+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rescheduling Oath Ceremony

legend_2020

Star Member
Mar 13, 2021
Hi, I am kind of in similar situation. But, I have received my oath ceremony date as Nov 24th and currently outside Canada. I haven't yet received email for the invitation.
Did you try to reschedule the oath ceremony incase you got it?
same i also recieved but i am travelling very soon.

andrews.juchem

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
Hi all,

Oath Ceremony (Calgary office):
- All the statuses, except the Oath Ceremony, were updated to Completed on Oct 28, 2021.
- About 4 weeks later, the Oath Ceremony Status changed to In Progress on Nov 20, 2021, and I got an invite email two days after asking me to attend the ceremony on December 15, 2021. Since I'm not currently in Canada, I sent them an email asking them to reschedule it after January 2022.

It's been about a week since I have sent them an email asking to reschedule it but haven't heard anything back from them. Has anyone rescheduled the Oath Ceremony? If yes, how long did it take to get a response, and did they give a new date?

zerihun

May 16, 2014
Hi all,

Oath Ceremony (Calgary office):
- All the statuses, except the Oath Ceremony, were updated to Completed on Oct 28, 2021.
- About 4 weeks later, the Oath Ceremony Status changed to In Progress on Nov 20, 2021, and I got an invite email two days after asking me to attend the ceremony on December 15, 2021. Since I'm not currently in Canada, I sent them an email asking them to reschedule it after January 2022.

It's been about a week since I have sent them an email asking to reschedule it but haven't heard anything back from them. Has anyone rescheduled the Oath Ceremony? If yes, how long did it take to get a response, and did they give a new date?
I am from Calgay too, I emailed to reschedule the oath on august 3 ,2021 , no one contact me after that. Almost 4 months.

andrews.juchem

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
That's a long time. It must be frustrating. There is another user who is also from Calgary and got a new date a few days after sending a message via the WebForm.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/reschedule-video-oath-ceremony-citizenship.740790/post-9825761
Anecdotally, it seems that poking IRCC via the webform (politely) usually results in some response within a week - I wrote about my Oath and got it like a week later.

Best of luck.

Reactions: andrews.juchem

sk6492

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2017
AOR Received.
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
21-02-2017
Do you HAVE to be in Canada(or show them boarding pass) to apply for an oath reschedule date?
I just got my oath invitation, but want to reschedule it to few months late.
But I also dont want to be in canada and wait for X months just for the oath. (I am working overseas)

andrews.juchem

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
Do you HAVE to be in Canada(or show them boarding pass) to apply for an oath reschedule date?
But I also dont want to be in canada and wait for X months just for the oath. (I am working overseas)
Based on what the Oath Invitation letter says, and in my understanding, if you cannot attend the ceremony, you need to reply to them as soon as possible and explain the reason why you cannot attend it. It doesn't matter if you are not in Canada, since that's the reason why you cannot attend the Oath in the first place.

Below are two relevant items from the Oath Invitation letter:

1. You (and any family member associated to your application) will be asked to cut up your Permanent Resident card(s) during the session with an employee. If you plan to travel soon and will require your Permanent Resident card to return to Canada and therefore prefer to postpone your citizenship ceremony temporarily, contact us as soon as possible. Also read the “Information about Passports” below.
4. If you cannot take the oath, i.e. you are not available at this date and time due to work, health, travel, or other reasons; you do not have the video/internet capability; you are physically unable or require accommodation; prefer an in-person ceremony; etc., contact us as soon as you receive this invitation with an explanation in order to be rescheduled or to postpone - NOTE: a request for an in-person ceremony will result in delays in processing of your application. In your reply, change the e-mail subject line accordingly, i.e. Ceremony - New date/time needed, Ceremony - No equipment/Internet, etc.

Reactions: sk6492

Application2019

Star Member
Jun 4, 2019
Hi Everyone,
I missed my oath due to out of canada. I came back to canada in june and send my boarding passes and stamp pages through email.
Six months have spend and receive no answer. My office is montreal.
Is anyone in the same situation?
When will i get new date? (estimated time)
Thanking you in advance for the reply

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Hi Everyone,
I missed my oath due to out of canada. I came back to canada in june and send my boarding passes and stamp pages through email.
Six months have spend and receive no answer. My office is montreal.
Is anyone in the same situation?
When will i get new date? (estimated time)
Thanking you in advance for the reply
Unknown, unfortunately - this is one of the main reasons pretty much everyone is advising against postponing; given the current backlog of 2019 (and some 2020) candidates and the Afghanistan situation, people that have requested reschedules /may/ be put on the bottom of the pile. I couldn't take that risk (I had vacation scheduled a month after my Oath), so I just cancelled my trip - wasn't worth the aggravation of a reschedule.

Good luck, hope you get it soon.

mhd10

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
Just wanted to mention that if you choose to reschedule, there is no guarantee on when you will get your new oath date. There are some applicants who have rescheduled 6 months or even a yearo ago and still havent heard back about their new date. This is why no one recommends to reschedule unless you really dont have a choice.

andrews.juchem

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
Update:

My Oath Ceremony was scheduled for today, but I was not going to be able to attend it since I'm not currently in Canada. I've sent an email almost a month ago (when I got the invitation email) asking them to reschedule it. However, I haven't received any response yet, so I decided to join the Oath call today and confirm with them if they received my email. The first step of the Oath is a private call for pre-registration. I thought that this was going to be my only chance to speak with someone, so I did it.

