+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada

growtron

Aug 9, 2021
I am a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada for over 20 years, but now I'd like to return to Canada for good. But at that time when I left Canada, I have not declared myself as an non-resident. Is there any problem if I return to Canada? Thanks!

cristib

Aug 3, 2021
You know that as long as you have Canadian passport you can come and go as you please. So, what are you really asking? What kind of problems?
-sponsorship the spouse?
-taxes ?
-debts ?
I left Canada 19 years ago, I though I hold the record, I was wrong.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I left Canada 19 years ago, I though I hold the record, I was wrong.
You definitely don't hold the record.

But otherwise correct - unless there's a specific reason to be concerned, no way to answer.

Mostly the resident/non-resident question is not an issue except for those who maintain strong residential/work/income/asset ties to Canada while residing abroad. This is a massive over-simplification of course. But someone who truly 'leaves' and has no other ongoing ties apart from visits should not have significant complications.

And perhaps useful to keep 'returning' (arriving) separate. If the issues are of a non-criminal nature, for citizens, they're mostly going to be admitted at the border and then they work it out like any other citizen.

cristib

Aug 3, 2021
Did you sponsor your spose after 30 years from outland and had no problem? Did you have solid proof of intent to return? This worries me.

cjr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2020
Did you sponsor your spose after 30 years from outland and had no problem? Did you have solid proof of intent to return?
Yes to all of the above - including an estimate for the move, a signed lease, the receipt for the rental deposit, a letter of intent from my employer, etc.

All IRCC cares about is whether you can legitimately sponsor (Canadian citizen: check!), and that you are planning to return if you're Outland (Intent to Return: check!).

They don't care how long you were gone, or why you were gone.

cjr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2020
They don't care how long you were gone, or why you were gone.
I should add that my wife had a Study Permit approval in hand when we crossed US to Canada, which certainly made things easier. We applied for that in parallel when she was accepted at Capilano University, shortly after applying for PR. Just in case PR doesn't come through in time.

It was an additional item in the Intent to Return column, and made registering two containers of Goods to Follow a breeze. We were totally up front with the border agents regarding the PR application being in process concurrently, and CBSA could not have been nicer.

Last edited:

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
I should add that my wife had a Study Permit approval in hand when we crossed US to Canada, which certainly made things easier. We applied for that in parallel when she was accepted at Capilano University, shortly after applying for PR. Just in case PR doesn't come through in time.

It was an additional item in the Intent to Return column, and made registering two containers of Goods to Follow a breeze. We were totally up front with the border agents regarding the PR application being in process concurrently, and CBSA could not have been nicer.
You just got lucky with CBSA now that they have reached an agreement with the federal government.

We have had good and bad experiences with them and you never really know what to expect with these " cowboys. " They don't have a good track record through YVR!

cristib

Aug 3, 2021
It's much easier to move from US than from Europe. For me, to rent an apartment to sit empty until we arrive, God knows how long, at least one year, is not really an option. We will not bring anything, except what we can put in suitcases. I can't quit my job, I make good money and I can save so I can use it at beginning. I start applying for jobs in Canada, but no response whatsoever. Realistically, who would give a job to someone in Europe when there are plenty of people unemployed and underemployed in Canada? If I was in US I could fly easy for an interview, but from Europe, it's 10 hours flight. Visiting Canada would probably increase my chances, but I can't leave my family because is dependable on me. If something happens to them, there is nobody can help.
I read some post in horror where people who have property in Canada, some have family, some have job offer letters from previous employer or family, have been ask to come up with more proof of intent, and I got nothing. So all I can do is to try to add as much as soft evidence, maybe, maybe, they will accept it.

