Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
@ Hasni. I appreciate your concerns but there is no need to engage a lawyer / accountant at this stage. It is highly unlikely that someone will be brought into the net of taxation on the basis of having a license or a credit card alone. These are secondary factors and are usually used by CRA in conjunction with other factors / reasons to declare you as a deemed resident.
Not required, but if you want to be extra careful about the matter then my advice to you is not to use your credit card to build your credit history, do not pursue / utilize your health insurance plan and you will be alright as long as you are not spending significant period of time in any Taxable year inside Canada. Good luck.

Hasni said:
must say you have brought forward a very important subject, barely discussed here. Highly technical stuff, will have to engage an expert or a lawyer to understand :(

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28.11.2013 by the grace of Allah SWT
May2010applicant said:
@ Hasni. I appreciate your concerns but there is no need to engage a lawyer / accountant at this stage. It is highly unlikely that someone will be brought into the net of taxation on the basis of having a license or a credit card alone. These are secondary factors and are usually used by CRA in conjunction with other factors / reasons to declare you as a deemed resident.
Not required, but if you want to be extra careful about the matter then my advice to you is not to use your credit card to build your credit history, do not pursue / utilize your health insurance plan and you will be alright as long as you are not spending significant period of time in any Taxable year inside Canada. Good luck.
thanks for info. I intend to remit certain amount from Saudi to my account in Canada on regular basis. I have already deposited the cash and DD that I carried at the time of landing in my Canadian account. So the is going to be a gradual credit build up in future. Am I right in assuming that all this money shall be tax exempt!

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
As long as you are not a resident in Canada then the money will be tax exempt. Be vary of investing in interest and non-interest bearing securities as any income earned inside Canada will still be taxable.

However, the scenario would be different if you are sending the money to support a spouse or dependents in Canada, which are staying there to complete the residency requirement for citizenship as it will establish a significant residential tie to Canada (although people from UAE and KSA do it all the time and rarely get reported).

Hasni said:
thanks for info. I intend to remit certain amount from Saudi to my account in Canada on regular basis. I have already deposited the cash and DD that I carried at the time of landing in my Canadian account. So the is going to be a gradual credit build up in future. Am I right in assuming that all this money shall be tax exempt!

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
May2010applicant said:
As long as you are not a resident in Canada then the money will be tax exempt. Be vary of investing in interest and non-interest bearing securities as any income earned inside Canada will still be taxable.

However, the scenario would be different if you are sending the money to support a spouse or dependents in Canada, which are staying there to complete the residency requirement for citizenship as it will establish a significant residential tie to Canada (although people from UAE and KSA do it all the time and rarely get reported).
thanks dear, quite clear now. Got another scenario where I live in Canada for more than six months in a year, don't earn a penny, instead spend from what was carried from Saudi and lying in my Canadian account, will I be asked to pay any tax here !

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Hasni said:
must say you have brought forward a very important subject, barely discussed here. Highly technical stuff, will have to engage an expert or a lawyer to understand :(
Don't worry about "country of residence" issue with airlines. It's just a formality.
Airline just needs to put in the computer to satisfy CBSA travel requirements.

PR Cards can be courier-ed to you via courier and then you can travel back on those. No issue.

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
canvis2006 said:
Don't worry about "country of residence" issue with airlines. It's just a formality.
Airline just needs to put in the computer to satisfy CBSA travel requirements.

PR Cards can be courier-ed to you via courier and then you can travel back on those. No issue.
Thanks canvis2006, feeling much relieved now :)

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Being considered a resident of Canada for taxation purposes does not mean that you will / must have a tax obligation. Every year you will determine your tax obligations by completing an income tax return. Obviously no income means no taxation, however, foreign income may or may not be subject to Canadian income Tax. So if you continue to receive your pay check from Middle East employers while you are considered a resident of Canada (actual or implied), it is highly likely that your foreign income will be taxable.

On the contrary what you earned before becoming a Canadian resident is not subject to Taxation. So if you make a move with your savings in hand or in a bank account, it will not be subject to income tax.

However, I cannot give you a conclusive answer since I do not have the exact details of your hypothetical scenario. And even if I had all the information it would be of limited use since I am not an expert of Canadian Taxation so, if required, it is better if you consider consulting someone knowledgeable in this regard. There are plenty of professionals in Canada who undertake such work for minimal fee (for personal returns). So good luck and as a starting point you can go through the following link;

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/nwcmr-eng.html

Also this guide is useful, so go through it as well “T4058 Non-Residents and Income Tax”
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4058/README.html

Hasni said:
thanks dear, quite clear now. Got another scenario where I live in Canada for more than six months in a year, don't earn a penny, instead spend from what was carried from Saudi and lying in my Canadian account, will I be asked to pay any tax here !

