Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, have a question.

The following is written on PGWP:
Unless authorized, prohibited from attending any educational institution
OR
taking any academic, PROFESSIONAL or vocational , training courses.
Does it mean that a person with such a a permit is prohibited from taking, let's say, accounting courses for getting Certified Professional Accountant in future? And from taking Canadian Security Course for Financial graduates?

OR that restrictions concerns only academic (for credits) courses? I know that, for example , Live in- caretakers can take any non-credit courses but cannot be enrolled or even take one academic course.

On CIC site it is written :

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/consider.asp

A professional training program is a type of additional education or training usually offered to professionals already in the field. Professional development is generally “accredited”; that is, it is recognized by an industry, association, or profession. Professional training is offered through community colleges, universities, CEGEPs, career colleges, professional associations, or unions.

In general, professional training programs require participants to complete both a study and work component in order to successfully complete the program, and obtain the given credential. However, unlike co-op/internship programs in post-secondary institutions (e.g., universities, community colleges) such programs often consist of a full-time work component and a part-time study component. The work component often comprises more than 50% of the study component.

Applicants wishing to participate in professional training programs must:

apply for a study permit to cover the study portion, if the study component is more than six months at a designated learning institution; and
apply for the appropriate work permit to cover the work portion.
It looks that is is about some education which consists of going to school, taking course, going to work (this is a way how trades are getting their Red Seal in Canada: work full time for some time (usually 8-12 months) to get some experience, then go to school for couple of months, then come back to full time job again). And it is not a co-op or internship for college and university students.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Regina said:
Guys, have a question.

The following is written on PGWP:
Does it mean that a person with such a a permit is prohibited from taking, let's say, accounting courses for getting Certified Professional Accountant in future? And from taking Canadian Security Course for Financial graduates?

OR that restrictions concerns only academic (for credits) courses? I know that, for example , Live in- caretakers can take any non-credit courses but cannot be enrolled or even take one academic course.

On CIC site it is written :

It looks that is is about some education which consists of going to school, taking course, going to work (this is a way how trades are getting their Red Seal in Canada: work full time for some time (usually 8-12 months) to get some experience, then go to school for couple of months, then come back to full time job again). And it is not a co-op or internship for college and university students.
It just means that you need a study permit to attend the ones you mentioned, you can't use your PGWP for the course part of the CPA for example but you can use your PGWP to work as a CPA/get the experience for the CPA and get a study permit to follow the courses in the CPA program.

samroc

Oct 7, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Passport Req..
04-07-2017
LANDED..........
10-10-2017
This has definitely been confusing for me too. I plan on taking the CFA exam and I confirmed with an immigration advisor at my university that it does not violate my PGWP conditions unless I enroll in a prep course (which I am not) but I still have concerns if it will impact my status or not. Any further insights will be useful.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It just means that you need a study permit to attend the ones you mentioned, you can't use your PGWP for the course part of the CPA for example
Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.
But I think you still are wrong. :) With CPA courses there is no "attending".
It is difficult to understand what is "a professional training" but it seems to me CPA courses are not "training". I think, what CIC means is something when your job sends you to get some professional training , like say teachers' schools do with teachers "continuous training". Or health care workers. They do not work when they study.
Aslo , this 'explanation" on CIC site is confusing :
Applicants wishing to participate in professional training programs must:

apply for a study permit to cover the study portion, if the study component is more than six months designated learning institution; and
apply for the appropriate work permit to cover the work portion.
A job even at accounting firm does not require a "study portion", you may work as a staff accountant without CPA designation there ( lacking the designation will affect your scope of work and earnings but you still may work there ). "Professional training" is something else. It looks like to be a professional training there must be two integrated parts : work and studying portions.
I plan on taking the CFA exam and I confirmed with an immigration advisor at my university that it does not violate my PGWP conditions unless I enroll in a prep course (which I am not)
That is also a part of my confusion. I know a last year graduate who got her CFA-1 recently still on PGWP. I do not think she did it without knowing if it is restricted or not.
Aslo
students are not eligible if they undertake general interest or preparatory courses, or work-study programs offered by professional or technical associations,
CPA and CFA courses ARE NOT a work-study program at professional or technical associations.

