+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Obligation

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
Not spousal related but I have a concern.

I am a PR of Canada for 8 years now. I renewed my card last 2020 & my PR card will expire on December 2025.

I have been out of Canada for a long time for some personal matters and planning to go back on September in Canada for good. However, upon checking the physical calculator, I was not able to accumulate 730 days in the last 5 years (2017-2022).

My question is, will I still be able to go back in Canada since my PR card will expire in 2025 and I still have 3 years to spend in Canada or they will not allow me to enter because they will base it from 2017-2022?

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016

I am a PR of Canada for 8 years now. I renewed my card last 2020 & my PR card will expire on December 2025.

I have been out of Canada for a long time for some personal matters and planning to go back on September in Canada for good. However, upon checking the physical calculator, I was not able to accumulate 730 days in the last 5 years (2017-2022).

My question is, will I still be able to go back in Canada since my PR card will expire in 2025 and I still have 3 years to spend in Canada or they will not allow me to enter because they will base it from 2017-2022?
The five year period for RO will start with the point of examination and go backward five years. It is possible, that given you have a current PR card, that there won’t be an issue, or that you could be warned. No way to know what will happen, except by trying. Recommend that you stay in Canada for full two years, if not reported, so that you are back in compliance.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

My question is, will I still be able to go back in Canada
Agree with the above but would just add:
-you WILL be let back into Canada, the main question is whether you will be just waved through (possibly with a warning) or 'reported' for not meeting RO and they start process of revoking your PR (if this happens, you live in Canada while you appeal).

You should have some explanation of why you were away so long (eg longer than you expected because of covid/family/whatever).

-You are rather vague about how long you were out of Canada and how short of 730 days in five you are. The difference does matter - eg if you have zero days in the last five (or very few) likelihood of problems is higher. Things like ties in Canada (eg family) might influence as well.

Anyway there is not much you can do about that - what you can do is return sooner rather than later, and plan on remaining in Canada - travel until you're back in compliance bears some risk.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You’ve asked the question many times but choosing to study in your home country knowing that you won’t meet RO is a personal choice. You will have to see if you get reported upon entry. Nobody can predict whether you will.