Reactions: el_0211

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
It's much easier to move from US than from Europe. For me, to rent an apartment to sit empty until we arrive, God knows how long, at least one year, is not really an option. We will not bring anything, except what we can put in suitcases. I can't quit my job, I make good money and I can save so I can use it at beginning. I start applying for jobs in Canada, but no response whatsoever. Realistically, who would give a job to someone in Europe when there are plenty of people unemployed and underemployed in Canada? If I was in US I could fly easy for an interview, but from Europe, it's 10 hours flight. Visiting Canada would probably increase my chances, but I can't leave my family because is dependable on me. If something happens to them, there is nobody can help.
I read some post in horror where people who have property in Canada, some have family, some have job offer letters from previous employer or family, have been ask to come up with more proof of intent, and I got nothing. So all I can do is to try to add as much as soft evidence, maybe, maybe, they will accept it.
I'm in a similar situation. I received AOR1 after 11 months and have now waited for three weeks to receive SA. I'm starting to get nervous about being approved as a sponsor. I don't own property in Canada and don't see the point in finding a place to lease before I know when we will be able to move. I'd move my family now but without PR they'd be without OHIP and getting the kids enrolled in schools would be less seamless than I'd like.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
For me, to rent an apartment to sit empty until we arrive, God knows how long, at least one year, is not really an option.
There seems to have been a trend - or a burst perhaps - of visa offices asking for more evidence of intent to return, and this roughly coincided with the start of more normal business last fall/first few months of this year. That could be a new policy, or something they decided to do for all files temporarily, or one or a few bosses deciding to do with new staff.

The reason I mention is: those requests for more info seemed to be a form letter and did not show much evidence the original apps had been looked at in detail.

So: don't freak out or 'read posts in horror' where people were asked to come up with more proof. They were quite probably just sent a form letter.

Or as I keep repeating: the fact they mention some specific proofs (like renting a property) does not mean you have to rent a place and leave it empty at great expense (although that would be great proof).

Don't focus on the things you can't provide, but what you can provide, and prep for those. Many of those are free: eg, get an estimate from a moving company. Have emails with school officials if you have kids. Correspondence with a real estate company about what you need and availability in your place of settlement. Etc. Some you will have to do anyway - copies/correspondence about vaccinations (regular ones, let alone covid). Copies/arrangements of educational stuff. If children will need language testing, get that. Etc.

If you're still concerned, you can write letters of explanation that you haven't undertaken some steps because not practical or inordinately expensive without knowing timing. (Yes, I think they would likely be more undrestanding of complexity for those with multiple children than for eg a couple)

(I personally think getting TRVs for the family would also make sense, and that visits if possible - hard in covid - would bolster case.)

cjr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2020
Many of those are free: eg, get an estimate from a moving company. Have emails with school officials if you have kids. Correspondence with a real estate company about what you need and availability in your place of settlement. Etc. Some you will have to do anyway - copies/correspondence about vaccinations (regular ones, let alone covid). Copies/arrangements of educational stuff. If children will need language testing, get that. Etc.
" Some you will have to do anyway"

Exactly. Those are the things that show actual intent. Which is all that they're looking for.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Exactly. Those are the things that show actual intent. Which is all that they're looking for.'
I'd add a small note - that the danger for applicant is taking the relatively long silence between the burst of activity of bios and meds and later stages and forgetting that yes, it's pending, and continuing to get prepared. (Speaking personally this was a HUGE issue during the mar-september period of global shutdowns last year - impression that nothing would ever change).

For these types of relatinships where the couple has been living abroad for a long time - the 'relationship part' is going to get approved quickly, so keep preparing.

It really is easy to get into the long wait by thinking about all the stuff you can't do now because you don't know dates. If you need to mentally, pick some date and work towards that. (Ideally within one year of the meds) We targetted school year, which the covid shutdowns completely and utterly torpedoed btw

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The increased proof of intent started around 2-3 years ago for valid reasons. Many were not actually returning to Canada permanently and left soon after getting their PR card(s).

cristib

Aug 3, 2021
There is no other country in the world that will give people citizenship so easy, only after 3 years, so I don't understand why people would leave and not stick around to get it. What can you do with a PR card, and won't this expire at some point? Maybe people leave because they can't make it. The life is expensive and the funds they come with finish fast, or they just realize that they had better life before, or they are really unhappy.