+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restoration of Status: A Guide for Canadian Temporary Residents

ThreeSquareImm

Star Member
Oct 26, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey everyone! After reading a lot of conflicting information on this forum about restoration, I decided to put together a short summary on restoration of status. I briefly examine what the IRPR and OP 12 have to say and some first steps to putting together an application. Let's get a discussion going on this topic.

Restoration of Status:
A Guide for Canadian Temporary Residents

We often receive the question, "I forgot to re-apply for my student/work visa and now I am out of status, what can I do?" Citizenship and Immigration Canada has made a provision for temporary residents whose status has expired and who want to apply to stay in Canada. This is called "Restoration of Status."

This guide will:

1) Explain what "Restoration of Status" is
2) Examine the IRPA/IRPR for relevant sections related to the restoration of temporary resident status
3) Examine the internal CIC Manuals for relevant sections related to this topic
4) Explain the steps a temporary resident must take to restore their status

Firstly, we feel that it is important to note from the outset that restoration of status is a privilege and not a right. The CIC website carefully writes:

"If your status has expired or if you did not respect one of the conditions of your permit or you have worked or studied without a required permit, you have committed an offence under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. You may be subject to an admissibility hearing that could lead to removal from Canada. If your temporary resident status has expired, do not apply for an extension as you are not eligible. However, if you wish to stay in Canada after your status has expired you may apply for restoration of status within 90 days of your offence (loss of status) or you must leave Canada. If you wish to apply for restoration, complete the enclosed application providing full details of how you came to commit the offence. There is no guarantee that your application will be accepted."

This is stated firmly. Overstaying your valid permit is an offence under Canadian law. Too often we hear from people who believe that they will automatically receive restoration of their status. This is false. A clear, complete explanation of the reason for committing the offence is required.

The Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) section 182 states:

182. Restoration - On application made by a visitor, worker, or student within 90 days after losing temporary resident status as a result of failing to comply with a condition imposed under paragraph 185(a), any of the subparagraphs 185(b)(i) to (iii) or paragraph 185(c), an officer shall restore that status if, following an examination, it is established that the visitor, worker or student meets the initial requirements for their stay and has not failed to comply with any other conditions imposed.

As referred to in the section above:

185. Specific conditions - An officer may impose, vary or cancel the following specific conditions on a temporary resident:

(a) the period authorized for their stay
(b) the work that they are permitted to engage in, or are prohibited from engaging in, in Canada, including
(i) the type of work,
(ii) the employer,
(iii) the location of the work

(c) the studies that they are permitted to engage in, or are prohibited from engaging in, in Canada, including
(i) the type of studies or course,
(ii) the educational institution,
(iii) the location of the studies, and
(iv) the times and periods of the studies;

The Manual OP 12 - Students provides the following information as it relates to this topic:

7.4. Restoration of status
R182 allows a foreign student in Canada to seek restoration of status (for a fee) within 90 days after their temporary resident status has been lost, only if they have failed to comply with one or more of the following conditions that were imposed on their permit(s) and they continue to meet the initial requirements for their stay and have not failed to comply with any other conditions imposed:

• They have remained in Canada longer than the period authorized for their, but no longer than 90 days.

• They have changed the type of studies, educational institution, location of studies, or times and periods of studies without applying to change these conditions on their study permit, if they were specified on their study permit as conditions.

Note: Officers should not unnecessarily restrict the student’s attendance to a specific institution.

• If the student was also holding a work permit and they changed employers, type of work, or location of work without applying to change the conditions that were first specified on their work permit.

Then, if the applicant is not otherwise inadmissible and satisfies the officer that they are a genuine temporary resident, the officer shall restore the temporary resident status and process the student application. Both fees have to be paid for restoration and the study permit. The application cost recovery fee for restoration is presently $200 [R306]. If a student applies for restoration of their status 90 days after they lost their temporary resident status, an officer shall refuse the application for restoration and report the temporary resident, worker or student, based on the grounds of inadmissibility. For example, the person has overstayed.

Restoration of status cannot be granted at the POE. Persons who have failed to comply with conditions imposed under R185 need to apply in Canada for restoration of their status. If they depart Canada, they will be deemed to be seeking a new entry upon their return.

Therefore, if a temporary resident meets the criteria listed above, they are eligible for restoration. In order to apply for restoration, the applicant must do the following:

1) Download IMM5708 (Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident Permit Holder)

2) On Question 3, Check "Restoration of Temporary Resident Status as Visitor"

3) On the Section "Background Information", Question 2a, you must check "Yes" and provide a brief explanation of your current situation of having overstayed your visa.

4) In a separate document, provide a clear, written explanation of the events leading to your overstay and why you were not able to extend your stay during your permits validity

5) Complete the forms IMM 5558, IMM 5708, IMM 5409 and IMM 5476 (if applicable)

6) On the checklist, IMM 5558, there is a section for "Restoration of Status." Ensure that you include all three documents listed in that section.

