+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Research at home during master

allancmm

Aug 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

First of all, I'm Allan, from Brazil, married and I have a two-year-old boy. As many other people here, I want to pursue my master's in Computer Science in Canada.

If I get accepted into University of Ottawa or Carleton University, as the tuition fees there are very expensive, my wife will have to work to complement our budget and I'll have to take care of my son. My question is: is it possible to do at least part of my research at home or I'll have to stay at the university the whole day?

Another question, in a non-research course would it be easier to do my stuff at home?

Besides, with my profile, what chances do I have to get into the mentioned universities and also University of Victoria?

Bachelor degree in Computer Science, 80%
7 years working as a Systems Analyst in a bank
Proficiency English test: I took the TOEFL test 2 months ago and I didn't achieve the grade I need, but I nearly got the score, so I'm confident that if I study and practice a little bit more I can make it next time.
GRE: I never took and if it's possible I won't take it.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
If I get accepted into University of Ottawa or Carleton University, as the tuition fees there are very expensive, my wife will have to work to complement our budget and I'll have to take care of my son. My question is: is it possible to do at least part of my research at home or I'll have to stay at the university the whole day?
well it really depends on the research ur doing but guessing from computer science may be u can do it from home if u have good resources like computer, internet and whatever else u would need for research. in most universities if u r doing research then ur class r reduced. U need to find a professor who would be interested in working with u for research without a professor u probably wont get admission

Another question, in a non-research course would it be easier to do my stuff at home?
for non research I am sure u only have to go for classes which is also possible as most classes are in the evening for masters. 2-3 times a week u will have classes. again this all depends on ur university and what courses u select.

allancmm

Aug 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
well it really depends on the research ur doing but guessing from computer science may be u can do it from home if u have good resources like computer, internet and whatever else u would need for research. in most universities if u r doing research then ur class r reduced. U need to find a professor who would be interested in working with u for research without a professor u probably wont get admission

for non research I am sure u only have to go for classes which is also possible as most classes are in the evening for masters. 2-3 times a week u will have classes. again this all depends on ur university and what courses u select.

Thanks for your reply, I didn't know that most of class take place in the evening, I thought they were in the morning. Your answer helps a lot. :) :)

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
masters classes tend to be in the evening but again depends on ur university u will have to check with ur university. in Concordia I had all classes in the evening I didnt take any that were in the afternoon

allancmm

Aug 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
masters classes tend to be in the evening but again depends on ur university u will have to check with ur university. in Concordia I had all classes in the evening I didnt take any that were in the afternoon
Is your course part-time or full-time?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012