+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
There is no other country in the world that will give people citizenship so easy, only after 3 years, so I don't understand why people would leave and not stick around to get it. What can you do with a PR card, and won't this expire at some point? Maybe people leave because they can't make it. The life is expensive and the funds they come with finish fast, or they just realize that they had better life before, or they are really unhappy.
Many things can change over time.
The Canadian dream life of Rocky Mountains, Niagara Falls, health care, and social assistance does not work for everyone. Maybe if they made it easier
to acquire a visitor visa then some could see what it's really like before applying for a PR card.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
There is no other country in the world that will give people citizenship so easy, only after 3 years, so I don't understand why people would leave and not stick around to get it. What can you do with a PR card, and won't this expire at some point? Maybe people leave because they can't make it. The life is expensive and the funds they come with finish fast, or they just realize that they had better life before, or they are really unhappy.
Many countries do not accept dual citizenship which means that getting Canadian citizenship would result in them losing their birth citizenship. For some it is well worth it and they are happy to go ahead, for some it is absolutely unacceptable for various reasons, some of which are probably reinforced right now with Covid restrictions. Not sure I would have ever gotten my Canadian citizenship if I had to give up my French one for example, at the very least it would have been a very difficult decision that I am glad I never had to make.

KingKcaj

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
I do agree with this point, for some it makes sense to give up their birth citizenship and some not so much. I think my wife will never become a Canadian citizen because she will need to forgo her original one.
Many Korean people stay as PR forever because of this reason, you get to use both countries benefits this way, because it really not much different between a PR and an actual citizen in Canada.

planningtogo

Aug 1, 2011
Bacolod, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi.

Sorry. I may not be in the right thread but just need any info I could get.

My parents were granted PR in 2017. However, my dad was only able to stay in Canada for 3 mos then went home. My mom's cumulative number of days of stay is 1 year and 6 mos. Both are back home now. They were supposed to come back last year but covid hit. We're now planning to have them fly back to Canada sometime this year or early 2022 but our concern is their PR cards are only valid til August 2022.

If they try coming back, would there be an issue or will they be allowed entry? I was told by IRCC agent that it depends on the CBSA if they'll be allowed since they still have a valid PR card. Has anyone been in this situation before and how did it go? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi.

Sorry. I may not be in the right thread but just need any info I could get.

My parents were granted PR in 2017. However, my dad was only able to stay in Canada for 3 mos then went home. My mom's cumulative number of days of stay is 1 year and 6 mos. Both are back home now. They were supposed to come back last year but covid hit. We're now planning to have them fly back to Canada sometime this year or early 2022 but our concern is their PR cards are only valid til August 2022.

If they try coming back, would there be an issue or will they be allowed entry? I was told by IRCC agent that it depends on the CBSA if they'll be allowed since they still have a valid PR card. Has anyone been in this situation before and how did it go? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!
Yes. you are at the wrong section. You will find lots of discussion about "risk" of entering with short on RO. It's basically up to the CBSA to report them or not. There is no new rule regarding to COVID. But again, it's up to CBSA to take that into consideration. But your dad is very short of days spent in Canada and is of higher risk of being reported.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/permanent-residency-obligations.11/