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
May2010applicant said:
Being considered a resident of Canada for taxation purposes does not mean that you will / must have a tax obligation. Every year you will determine your tax obligations by completing an income tax return. Obviously no income means no taxation, however, foreign income may or may not be subject to Canadian income Tax. So if you continue to receive your pay check from Middle East employers while you are considered a resident of Canada (actual or implied), it is highly likely that your foreign income will be taxable.

On the contrary what you earned before becoming a Canadian resident is not subject to Taxation. So if you make a move with your savings in hand or in a bank account, it will not be subject to income tax.

However, I cannot give you a conclusive answer since I do not have the exact details of your hypothetical scenario. And even if I had all the information it would be of limited use since I am not an expert of Canadian Taxation so, if required, it is better if you consider consulting someone knowledgeable in this regard. There are plenty of professionals in Canada who undertake such work for minimal fee (for personal returns). So good luck and as a starting point you can go through the following link;

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/nwcmr-eng.html

Also this guide is useful, so go through it as well “T4058 Non-Residents and Income Tax”
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4058/README.html
thanks dear, appreciate your help.

mohit_sharma123

Nov 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21 oct 2009
Doc's Request.
15 dec 2009
File Transfer...
1 march 2010
Med's Request
25 march 2010
Med's Done....
16 april 2010
Passport Req..
25 march 2010
VISA ISSUED...
24/05/2010
u all are living in a fake thought
ones cum then u will see how tough it is to survive i have spent over 100s thousand now i am okey in this counrty i was the one who got my g license in 3 months stayed in basement for 2 years in brampton now i have a house before my daughter use to go to public school now she goes to montessori school in york region but it was tough to get here.... but my daughter will enjoy her life with brilliant life a head now i can say i love to be in canada i cleared all my exams and now i am gud here and next year will open my clinic ...
but guys u have to be very strong if u r cumming
good luck if any one need a right advice msg me guys
mohit