The officer said that there was already a note in my file saying "Out of the country, probably no show up". She said that they (whatever department that replies to these emails) get many of these that sometimes they don't even reply to people. It means that they, in fact, got my message but didn't notify me. On my account's dashboard, the system was still showing that I had to attend the Oath on December 15, but after the call today, that message disappeared.

I asked her if she could add a note to my file specifying the day that I would be back (since I already have flight tickets) and she said that she was going to add one more comment to it. She also suggested sending a new email when I get back to remind them that I'm back in Canada. I asked how long it would take to get a new invitation and she believes that it could take 4 to 8 weeks.

Let's see what's gonna happen next after I get back.

Lomi90

Star Member
Mar 10, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2015
File Transfer...
17-03-2015 (SA)
Med's Done....
26-02-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
01-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-2015 (copr)
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
Update:

My Oath Ceremony was scheduled for today, but I was not going to be able to attend it since I'm not currently in Canada. I've sent an email almost a month ago (when I got the invitation email) asking them to reschedule it. However, I haven't received any response yet, so I decided to join the Oath call today and confirm with them if they received my email. The first step of the Oath is a private call for pre-registration. I thought that this was going to be my only chance to speak with someone, so I did it.

The officer said that there was already a note in my file saying "Out of the country, probably no show up". She said that they (whatever department that replies to these emails) get many of these that sometimes they don't even reply to people. It means that they, in fact, got my message but didn't notify me. On my account's dashboard, the system was still showing that I had to attend the Oath on December 15, but after the call today, that message disappeared.

I asked her if she could add a note to my file specifying the day that I would be back (since I already have flight tickets) and she said that she was going to add one more comment to it. She also suggested sending a new email when I get back to remind them that I'm back in Canada. I asked how long it would take to get a new invitation and she believes that it could take 4 to 8 weeks.

Let's see what's gonna happen next after I get back.
Thank you for your update. I am actually in the same boat (also Calgary). I had my oath scheduled yesterday but I emailed them and sent a webform as well to ask for postponement. I did not go on the oath call but I am assuming my file would be in the same situation as yours. My story is a little different though as I am currently living in Europe and therefore have to fly back and wait for my passport before returning 'home'. I just didn't want to risk being away from my family during Christmas. I will send them another email when I think flying back for the oath would be more doable. Do you happen to know what email address to use to let them know I'm able to come for the oath? I can't call them because I'm overseas.

Your comment here is very helpful in this though so thanks again!!

Reactions: andrews.juchem

andrews.juchem

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
Thank you for your update. I am actually in the same boat (also Calgary). I had my oath scheduled yesterday but I emailed them and sent a webform as well to ask for postponement. I did not go on the oath call but I am assuming my file would be in the same situation as yours. My story is a little different though as I am currently living in Europe and therefore have to fly back and wait for my passport before returning 'home'. I just didn't want to risk being away from my family during Christmas. I will send them another email when I think flying back for the oath would be more doable. Do you happen to know what email address to use to let them know I'm able to come for the oath? I can't call them because I'm overseas.

Your comment here is very helpful in this though so thanks again!!
In my case, I live in Calgary, but I thought the same thing as you. I didn't want to go back just a few days before Christmas and stay away from my family during the holidays.

I sent the email to IRCC.DN-CITIZENSHIP-CEREMONIES-RN-CITOYENNETE-CEREMONIES.IRCC@cic.gc.ca and filled out the Web Form with the same message. I'm not sure which one is the best. In theory, emailing them should be enough as that is what they point out as a communication channel in the invitation PDF.

If you sent them an email already, probably they've already updated your file as well. I know it's frustrating when you don't know what's happening and need to guess.

In the worst-case scenario, if you really want to call them, you can try Skype. I've already called them before via Skype. You need to add some credits there though, but the price per minute is super cheap, like a few cents.

Reactions: Svet81 and pal-3

pal-3

Mar 27, 2013
In my case, I live in Calgary, but I thought the same thing as you. I didn't want to go back just a few days before Christmas and stay away from my family during the holidays.

I sent the email to IRCC.DN-CITIZENSHIP-CEREMONIES-RN-CITOYENNETE-CEREMONIES.IRCC@cic.gc.ca and filled out the Web Form with the same message. I'm not sure which one is the best. In theory, emailing them should be enough as that is what they point out as a communication channel in the invitation PDF.

If you sent them an email already, probably they've already updated your file as well. I know it's frustrating when you don't know what's happening and need to guess.

In the worst-case scenario, if you really want to call them, you can try Skype. I've already called them before via Skype. You need to add some credits there though, but the price per minute is super cheap, like a few cents.
Finally some good information on out of country Oath re-scheduling as I am in the same boat. It will be nice to see when they give you a new date ponce you are back.

anton1990

Champion Member
Dec 22, 2015
North Battleford
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-04-2016
Nomination.....
21-04-2016
AOR Received.
11-07-2016
Med's Request
02-05-2017
Med's Done....
09-05-2017
Passport Req..
08-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2017
LANDED..........
14-01-2018

Did you try call CIC lately? I called them today . Nobody will talk to you unless you are from Afghanistan.