get your credit card your credit history starts building. However credit history only begins once you file your first tax return. As a new immigrant you can file your tax return immediately and don't have to wait for the tax year to end.

I think the other misconception that is more relevant here is that, world income does not necessitate that you must pay taxes in Canada. You need to self declare any income you have earned outside of Canada. As income here is considered what you get after cutting all your expenses, therefore we don't just declare our salary as world earnings (something people like me who had lived in the middle east would have done). We need to deduct our expenses from the gross salary before filing the tax return. The actual amount paid to Canadian authorities (if any) comes out to be very nominal.

You can hire a tax consultant to do all your tax filing for you (would cost around $50 for each filing) each year you are outside Canada and he will declare the optimal amount based on his calculations.

Hope this help.

Regards,

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Thanks rizmayo for your useful input to the discussion. Since I am not an expert on Canadian Taxation System, and you have done the right thing by obtaining the advice of a tax consultant then probably there is no point in doing further deliberation :) Good luck and do keep us posted of any further updates in this regard.

rizmayo said:
Dear May2010applicant,

I did end up with a tax consultant in the end, who gave me a lot of insight into this matter. We need to file tax returns not only for the year we became a resident, but also 2 years previous to that. This is used by Canadian tax authorities to classify which income group (e.g. high income or low income group) we belong to from day of landing.

Another misconception people have is that once you get your credit card your credit history starts building. However credit history only begins once you file your first tax return. As a new immigrant you can file your tax return immediately and don't have to wait for the tax year to end.

I think the other misconception that is more relevant here is that, world income does not necessitate that you must pay taxes in Canada. You need to self declare any income you have earned outside of Canada. As income here is considered what you get after cutting all your expenses, therefore we don't just declare our salary as world earnings (something people like me who had lived in the middle east would have done). We need to deduct our expenses from the gross salary before filing the tax return. The actual amount paid to Canadian authorities (if any) comes out to be very nominal.

You can hire a tax consultant to do all your tax filing for you (would cost around $50 for each filing) each year you are outside Canada and he will declare the optimal amount based on his calculations.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28.11.2013 by the grace of Allah SWT
rizmayo said:
Dear May2010applicant,

Hope this help.

Regards,
thanks dear, for the middle eastern guys who dont intend to move rightaway, pls share some useful tips about how they can best manage their finances and file tax returns. What if someone fails to file his tax return in time, is it considered a big crime there, what sort of plenty / fine one can face, can it impact one's residency status in any way !

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Desi-girl said:
I hope our prayers are answered. Delhi visa office asks for passport early. They have now had it since September.
good to know, must say NDVO is superfast :)

haroon512

Star Member
Sep 18, 2010
Islamabad
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th October, 2009
Doc's Request.
4th January, 2010
AOR Received.
18th August, 2010
IELTS Request
5th May, 2010
File Transfer...
January, 2010
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-12-2013
Interview........
hopefully waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 on 08/01/2014 and 22/01/2014
VISA ISSUED...
29/01/2014
LANDED..........
inshALLAH at the end of Feb, 2014
Hi Hasni,

Hope you will be fine. I am intending to move to alberta next month. I need a few information from you regarding Engineering degree evaluation from WES. How important it is to evaluate degree before departure (specially If one is looking for job and short courses rather than full time study). Secondly can it be evaluated once I am inside Canada? Lastly Is there any organization in Alberta who can offer assistance in credential evaluation in Alberta. I will be highly obliged for your help. Thanks

