+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Return home trips -

paytons

May 26, 2014
How long does CBSA like to see someone out of country before they'll let them back in for a few months stint (averages or experiences would be super).

TIA

paytons

May 26, 2014
Also.., if we apply for an extended stay, can
We travel to the US and back into canada or will departure from canada result in a new "visit" upon return?

Patrucci

May 26, 2014
I'm the other person (U.S. Citizen) in the above mentioned relationship. Our relationship has gotten serious over the past six months . I came up to visit on the 1st of May and tentatively returning home on the 3rd of July. We've gotten on very well and are talking marriage. We really do not wish to be apart for extended amounts of time but, I don't want to cause issues for us either, with the CBSA. We would like to be able to travel back and forth, together, without issue. Thoughts?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
paytons said:
Also.., if we apply for an extended stay, can
We travel to the US and back into canada or will departure from canada result in a new "visit" upon return?
There is no set amount of time you must remain outside Canada before you can enter again, and there is no such thing as a visitor visa for US or Canadian citizens, to enter each other's country. Each situation of crossing the border will be it's own little situation, and each time you may be subject to prove intent to leave. ties to home country, proof of funds etc etc.

99 times out of 100 there is usually no issue when Canadians or Americans cross the border either direction. However it's that 1 in 100 time that you have to watch out and be prepared for.

Of course you can't apply for PR until you get married or become officially common-law (living 12 continuous months together).

After you get married or become common-law and apply for PR, you can then apply at the border for a visitor record which should make each entry into Canada a whole lot easier. I think (but not certain) that you have to wait until you're married for this, and they won't usually give a visitor record to people just dating. However i would let others who have gotten visitor records advise further on the process.

paytons

May 26, 2014
Thanks Rob. It's seeming that marriage and proof of PR app might be easiest in terms of travel back and forth vs the common law plan with the CBSA?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
paytons said:
Thanks Rob. It's seeming that marriage and proof of PR app might be easiest in terms of travel back and forth vs the common law plan with the CBSA?
Getting married is the easiest. Once you get married, you can apply for PR. However keep in mind the shorter the relationship before marriage and applying for PR, the more suspicious CIC will be of the relationship.

With common-law you can't apply for PR until the qualifying time living together is completed. Common-law requires 12 months of continuous cohabitation, either in Canada or USA or a combination of both. As long as it adds up to 12 months, and there are no breaks during the qualifying time. Typically if a US citizen has a 6-month status in Canada it's pretty easy to request an additional 6 months when that's up.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Patrucci said:
We would like to be able to travel back and forth, together, without issue. Thoughts?
All the other good information provided aside, I always like to suggest you look into getting your NEXUS cards. The fee is $50 (each) and they are valid for 5 years. With those you should be able to travel back and forth VERY easily. If you usually "drive" across you would want to ensure that there is a NEXUS lane where you normally cross.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
truesmile said:
All the other good information provided aside, I always like to suggest you look into getting your NEXUS cards. The fee is $50 (each) and they are valid for 5 years. With those you should be able to travel back and forth VERY easily. If you usually "drive" across you would want to ensure that there is a NEXUS lane where you normally cross.
Great suggestion! Keep in mind that all passengers in the vehicle would need to have a card as well.

paytons

May 26, 2014
Didn't think of that. Thanks. I have mine already. We would be flying so that makes a ton of sense!