justafun

May 16, 2013
Hasni said:
My timeline - I am a May'11 applicant, was sent MR in Oct' 12 by postal mail which unfortunately got lost, got an email from LVO in March'13 stating that MR was sent and I never responded, I replied saying that I never got the post and request that a fresh MR be sent. VO was kind in considering my request and sent an updated forms request immediately. Got MR in July'13, PRR in Oct'13, sent PPs and got visa stamped on Oct 23' 2013 precisely. Landed at Pearsons International on Nov 28'2013 for a short stay.
Must say this forum had been a source of great help and fellows like pittabread, devilhimself, badar14, itsbeenlong, kbQureshi, nashe31, awai ali, coolguy,Matties, PMM, Wilson, aspire, Mr Engineer and many others whom i could not name here, have always been there to help me out during various stages of the process, i am grateful to all of them and have lot of duas for all they have done for me.
Travelling - Travelled both ways through British airways and air canada with one stop over at Heathrow. Both the airlines are good and and punctual, but very particular about the baggage rules, baggage that needs to be checked in and the one to be hand carried should strictly be as per their specs. Secondly, I doubt if air canada flight from Heathrow to Toronto will serve you halal foods. However British airways flight from riyadh to Heathrow and vies versa will be serving halal food. There is another issue while coming back from Toronto through this route for which I will recommend either to take a non stop flight or choose airlines which don't have stopover in any of the western countries. I will explain at the end why .
Landing at Persons International - Landing was smooth and took me around two hours to pass through all the formalities. PR cards and SIN cards were done at the airport. At SIN cards counter, we were asked too many questions, like mothers name, grandmothers name, date of births of my sons,...so better be little prepared in advance. Then headed for baggage collection, inserted a five dollar bill and got three dollars back, which released the trolley. No body dare even look at the goods to follow and accompanying goods lists that I had prepared with lots of effort, only the gold pics and funds declaration forms were stamped and copies kept.
Staying at short term rental - I had booked a furnished suite in Mississauga at CAD 110 per day, and my friend who had come to pick me up took us there, around thirty minutes drive from airport. Flat was very close to square one (a big shopping centre from where you can get everything ). Next day I took a car on rent, CAD 40 per day and and it helped me not only in roaming around with my family but also improving my driving skills in line with Canadian rules.
Driving license - Appeared in G1 written test and had to re do the rules part, gave CAD 15 and succeeded this time by securing 18/20. Secured 19/20 in the signs part. We need to secure 16/20 in each part in order to get G1. I had taken my Saudi driving license record and got it translated from an office in Mississauga, probably the only office whose translation is accepted. They kept the original at the time of G1, saying that after passing the G1, I can directly book for G road test. Though I had full plans to go for G road test, but couldn't get dates that match my plan, so had to drop it.
Roaming around - Besides got good time to explore Ontario cuz I had gone for two weeks. Been to Toronto couple of times, visited CN tower, Toronto square, Eaton Centre and lot more. Also visited Niagara falls, a true wonder indeed. Went to Brampton and Richmondhill to see my friends.
Bank Account - opened joint account in TD, took us hardly 30 minutes to complete the process. It is a check in account in which I am supposed to maintain minimum CAD3500 at all times. CAD 2 will be charged for the paper bank statement that shall be mailed to me and I will have to intimate to the bank if I don't require any paper bank statements in future. Online statements are free of charge. They have also given me option to maintain a US dollar account besides Canadian Dollar account.
Health card - Tried twice for OHIP at two different Service Ontario Centres with bank cheque book that was mailed to me, but they insisted on bank statement. Just in order to understand the difference between a bank statement and cheque book with regards to proof of residency, went into little argument at one counter, lady was convinced with my point but could finally say that since we have to dispatch these docs to the head office, so they have to be only one of those listed in the required documents lists, and there it only says that a bank statement mailed to our address and no cheque books and SIN cards. Wish either they change the rules and include bank cheque books atleast if not SIN cards ( cuz SIN cards only bear our names and not address on the cards) or give a better reasoning why a bank book mailed to our address can't be accepted as a proof of residency while a bank statement can be !
Job hunt - What I have learnt about the jobs is that in order to start job in your profession, which is engineering in my case, I must get my resume trimmed to the Canadian standards from some good office who do this job, they also train you for the interview and provide complete help in finding a job of your profession. It may cost around CAD500 but as per my friend, it's worth. He told while sharing his job hunt experience, that he kept floating cvs for one year without any positive result, but when got engaged with one of such offices, got job in two months. Another important thing while looking for a job of your profession is that " be flexible to work anywhere in Canada" and reflect it clearly at the bottom of your CV. It helps in getting you job far quicker. Otherwise getting survival jobs is not a big deal, you can easily earn between CAD1500 to CAD 1800 per month through such jobs. Jobs at Walmart, gas stations, Tim Horton and other big stores can be found without much effort. Security jobs may take some time as you need to get some certification for that. Driving blue cabs can also get you good money as it is considered bit relaxed compared to working on cash counters at stores or gas stations.
Long term rentals - For living, walk in basements are quite reasonable and cheaper, one can get it between CAD 800 to CAD 850 in Brampton and Mississauga, no idea about downtown Toronto.
Schools - schools within communities are not considered so good as compared to ones which are located in neighbourhoods with well mixed nationalities. My kids were so happy to know that there are no exams upto class 8.
Now coming to a little embarrassment that I had to face while returning at air canada counter,.... I was asked at the air canada boarding counter (cuz my flight was Toronto-Hearhrow-Riyadh, if I was a resident of Canada. When I said yes, she asked me to show the PR cards. I told her that PR cards are under process now and because of an emergency i have to travel without collecting PR cards, and that i shall be back within couple of weeks. She said that she is not interested in listening all this but just wants to see PR cards so that she could place me as a Canadian resident otherwise she will put me as a Pakistani resident based on the passport I am holding. I didn't argue much and asked her to proceed as she wishes. Just want to know how critical is her asking for the PR cards and putting me as a Pakistani resident afterwards. I am supposed to get my PR cards soon through courier inshAllah. Can i be questioned at immigration next time i travel, that how did i get these cards ! i know a lot of people do it this way, but have not heard about anyone being asked while returning to show the PR cards. I have also seen seniors saying that it is not illegal to get PR cards this way as it is no where mentioned on CIC web site. I also discussed the matter with air canada steward who said that it is just a formality, air canada wants to make sure that people dont travel on incomplete or fake docs to Heathrow otherwise their bills get stuck. I would request the seniors or guys who have experienced such a scenario to please clarify and suggest whether for me getting PR cards through courier and travelling back to Canada would be ok or I may face issues with immigration while travelling on PR cards next time.
Hi Hasni, very informative post. Did you get your PR cards ! Any ideal what they enter for the short stayers whom they don't ask to show PR car while returning ?