7) You must also include your Fee Payment receipt. You can pay the $200 restoration fee online at MyCIC.

Lastly, restoration of status applications can take up to 16 weeks to process. During this time workers and students are not eligible to continue their work or studies. This is not implied status. Therefore, temporary residents should take all proactive measures necessary to avoid this circumstance.

uttsweb

Mar 19, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-08-2014
AOR Received.
22-10-2014
Med's Request
21-04-2015
Med's Done....
23-04-2015
Passport Req..
18-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
ThreeSquareImm said:
Hey everyone! After reading a lot of conflicting information on this forum about restoration, I decided to put together a short summary on restoration of status. I briefly examine what the IRPR and OP 12 have to say and some first steps to putting together an application. Let's get a discussion going on this topic.

Restoration of Status:

We often receive the question, "I forgot to re-apply for my student/work visa and now I am out of status, what can I do?" Citizenship and Immigration Canada has made a provision for temporary residents whose status has expired and who want to apply to stay in Canada. This is called "Restoration of Status."

This guide will:

2) Examine the IRPA/IRPR for relevant sections related to the restoration of temporary resident status

Firstly, we feel that it is important to note from the outset that restoration of status is a privilege and not a right. The CIC website carefully writes:

"If your status has expired or if you did not respect one of the conditions of your permit or you have worked or studied without a required permit, you have committed an offence under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. You may be subject to an admissibility hearing that could lead to removal from Canada. If your temporary resident status has expired, do not apply for an extension as you are not eligible. However, if you wish to stay in Canada after your status has expired you may apply for restoration of status within 90 days of your offence (loss of status) or you must leave Canada. If you wish to apply for restoration, complete the enclosed application providing full details of how you came to commit the offence. There is no guarantee that your application will be accepted."

This is stated firmly. Overstaying your valid permit is an offence under Canadian law. Too often we hear from people who believe that they will automatically receive restoration of their status. This is false. A clear, complete explanation of the reason for committing the offence is required.

182. Restoration - On application made by a visitor, worker, or student within 90 days after losing temporary resident status as a result of failing to comply with a condition imposed under paragraph 185(a), any of the subparagraphs 185(b)(i) to (iii) or paragraph 185(c), an officer shall restore that status if, following an examination, it is established that the visitor, worker or student meets the initial requirements for their stay and has not failed to comply with any other conditions imposed.

185. Specific conditions - An officer may impose, vary or cancel the following specific conditions on a temporary resident:

(b) the work that they are permitted to engage in, or are prohibited from engaging in, in Canada, including
(i) the type of work,
(ii) the employer,

(c) the studies that they are permitted to engage in, or are prohibited from engaging in, in Canada, including

The Manual OP 12 - Students provides the following information as it relates to this topic:

R182 allows a foreign student in Canada to seek restoration of status (for a fee) within 90 days after their temporary resident status has been lost, only if they have failed to comply with one or more of the following conditions that were imposed on their permit(s) and they continue to meet the initial requirements for their stay and have not failed to comply with any other conditions imposed:

• They have remained in Canada longer than the period authorized for their, but no longer than 90 days.

• They have changed the type of studies, educational institution, location of studies, or times and periods of studies without applying to change these conditions on their study permit, if they were specified on their study permit as conditions.

Note: Officers should not unnecessarily restrict the student's attendance to a specific institution.

• If the student was also holding a work permit and they changed employers, type of work, or location of work without applying to change the conditions that were first specified on their work permit.

Then, if the applicant is not otherwise inadmissible and satisfies the officer that they are a genuine temporary resident, the officer shall restore the temporary resident status and process the student application. Both fees have to be paid for restoration and the study permit. The application cost recovery fee for restoration is presently $200 [R306]. If a student applies for restoration of their status 90 days after they lost their temporary resident status, an officer shall refuse the application for restoration and report the temporary resident, worker or student, based on the grounds of inadmissibility. For example, the person has overstayed.

Restoration of status cannot be granted at the POE. Persons who have failed to comply with conditions imposed under R185 need to apply in Canada for restoration of their status. If they depart Canada, they will be deemed to be seeking a new entry upon their return.

Therefore, if a temporary resident meets the criteria listed above, they are eligible for restoration. In order to apply for restoration, the applicant must do the following:

1) Download IMM5708 (Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident Permit Holder)

3) On the Section "Background Information", Question 2a, you must check "Yes" and provide a brief explanation of your current situation of having overstayed your visa.

4) In a separate document, provide a clear, written explanation of the events leading to your overstay and why you were not able to extend your stay during your permits validity

6) On the checklist, IMM 5558, there is a section for "Restoration of Status." Ensure that you include all three documents listed in that section.

7) You must also include your Fee Payment receipt. You can pay the $200 restoration fee online at MyCIC.

Lastly, restoration of status applications can take up to 16 weeks to process. During this time workers and students are not eligible to continue their work or studies. This is not implied status. Therefore, temporary residents should take all proactive measures necessary to avoid this circumstance.

