Cleveland, OH
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Hello, all!

Long-time girlfriend and I are interested in relocating to the greater Toronto area on a permanent basis. We are from, and currently live in, Cleveland, but we travel to Toronto quite frequently. We just love it up there.

We're both in our mid-30s with no offspring. Marriage (likely) and kids (possible, still unsure) in the next few years. She finishes school in a few weeks. She currently has her Master's in Education, but has switched careers to Nursing. I have an IT degree and am currently employed by a large financial services company as a Systems Engineer.

She, obviously, will need a hospital or medical practice job. I, on the other hand, work from home full time aside from about 30% travel which will make being by Pearson REALLY nice!

I don't necessarily have any pressing need or even desire to leave my job. Can I simply keep my US-based job and do it from Canada? If my partner and I get married, then she gets a job in Canada would it be easier for me to go with her? If so, would I eventually need to leave my current employer?

Most routes I see on entering Canada have a prerequisite that you find a job that is in Canada prior to moving then work with your future employer to set up visas, sponsorship, etc.

My company has a presence in Canada, but due to the way it is structured I would need to reapply, would lose my seniority, and, by all rights, be working for an entirely new and separate company. There are legal and financial bindings between the companies, but the operations are entirely separate aside from a few multinational collaborations.

Ideally I just keep my job, apply for residency, update my address, and start paying taxes in Canada, but I know it can't be that easy.

Thanks in advance!