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Hasni said:
…………Next day I took a car on rent, CAD 40 per day and and it helped me not only in roaming around with my family but also improving my driving skills in line with Canadian rules………..
Dear Hasni,

Can you please share some more details about your experience for Car rental like, which company / agency you used, how was the experience, did they accept your license from Saudi Arabia etc… thanks

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
May2010applicant said:
Dear Hasni,

Can you please share some more details about your experience for Car rental like, which company / agency you used, how was the experience, did they accept your license from Saudi Arabia etc... thanks
I had carried my international driving license from Saudi, and it is acceptable to all rental car companies. I took car from All Time Rental company in Missiassauga. It is run by a Pakistani, Mr. Waqqar...a nice cooperative guy. Experience was wonderful as I drove quite freely from one corner of Ontario to another. Must say driving in Toronto downtown was quite a task, specially for a new person. Had to face little honking there..haha. Filling the gas at self served gasstation was also a fun, leave the car on pump, pay the money, get a cup of French vanilla coffee from Tim Horton for just 2.5 bucks and move on. Honestly speaking...missing canada a lot :)
@ justafun, thanks dear, PR cards ...not yet. Good question indeed, can't say for sure, would leave it for seniors to comment.

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Thanks Hasni for your feedback. It seems you truly enjoyed your stay :)

Do you have any contact details of All Time Rental company (Mr. Waqqar) and which car did you get for CAD 40? Does it include (comprehensive) insurance also? GPS / Navigation device? I am interested in an SUV or all-wheel drive, Since I will be landing during February….. possible heavy snow :-\ …. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hasni said:
I had carried my international driving license from Saudi, and it is acceptable to all rental car companies. I took car from All Time Rental company in Missiassauga. It is run by a Pakistani, Mr. Waqqar...a nice cooperative guy. Experience was wonderful as I drove quite freely from one corner of Ontario to another. Must say driving in Toronto downtown was quite a task, specially for a new person. Had to face little honking there..haha. Filling the gas at self served gasstation was also a fun, leave the car on pump, pay the money, get a cup of French vanilla coffee from Tim Horton for just 2.5 bucks and move on. Honestly speaking...missing canada a lot :)
@ justafun, thanks dear, PR cards ...not yet. Good question indeed, can't say for sure, would leave it for seniors to comment.

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
May2010applicant said:
Thanks Hasni for your feedback. It seems you truly enjoyed your stay :)

Do you have any contact details of All Time Rental company (Mr. Waqqar) and which car did you get for CAD 40? Does it include (comprehensive) insurance also? GPS / Navigation device? I am interested in an SUV or all-wheel drive, Since I will be landing during February..... possible heavy snow :-\ .... Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Daer May2010 applicant,
It was Mazda 5 minivan, six seater, ...quite good for my size of family. He didn't charge me for the navigator (TomTom) which is usually charged @ CAD 10 per day. Well insurance part was bit ambiguous. He offered me various packages out of which I chose a CAd 10 per day, in which I will have to pay first CAD 1000 of the damage (if damage exceeds CAD 1000) and rest will be paid by the company :( This money is inclusive in the rent I mentioned earlier. Here is the address
All time car rental
833 Westlock Rd Unit 2
Mississauga, Ontario
L5C 1K7
Ph. 905 275 7274

abidpk

Star Member
Jan 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
oct 2009
Doc's Request.
apr 2010
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Inshaallah
Med's Done....
Inshaallah
Passport Req..
Inshaallah
VISA ISSUED...
Inshaallah
LANDED..........
Inshaallah
Hello members,
Assalam-U-Alaikum.
P.s ; I'm sorry to join after a really long time, amongst you all. Hope you're doing well.

I was just eager that anyone would guide me what's coming up next for me, as I have provided them with the required documents to the LVO, as they asked for ; (25 november 2012)
1) Lending Money : 890 cad
2) pictures of family
3) police certificate

Now after almost an year of desperate wait, I got again a requirement of documents which included ;
1) original my and spouses' education, marriage certificates
2) new schedule a form of all applicants
3) and a new principal applicant form
4) Canadian relatives' documents.
5) settlement funds (property value certificate)
Please guide me, if any member have gone through this respective step, I would be really grateful for the information or guidance.

Thanks.

Regards,
Abid