+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Obligation - based on date of landing or COPR issuance?

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
Simple question really, I was issued COPR in October 2017 and became a landed PR last May on a brief soft landing trip. I didn't apply for a PR card when I arrived and will need a PRTD to go back.

Originally the plan was to relocate back to Canada at the beginning of this year however my personal circumstances have changed since then.

Does the RO counter of 730 days in every 5 years start from the date I landed in May 2018 or from the date my COPR was issued in October 2017?

Thanks in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Date of initial landing so you need to accumulate 2 years from May 2018 through April/May 2023.

The issuing of the COPR does not make you a PR you have to land in Canada to become a PR

Last edited:
Reactions: Bloodrose

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
Date of initial landing so you need to accumulate 2 years from May 2018 through April/May 2023.

The issuing of the COPR does not make you a PR you have to land in Canada to become a PR
Thank you. I thought that would be the case but I just wanted to make sure.

ammeg2014

Dec 27, 2018
Simple question really, I was issued COPR in October 2017 and became a landed PR last May on a brief soft landing trip. I didn't apply for a PR card when I arrived and will need a PRTD to go back.

Originally the plan was to relocate back to Canada at the beginning of this year however my personal circumstances have changed since then.

Does the RO counter of 730 days in every 5 years start from the date I landed in May 2018 or from the date my COPR was issued in October 2017?

Thanks in advance.

How was your PRTD process in the end?

I'm in the same boat - soft landing in January but I won't be able to move back permanently until next year. I didn't get PR card and need to apply for PRTD - but feeling really worried about applying!