+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Return to Canada

rami-khalil

Jul 4, 2018
Hi
I arrived Canada under group of 5 program, I applied for PR card in the airport.
I traveled from Canada before obtaining the PR card, I just use my home country passport to reserve a ticket and travel to my work to Africa.
Now I have to return to Canada but the PR card still in process.
1- Does the airlines allow me to board with my documents such as landing visa, confirmation of PR, social insurance number, and driving license with photo ID.
2- if yes and I arrived Canada, is it big problem to re-enter Canada with my home passport ( as refugee), is possible to cancel my residency?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You have a few problems. Probably the biggest one is that you used your home country passport to travel. You should not have done this. You should have applied for a Refugee Travel Document instead. Since you have using your home country passport since becoming a PR, there's a risk your PR status may be revoked once you apply for citizenship. I would recommend you read through the cessation thread on this forum that discusses this situation:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/refugee-status-cessation-and-prs-applying-for-citizenship.333455/page-22

To answer your questions:
1) No. The airline will not let you board. You need to obtain a either a PR Travel Document or have your PR card to board the airplane. You should also be using Refugee Travel Document to return to Canada since you are not supposed to be using your passport. Details in the following link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians.html
2) As mentioned above, by traveling on your home country passport, you have put your PR status at risk. You probably won't have issues re-entering Canada. However you should expect there may be problems once you try to apply for citizenship. Do not use your home country passport for any further travel. Do not renew your home country passport. Do not visit your home country for any reason.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
your problem might be even a bit bigger.

Here are the obstacles you face:
1. you are not able to board the plane without a valid PR to Canada
You can overcome that by asking for PRTD. However that alone can highlight your situation. In simple words, all they need to check is if you were issued a refugee travel documents and if you have used it. (airline database).
You might get it, but it can go to your record (any passport usage for travelling or renewal is a reavailement)
2. You can try to pass through USA border, except that will hardly work. Why? In order to enter USA you will need either visa or ESTA. Which of course you wont get as a refugee without a refugee travel document.
3. Then you can try to enter illegally to USA and then go up to the Canadian border. That one is a good way to get yourself into mess as well.

Yes at some point they will check back your activities with USA.
So once you get back to Canada it would be a good idea to contact a good immigration lawyer.

And I might be painting all black but, actually it is not that difficult for them to track your travelling.