+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada with Non-PR wife

hollafame

Aug 6, 2018
Hi everyone,

I've gotten a job offer for back home. My wife has already been refused previously as this is one of the stipulation they needed to grant her the PR. I was wondering if now since it's covid times whether she will be able to come back with me at the same time (She has a Tourist Visa at the moment).

Since it is covid times, it might be more complicated. I filled out the wizard on the website but it only said that she will likely be allowed based on "reunification with family" however would it still be considered a "reunification with family" if she is actually with me when I fly out there?

Also, we plan on applying inland once we arrive in Montreal where my job offer is. Anybody have experience in this whether it would be smooth sailing?

Thank you very much for the helpful community

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

I've gotten a job offer for back home. My wife has already been refused previously as this is one of the stipulation they needed to grant her the PR. I was wondering if now since it's covid times whether she will be able to come back with me at the same time (She has a Tourist Visa at the moment).

Since it is covid times, it might be more complicated. I filled out the wizard on the website but it only said that she will likely be allowed based on "reunification with family" however would it still be considered a "reunification with family" if she is actually with me when I fly out there?

Also, we plan on applying inland once we arrive in Montreal where my job offer is. Anybody have experience in this whether it would be smooth sailing?

What was the previous refusal for? When? Did she get the trv after being refused previously? Do not understand the 'stipulation for her to be granted PR.'

Apart from not understanding this point - she should be able to travel with you, they don't consider it necessary for you to be in Canada first for spouse to join under reunification exemption to covid travel rules. So you should be able to do this and apply inland.

Note as with anyone arriving as tourist - if asked at border, she must be arriving to visit. I.e. do't show up with all worldly posssessions.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Hi everyone,

Shouldn't be a problem travelling with a tourist visa. Good idea to have a return ticket and don't forget the cheap sunglasses.
Once you apply inland it will be risky for her to return until the process is completed. Does that work for her?

hollafame

Aug 6, 2018
What was the previous refusal for? When? Did she get the trv after being refused previously? Do not understand the 'stipulation for her to be granted PR.'

Apart from not understanding this point - she should be able to travel with you, they don't consider it necessary for you to be in Canada first for spouse to join under reunification exemption to covid travel rules. So you should be able to do this and apply inland.

Note as with anyone arriving as tourist - if asked at border, she must be arriving to visit. I.e. do't show up with all worldly posssessions.
She was previously refused because me as her sponsor didn't show strong intent to return. But now I have a job offer so when I re-apply inland I hope not to get refused again. Hmm, we will have two suitcases full of clothes, do you think that will raise questions?

Shouldn't be a problem travelling with a tourist visa. Good idea to have a return ticket and don't forget the cheap sunglasses.
Once you apply inland it will be risky for her to return until the process is completed. Does that work for her?
Yes, she is ok not having to return until the process is finish. She will probably apply for a work permit though once she's inside, do you guys know how long that will take?

And for return ticket, would only she need one or would I need one too?

Thanks guys

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
[QUOTE/] Hmm, we will have two suitcases full of clothes, do you think that will raise questions?

[/QUOTE]
Personally I think that should be totally fine. You just don't want to show up with your whole life in a bag and have to explain why you are just visiting but bringing everything. Are you the citizen bringing any goods with you besides clothes (i.e. sending with a moving company)?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
She was previously refused because me as her sponsor didn't show strong intent to return. But now I have a job offer so when I re-apply inland I hope not to get refused again.
Ah, I see, if the previous refusal was because of your intent to return, then having actually returned to Canada should address that.

Yes, she is ok not having to return until the process is finish. She will probably apply for a work permit though once she's inside, do you guys know how long that will take?
You understand that the work permit app must be included in the inland spousal sponsorship app? That's the only way. I don't follow this so check the inland threads. I heard the figure 8-10 months but do not know. You should assume that she won't be able to work for quite some time and health care and other issues may apply.

Good luck.