I believe you adviser is right but I am going to call CIC and ask for clarification.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also look here under "Distance learning":

Distance learning can be through e-learning, correspondence, or internet courses. Distance learning is a process by which technology is used in ways where the student does not have to physically be in the place where the teaching is taking place.

Since by definition distance learning does not require one to be in Canada, a study permit cannot be issued for this type of course. For example, if a foreign national authorized to work in Canada is prohibited from engaging in studies as per a condition of their work permit, they are allowed to engage in distance learning courses.

samroc

Oct 7, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Passport Req..
04-07-2017
LANDED..........
10-10-2017
If you get any clarification form CIC, please do update this thread. Thank you so much.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would not call them. Our case is cleared by CIC on Cic site - in bold
Regina said:
Also look here under "Distance learning":
Distance learning can be through e-learning, correspondence, or internet courses. Distance learning is a process by which technology is used in ways where the student does not have to physically be in the place where the teaching is taking place.

Since by definition distance learning does not require one to be in Canada, a study permit cannot be issued for this type of course. For example, if a foreign national authorized to work in Canada is prohibited from engaging in studies as per a condition of their work permit, they are allowed to engage in distance learning courses.

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
samroc said:
This has definitely been confusing for me too. I plan on taking the CFA exam and I confirmed with an immigration advisor at my university that it does not violate my PGWP conditions unless I enroll in a prep course (which I am not) but I still have concerns if it will impact my status or not. Any further insights will be useful.
I am planning to apply for Visa through MBA course but on reaching Canada I plan to enroll in a CPA PREP course (PG Diploma) . Will that make me ineligible for PGWP ?

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
Hey All,

I have the same concern regarding the PGWP. What does this restriction mean? Does it restrict the kind of job I apply for? What does academic, professional and vocational course mean in this context? Can I still apply for a research job at an educational institution? It won't be same as attending is what i understand.

Can we still get on job training? Please someone kindly share their experience or information regarding this. Really appreciate the help. Thank you!

Best,
Bend

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
Hey guys, I would really appreciate if anyone can tell me whether volunteer work for around or less than six months under a PGWP is okay? Like if this volunteer work is at a clinic based in a law school.

On a side note, though I don't think that volunteer work is actually a course, however, I am concerned as it was at a law school. Can someone please reply? Really thankful for the help.

Last edited:

jasleenkb

Feb 3, 2018
Probably too late for the clarification. But I just called CIC this morning, and they said any course shorter than 6 months is exempted from study permit.
Please help me with my situation. I just want to take grade 11 and 12 courses one by one just chemistry and I have PGWP. I applied for pnp already, WIll it affect my status. I will really appreciate the help.
thank you.

Jammers

Aug 10, 2018
Please help me with my situation. I just want to take grade 11 and 12 courses one by one just chemistry and I have PGWP. I applied for pnp already, WIll it affect my status. I will really appreciate the help.
thank you.
Also looking to do something similar. Currently working full time on a 2 year work permit whilst my PR application is being processed, but I'd like to take some Grade 11 and 12 evening classes in chemistry, physics, maybe others.

Some have posted that courses less than 6 month don't require a study permit, but I haven't seen this on the Canadian Immigration website, and my work permit still states "Unless authorized, prohibited from attending any education institution...".

I'd be grateful if anyone could share similar experiences.

Thanks.

mcaranay

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
07-26-2017
Passport Req..
09-05-2017
[QUOTE="
Some have posted that courses less than 6 month don't require a study permit, but I haven't seen this on the Canadian Immigration website, and my work permit still states "Unless authorized, prohibited from attending any education institution...".
[/QUOTE]

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=484&top=15