Kind Regards

msaeed

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Lahore Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2009
VISA ISSUED...
الحمد لله رب العالمين - 27-06-2014
LANDED..........
الحمد لله رب العالمين March 28, 2015.
Hasni said:
My timeline - I am a May'11 applicant, was sent MR in Oct' 12 by postal mail which unfortunately got lost, got an email from LVO in March'13 stating that MR was sent and I never responded, I replied saying that I never got the post and request that a fresh MR be sent. VO was kind in considering my request and sent an updated forms request immediately. Got MR in July'13, PRR in Oct'13, sent PPs and got visa stamped on Oct 23' 2013 precisely. Landed at Pearsons International on Nov 28'2013 for a short stay.
Must say this forum had been a source of great help and fellows like pittabread, devilhimself, badar14, itsbeenlong, kbQureshi, nashe31, awai ali, coolguy,Matties, PMM, Wilson, aspire, Mr Engineer and many others whom i could not name here, have always been there to help me out during various stages of the process, i am grateful to all of them and have lot of duas for all they have done for me.
Travelling - Travelled both ways through British airways and air canada with one stop over at Heathrow. Both the airlines are good and and punctual, but very particular about the baggage rules, baggage that needs to be checked in and the one to be hand carried should strictly be as per their specs. Secondly, I doubt if air canada flight from Heathrow to Toronto will serve you halal foods. However British airways flight from riyadh to Heathrow and vies versa will be serving halal food. There is another issue while coming back from Toronto through this route for which I will recommend either to take a non stop flight or choose airlines which don't have stopover in any of the western countries. I will explain at the end why .
Landing at Persons International - Landing was smooth and took me around two hours to pass through all the formalities. PR cards and SIN cards were done at the airport. At SIN cards counter, we were asked too many questions, like mothers name, grandmothers name, date of births of my sons,...so better be little prepared in advance. Then headed for baggage collection, inserted a five dollar bill and got three dollars back, which released the trolley. No body dare even look at the goods to follow and accompanying goods lists that I had prepared with lots of effort, only the gold pics and funds declaration forms were stamped and copies kept.
Staying at short term rental - I had booked a furnished suite in Mississauga at CAD 110 per day, and my friend who had come to pick me up took us there, around thirty minutes drive from airport. Flat was very close to square one (a big shopping centre from where you can get everything ). Next day I took a car on rent, CAD 40 per day and and it helped me not only in roaming around with my family but also improving my driving skills in line with Canadian rules.
Driving license - Appeared in G1 written test and had to re do the rules part, gave CAD 15 and succeeded this time by securing 18/20. Secured 19/20 in the signs part. We need to secure 16/20 in each part in order to get G1. I had taken my Saudi driving license record and got it translated from an office in Mississauga, probably the only office whose translation is accepted. They kept the original at the time of G1, saying that after passing the G1, I can directly book for G road test. Though I had full plans to go for G road test, but couldn't get dates that match my plan, so had to drop it.
Roaming around - Besides got good time to explore Ontario cuz I had gone for two weeks. Been to Toronto couple of times, visited CN tower, Toronto square, Eaton Centre and lot more. Also visited Niagara falls, a true wonder indeed. Went to Brampton and Richmondhill to see my friends.
Bank Account - opened joint account in TD, took us hardly 30 minutes to complete the process. It is a check in account in which I am supposed to maintain minimum CAD3500 at all times. CAD 2 will be charged for the paper bank statement that shall be mailed to me and I will have to intimate to the bank if I don't require any paper bank statements in future. Online statements are free of charge. They have also given me option to maintain a US dollar account besides Canadian Dollar account.
Health card - Tried twice for OHIP at two different Service Ontario Centres with bank cheque book that was mailed to me, but they insisted on bank statement. Just in order to understand the difference between a bank statement and cheque book with regards to proof of residency, went into little argument at one counter, lady was convinced with my point but could finally say that since we have to dispatch these docs to the head office, so they have to be only one of those listed in the required documents lists, and there it only says that a bank statement mailed to our address and no cheque books and SIN cards. Wish either they change the rules and include bank cheque books atleast if not SIN cards ( cuz SIN cards only bear our names and not address on the cards) or give a better reasoning why a bank book mailed to our address can't be accepted as a proof of residency while a bank statement can be !
Job hunt - What I have learnt about the jobs is that in order to start job in your profession, which is engineering in my case, I must get my resume trimmed to the Canadian standards from some good office who do this job, they also train you for the interview and provide complete help in finding a job of your profession. It may cost around CAD500 but as per my friend, it's worth. He told while sharing his job hunt experience, that he kept floating cvs for one year without any positive result, but when got engaged with one of such offices, got job in two months. Another important thing while looking for a job of your profession is that " be flexible to work anywhere in Canada" and reflect it clearly at the bottom of your CV. It helps in getting you job far quicker. Otherwise getting survival jobs is not a big deal, you can easily earn between CAD1500 to CAD 1800 per month through such jobs. Jobs at Walmart, gas stations, Tim Horton and other big stores can be found without much effort. Security jobs may take some time as you need to get some certification for that. Driving blue cabs can also get you good money as it is considered bit relaxed compared to working on cash counters at stores or gas stations.
Long term rentals - For living, walk in basements are quite reasonable and cheaper, one can get it between CAD 800 to CAD 850 in Brampton and Mississauga, no idea about downtown Toronto.
Schools - schools within communities are not considered so good as compared to ones which are located in neighbourhoods with well mixed nationalities. My kids were so happy to know that there are no exams upto class 8.
Now coming to a little embarrassment that I had to face while returning at air canada counter,.... I was asked at the air canada boarding counter (cuz my flight was Toronto-Hearhrow-Riyadh, if I was a resident of Canada. When I said yes, she asked me to show the PR cards. I told her that PR cards are under process now and because of an emergency i have to travel without collecting PR cards, and that i shall be back within couple of weeks. She said that she is not interested in listening all this but just wants to see PR cards so that she could place me as a Canadian resident otherwise she will put me as a Pakistani resident based on the passport I am holding. I didn't argue much and asked her to proceed as she wishes. Just want to know how critical is her asking for the PR cards and putting me as a Pakistani resident afterwards. I am supposed to get my PR cards soon through courier inshAllah. Can i be questioned at immigration next time i travel, that how did i get these cards ! i know a lot of people do it this way, but have not heard about anyone being asked while returning to show the PR cards. I have also seen seniors saying that it is not illegal to get PR cards this way as it is no where mentioned on CIC web site. I also discussed the matter with air canada steward who said that it is just a formality, air canada wants to make sure that people dont travel on incomplete or fake docs to Heathrow otherwise their bills get stuck. I would request the seniors or guys who have experienced such a scenario to please clarify and suggest whether for me getting PR cards through courier and travelling back to Canada would be ok or I may face issues with immigration while travelling on PR cards next time.
Sir

