+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residing in Quebec and working for a company in Ottawa?

SB1289

Nov 8, 2020
Hello All,

I am currently residing in Montreal and have more than two years of work experience in Quebec. I have started my PR process in Quebec and applied through Arrima under Quebec skilled worker program. I have a already received the invite for the CSQ and now currently I am at a stage of submitting my documents in order to get the CSQ. But recently I have got a good job offer from Ottawa and I really wish to take it. So can anyone please let me know if it's fine to reside in Quebec and work for a company in Ottawa, while my PR application is in progress? If my employer in Ottawa can show that I will be working remotely for them, then I hope it doesn't jeopardize my process of PR from Quebec? I mean the intention to reside in Quebec will not be contradicted in that case. What all documents will be required in order to proof my intention to reside in Quebec?

I have seen a thread of people residing in Ottawa and working in Gattineau OR Montreal and still able to get there PR from Ottawa. If it works that ways then I am hoping there be no problem other ways around?

Is there anyone who is in the same boat as me? I would really appreciate anyone's help on this.

Thanks a lot!!

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Hello All,

I am currently residing in Montreal and have more than two years of work experience in Quebec. I have started my PR process in Quebec and applied through Arrima under Quebec skilled worker program. I have a already received the invite for the CSQ and now currently I am at a stage of submitting my documents in order to get the CSQ. But recently I have got a good job offer from Ottawa and I really wish to take it. So can anyone please let me know if it's fine to reside in Quebec and work for a company in Ottawa, while my PR application is in progress? If my employer in Ottawa can show that I will be working remotely for them, then I hope it doesn't jeopardize my process of PR from Quebec? I mean the intention to reside in Quebec will not be contradicted in that case. What all documents will be required in order to proof my intention to reside in Quebec?

I have seen a thread of people residing in Ottawa and working in Gattineau OR Montreal and still able to get there PR from Ottawa. If it works that ways then I am hoping there be no problem other ways around?

Is there anyone who is in the same boat as me? I would really appreciate anyone's help on this.

Thanks a lot!!
Not in the same boat as you, FYI, but know of an individual who was refused csq coz he was working in Ottawa but residing in Montreal. You maybe lucky to pass through the sieves and hopefully get csq. Even remote needs to show the office that you are attached with and your payrolls prove that.

However you maybe eligible for EE as your work location is outside Quebec but an Intent to reside outside Quebec may still be needed.

Others in same situation as yours maybe able to help you best.

All the best.

SB1289

Nov 8, 2020
Not in the same boat as you, FYI, but know of an individual who was refused csq coz he was working in Ottawa but residing in Montreal. You maybe lucky to pass through the sieves and hopefully get csq. Even remote needs to show the office that you are attached with and your payrolls prove that.

However you maybe eligible for EE as your work location is outside Quebec but an Intent to reside outside Quebec may still be needed.

Others in same situation as yours maybe able to help you best.

All the best.
Thanks a lot for your reply. I checked with some immigration lawyers and they saying that you can work remotely in Ottawa while staying in Quebec. While applying for the PR from Quebec, it's just that I need to reside in Quebec and can't leave Quebec until I get my PR.

Reactions: Immstu

stunneragk

Jul 9, 2018
Hi,
I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I work remotely for an Alberta-based tech company in Quebec for the past year and am planning to apply for CSQ. How did your application go? Is this an option I can pursue or should I start looking for jobs from Quebec-based companies?

Sanjar718

Apr 4, 2019
Montreal
Category........
QSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-08-2021
Thanks a lot for your reply. I checked with some immigration lawyers and they saying that you can work remotely in Ottawa while staying in Quebec. While applying for the PR from Quebec, it's just that I need to reside in Quebec and can't leave Quebec until I get my PR.
I have similar situation, i've already got my CSQ in august and applied to PR federal level in september. And now my montreal company has not so much work for me and i have to find another company, so i found one remote job with good salary, but its located in toronto. Company connected me with lawyer and she told me that it wouldnt be a problem as long as i'm living in QUebec. The only minus is that i cant use my CSQ to avoid LMIA process, since company has no office in Quebec. So, company is getting LMIA via GTS. A bit more time consuming. But its doable!.

Sanjar718

Apr 4, 2019
Montreal
Category........
QSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-08-2021
I have similar situation, i've already got my CSQ in august and applied to PR federal level in september. And now my montreal company has not so much work for me and i have to find another company, so i found one remote job with good salary, but its located in toronto. Company connected me with lawyer and she told me that it wouldnt be a problem as long as i'm living in QUebec. The only minus is that i cant use my CSQ to avoid LMIA process, since company has no office in Quebec. So, company is getting LMIA via GTS. A bit more time consuming. But its doable!.
Actually, MIFI requested documents to be submitted to them too. It means even if company is outside of quebec i still need to go over process of getting CAQ. This is insane, technically with CSQ I should be exempt from LMIA CAQ, but since since job offer is outside of Quebec they are asking to with closed work permit and re-apply and go over LMIA CAQ process.