+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restoration of Status with expired Provincial Nomination

Apr 27, 2020
Hello,

I am currently in Canada on an IEC work permit which expired in March. In January I applied for PR under Express Entry through the BC PNP and also applied for a BOWP to allow me to continue working whilst waiting for the PR decision and had been working on Implied Status since my IEC open work permit expired.

Unfortunately my BOWP application was refused last week due to me making the mistake of not paying the $100 Open Work Permit fee and apparently BOWP cannot be applied for online according to the IRCC agent I spoke with today. I ceased working immediately upon receiving the refusal letter in my IRCC account but my employer is very keen to have me return to work for them as soon as I'm legally allowed to.

I want to apply for restoration of status and get a new work permit but unfortunately my PNP certificate expired a few days before the BOWP application was refused. Does anyone know if it's possible to apply for restoration of status using an expired PNP certificate/support letter or to get a PNP extension if I'm currently out of status?

If anyone can offer any insight or guidance I'd be incredibly grateful, I'm terrified that I'll have to leave and never see my girlfriend or friends again.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am currently in Canada on an IEC work permit which expired in March. In January I applied for PR under Express Entry through the BC PNP and also applied for a BOWP to allow me to continue working whilst waiting for the PR decision and had been working on Implied Status since my IEC open work permit expired.

Unfortunately my BOWP application was refused last week due to me making the mistake of not paying the $100 Open Work Permit fee and apparently BOWP cannot be applied for online according to the IRCC agent I spoke with today. I ceased working immediately upon receiving the refusal letter in my IRCC account but my employer is very keen to have me return to work for them as soon as I'm legally allowed to.

I want to apply for restoration of status and get a new work permit but unfortunately my PNP certificate expired a few days before the BOWP application was refused. Does anyone know if it's possible to apply for restoration of status using an expired PNP certificate/support letter or to get a PNP extension if I'm currently out of status?

If anyone can offer any insight or guidance I'd be incredibly grateful, I'm terrified that I'll have to leave and never see my girlfriend or friends again.
I would recommend posting to the PNP section of the forum. Good luck.

Anyway

Jul 1, 2020
Hello,

I'm in the same situation, any updates in your case ?? Please help

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I believe that if you demonstrate to the PNP that you have already submitted a complete PR application they will issue a new nomination certificate and work support letter.

Anyway

Jul 1, 2020
I believe that if you demonstrate to the PNP that you have already submitted a complete PR application they will issue a new nomination certificate and work support letter.
Thank you for the reply.
This is the email from the PNP:
Unfortunately your Nomination Certificate cannot be extended under the Express Entry Stream. As per instructions that were sent with your Nomination, we cannot link your Nomination to another profile.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I wonder if they would issue a new work permit support letter:
Work Permit Support Letter

1. copy of Canadian immigration records (e.g. a copy of your current work permit)

2. proof of permanent residence application submission to IRCC (i.e. verification that you have submitted your application for permanent residence to IRCC before the nomination expiry date, such as the first page of the IRCC application for permanent residence including the date stamp)

3. copies of your wage statements for the last two pay periods

Anyway

Jul 1, 2020
I wonder if they would issue a new work permit support letter:
Work Permit Support Letter

1. copy of Canadian immigration records (e.g. a copy of your current work permit)

2. proof of permanent residence application submission to IRCC (i.e. verification that you have submitted your application for permanent residence to IRCC before the nomination expiry date, such as the first page of the IRCC application for permanent residence including the date stamp)

3. copies of your wage statements for the last two pay periods
I'm in difficult situation because my application for PR was canceled because incomplete. Now I'm preparing to extend my close work permit without PNP unfortunately

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
The cancellation of an Express Entry application as incomplete is the only reason for which the PNP will issue an extension. You said only that your BOWP application had been returned as incomplete (insufficient fee).

"If you applied for permanent residence to IRCC before the expiry of your BC PNP nomination and you have received a letter from IRCC that your application for permanent residence is being returned because it is incomplete (R10 rejection letter), you will need to create a new IRCC Express Entry profile and obtain a new job seeker validation code in order to request a nomination extension from the BC PNP.

The BC PNP will only provide a nomination extension if you are able to demonstrate that you submitted your application for permanent residence to IRCC before the nomination expiry date listed on the Confirmation of Nomination, or in other extenuating circumstances on a case-by-case basis."

Anyway

Jul 1, 2020
The cancellation of an Express Entry application as incomplete is the only reason for which the PNP will issue an extension. You said only that your BOWP application had been returned as incomplete (insufficient fee).

"If you applied for permanent residence to IRCC before the expiry of your BC PNP nomination and you have received a letter from IRCC that your application for permanent residence is being returned because it is incomplete (R10 rejection letter), you will need to create a new IRCC Express Entry profile and obtain a new job seeker validation code in order to request a nomination extension from the BC PNP.

The BC PNP will only provide a nomination extension if you are able to demonstrate that you submitted your application for permanent residence to IRCC before the nomination expiry date listed on the Confirmation of Nomination, or in other extenuating circumstances on a case-by-case basis."
It's complicated:
1) applied for PR
2) Got Nomination from Alberta
3) My EE profile canceled because incomplete
4) Open work permit extension request Nomination certificate
5) Alberta refuse to give extension as my certificate was related to my PR application
6) Now I have to apply for extension close permit