Good Sharing of experience
Jazak Allah Khair

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
haroon512 said:
Hi Hasni,

Hope you will be fine. I am intending to move to alberta next month. I need a few information from you regarding Engineering degree evaluation from WES. How important it is to evaluate degree before departure (specially If one is looking for job and short courses rather than full time study). Secondly can it be evaluated once I am inside Canada? Lastly Is there any organization in Alberta who can offer assistance in credential evaluation in Alberta. I will be highly obliged for your help. Thanks

Kind Regards
Dear Haroon,
First of all many congrats on your moving to Canada soon, wish you have a wonderful life ahead and May Allah SWT help you in achieving your intended goals. Coming to your question, please note that it is essential for an engineer to have P.Eng license to be able to practice his profession in Canada, though NOT must. Many employers don't stress much upon your P.Eng license and hire you on the basis of your experience if it is relevant to the job advertised. I have quite a few of my friends in Canada who got job even without having P.Eng and they don't even feel like having it anymore. So it all depends on one's choice and circumstances, if you have enough time and some mony to spend, you should always go for it. Yes you can get your credentials verified while being there. All you need is to carry certified copies of your transcripts with you and that's all. See the link for P.Eng license
http://www.apega.ca/Applicants/Examinations/tocpeexam.html
Hope it helps, cheers

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks Saeed Bhai, remember in your prayers :)

haroon512

Star Member
Sep 18, 2010
Islamabad
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th October, 2009
Doc's Request.
4th January, 2010
AOR Received.
18th August, 2010
IELTS Request
5th May, 2010
File Transfer...
January, 2010
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-12-2013
Interview........
hopefully waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 on 08/01/2014 and 22/01/2014
VISA ISSUED...
29/01/2014
LANDED..........
inshALLAH at the end of Feb, 2014
Thanks for your well elaborated answer. Jazzakallah

Hasni said:
Dear Haroon,
First of all many congrats on your moving to Canada soon, wish you have a wonderful life ahead and May Allah SWT help you in achieving your intended goals. Coming to your question, please note that it is essential for an engineer to have P.Eng license to be able to practice his profession in Canada, though NOT must. Many employers don't stress much upon your P.Eng license and hire you on the basis of your experience if it is relevant to the job advertised. I have quite a few of my friends in Canada who got job even without having P.Eng and they don't even feel like having it anymore. So it all depends on one's choice and circumstances, if you have enough time and some mony to spend, you should always go for it. Yes you can get your credentials verified while being there. All you need is to carry certified copies of your transcripts with you and that's all. See the link for P.Eng license
http://www.apega.ca/Applicants/Examinations/tocpeexam.html
Hope it helps, cheers

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
haroon512 said:
Hi Hasni,

Kind Regards
No need to do educational credential assessment from WES or IQAS if appyling for P.Eng License for Alberta

Here's what APEGA require

We will require official transcripts or confirmation to come directly from your academic institution in a sealed and clearly marked envelope with a university logo or stamp on it. If your institution sends us official confirmation, we can then accept the copies of the transcripts that you have. In addition, if you have transcripts in a sealed and marked envelope from the university and it has never been opened, we can accept that from you. We are not able to accept transcripts from qualification assessment services such as IQAS or WES.

http://www.applyatapega.ca/pm-application.html

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
At last I got my PR cards, Alhamdullillah :)
Thanks to all those who helped and prayed for me at this stage, specially Leon, rizmayo, steaky, Msafiri and PMM. God bless you all. Got a question here...I landed on Nov 28th' 2013 but my PR card shows expiry on April 8th 2019, shouldn't it be Nov 28th 2018 !

Lesson learnt - Avoid giving address of the house which is being used by more than one tenants.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
Hasni said:
At last I got my PR cards, Alhamdullillah :)
Thanks to all those who helped and prayed for me at this stage, specially Leon, rizmayo, steaky, Msafiri and PMM. God bless you all. Got a question here...I landed on Nov 28th' 2013 but my PR card shows expiry on April 8th 2019, shouldn't it be Nov 28th 2018 !

Lesson learnt - Avoid giving address of the house which is being used by more than one tenants.
So you finally figured out why your cards got lost :)

Are you back in Canada?

Regards,

addobia

Jul 10, 2014
Salams,

Can some senior member advice please.

I reside in Riyadh and have sent my Passport to Riyadh VFS on 5th August 2014. My questions are:

Will my visa be stamped at Canadian Embassy Riyadh?
How long will it take?
My wife's medicals were done on 29 Oct 13 and mine on 3 Feb 14. What will be the expiry of my PR visa?

Best Regards

..Addi..

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
rizmayo said:
So you finally figured out why your cards got lost :)

Are you back in Canada?

Regards,
no I couldn't, moment I started getting the new ones, old ones also followed. Thus I had duplicates until recently, however I destroyed the old ones after being instructed by CIC to do so. Yes I came here on aug 12 th. I am in Mississauga.