Thanks ThreeSquareImm,
This is a very good explanation which a lot of people seeking for. Good job.

My condition is also related to restoration of status in Canada. My wife and me came to Canada on 2010, My wife as a student and me as a dependent. Once we came here I changed my status to Worker (as a spouse of a student is allowed to work). Recently she completed her Masters degree and applied a "Post Graduate work permit". At the same time I also applied for the work permit extension but got rejected. The rule is I cannot get a work permit unless my wife get a Job in Canada that falls under NOC 0, A or B level. Currently she don't have job.

Now the condition is, my legal status ended on 18th March 2013 (that is few days ago). Now I have to restore my status or else should leave after 90 days.

Now my question is:

1. I tried to apply online but it only shows $200 fee for restoration but do not charge $75 for Visitor application. In such case i am sure that my application will be rejected. Is there any option to pay $275 and apply online.

Thanks in advance and hoping to get your reply very soon.

jennyjenjen

Aug 26, 2015
ThreeSquareImm said:

Restoration of Status:

This guide will:

(i) the type of work,
(ii) the employer,

Note: Officers should not unnecessarily restrict the student's attendance to a specific institution.

What if the visitor did not have any form of visa (is a US citizen entered Canada with no visa as an assumed visitor) and has overstayed his 6 month visiting period. (He has been here for a total of 18 months now). Will he be allowed back into Canada if he leaves?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jennyjenjen said:
What if the visitor did not have any form of visa (is a US citizen entered Canada with no visa as an assumed visitor) and has overstayed his 6 month visiting period. (He has been here for a total of 18 months now). Will he be allowed back into Canada if he leaves?
- He could and should have applied to extend his visitor status before the 6 months were up.
- He could and should have applied for restoration of status within 90 days of his visitor status expiring (end of 6 months) if he didn't do the first.

He's illegally in Canada now and has been for ~ a year. Why do you need to know? Is it for spousal sponsorship? If so, he *might* be okay if he stays put in Canada.

In any case, he may well have problems returning to Canada if he leaves. However, his situation (whatever it is) will only worsen the longer he stays illegally. Please don't tell me (seriously, I really mean it!!) that he has been working while in Canada...

HoPe90

Nov 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
IN LAND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/01/2016
Doc's Request.
22/11/2016
Nomination.....
06/12/2016
AOR Received.
19/07/2016
Does anyone know how long it takes for them to process restoration of status? As I am applying to restore my status and also get a visitor visa.

SOL098

Apr 26, 2017
Hello, I would like you ask about the restoration status. I come to Canada on Working Holiday visa, 1 month before my visa expired I sent the Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a worker(Imm5710). Then I got the resolution with the date when my temporary residence expire and I have 90days for apply restoration. So I wanted apply online for visitor visa, but I have problem with submit my application. So my question is, Could I have any problems if I don't will apply for restoration of my status to Visitor, but I will leave Canada in the period of 90days?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
SOL098 said:
Hello, I would like you ask about the restoration status. I come to Canada on Working Holiday visa, 1 month before my visa expired I sent the Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a worker(Imm5710). Then I got the resolution with the date when my temporary residence expire and I have 90days for apply restoration. So I wanted apply online for visitor visa, but I have problem with submit my application. So my question is, Could I have any problems if I don't will apply for restoration of my status to Visitor, but I will leave Canada in the period of 90days?
If you don't plan to apply to restore your status, you should leave within 30 days. Otherwise you may find it difficult to re-enter Canada in the future.

SOL098

Apr 26, 2017
scylla said:
If you don't plan to apply to restore your status, you should leave within 30 days. Otherwise you may find it difficult to re-enter Canada in the future.
It is somewhere the information about the 30days? I cannot apply online, because there is something wrong and I don't know what, so if I wanna apply for restoration I have to send via mail, but I will get the resolution when I will back home. My temporary residence status expired 16th March and I will leaving Canada 19th May.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
SOL098 said:
It is somewhere the information about the 30days? I cannot apply online, because there is something wrong and I don't know what, so if I wanna apply for restoration I have to send via mail, but I will get the resolution when I will back home. My temporary residence status expired 16th March and I will leaving Canada 19th May.
No - the 30 days isn't officially posted anywhere. This is generally what CIC/CBSA seems to think is an acceptable length to stay in Canada after one's status has expires. If you stay longer, it can complicate future entries into Canada.

SOL098

Apr 26, 2017
scylla said:
No - the 30 days isn't officially posted anywhere. This is generally what CIC/CBSA seems to think is an acceptable length to stay in Canada after one's status has expires. If you stay longer, it can complicate future entries into Canada.
So are you suggest to send the restoration via mail to be safe? The easiest way will be online but... Sad

lynlynW

May 17, 2017
Can anyone tell me how do i submit online for restoration of status after completing the application. There seem to be no option for restoration of status here. Also I am not clear of the mailing address if it cannot be submitted online. The mailing address in AB which is the code for Alberta. Application is coming from Montreal. Please help!