+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rescheduling Oath Ceremony

Application2019

Star Member
Jun 4, 2019
It is the same situation with me …6 months in my case no response….
Hi,
Are you also made a request of reschedule the Oath ceremony date and what is your office?
Once you check online status, what is mentioned on your status and have you called the IRRC no? what they said?
MY office is Montreal.
Reply please because may be get some information from you.
Thanking you in advance

ac_2018

Nov 13, 2018
I requested a specific Oath time frame and at least three weeks' notification time when sending rescheduling emails, and I got the dates I wanted in mid-January. I think the oath ceremony email worked. I didn't send them my itinerary, but just let them know when I'll be in Canada. Thank you for sharing the Oath ceremony specific email.

ac_2018

Nov 13, 2018
I'm just sharing my true experience. I also let them know the reason why I needed that time frame. That's also what my IRCC office told me to write in email when I did the interview outside of Canada. I wrote three emails - two to the local IRCC office and one to the Ceremony specific email. I think we just need to keep writing emails to them. From my past experience with IRCC, they did read our emails, just no replies.

andrews.juchem

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
Hi all
My citizenship ceremony was on august 3, when I was outside candad , I emailed to reschedule on august 2 , 2021, . Today the oath status changed from in Process to not started. Just confused…pls help …
It also happened to me, but it didn't take that long (see timeframe below). My Oath status changed from In Progress to Not Started after I asked them to reschedule my Oath. Maybe you should email them again and say that you are in Canada and ready to attend the Oath.

My timeline (Calgary office):

- All the statuses, except the Oath Ceremony, were updated to Completed on Oct 28, 2021.
- About 4 weeks later, the Oath Ceremony Status changed to In Progress on Nov 20, 2021, and I got an invite email two days after asking me to attend the ceremony on December 15, 2021.
- On November 24, 2021, I sent them an email asking them to reschedule it after January 2022. I got no response from them apart from that Automatic Response.
- On December 15, 2021, I joined the Oath Ceremony call and spoke with an officer about rescheduling. She said that there was already a note in my file saying that I was outside of the country and probably would not attend the ceremony. During the call, she added one more comment to my file specifying the exact day that I'll be back (I asked if she could add this comment and she said yes and did it). However, she said that I still should send an email when I get back to remind them that I'm ready.
- On December 20, 2021, the Oath status changed from In Progress back to Not Started. I'm not sure why it changed back to Not Started and what the implications are. I'll send them an email at the end of January saying that I'm ready to take the Oath. Hopefully, it won't take that long to start moving again.

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
<snip>
- On December 20, 2021, the Oath status changed from In Progress back to Not Started. I'm not sure why it changed back to Not Started and what the implications are. I'll send them an email at the end of January saying that I'm ready to take the Oath. Hopefully, it won't take that long to start moving again.
I think it means exactly that, to be honest - your file is now back in a holding pattern and likely won't be restarted until you're back in the country. I think once you email them confirming you're back, it might/should go back to "In Progress".

Best of luck.

Last edited:

VSw

Jul 18, 2014
Following this thread, as I am waiting for the Oath invite and there is high likelihood that I will be outside Canada, when the oath invitation comes.

A friend of mine working in the US travelled back to Canada to attend his oath. During the oath he informed them that he need to return to his workplace in the US before receiving the certificate. He was allowed to give a local Canadian address to which the certificate will be sent and his friend will forward it to the US address. The Judge also mentioned that my friend can apply for the passport at the Canadian consulate in New York. Obviously he cannot re-enter Canada until the passport is ready, since the PR card has been destroyed already.

I guess, when my oath invitation comes, I shall write an email requesting permission for attending the Oath from abroad, and if it is not allowed, or I don't get a response for the email, do a short trip to Canada for the oath day, and then do the rest of the formalities from abroad.

Hope they start allowing to attend the oath from outside Canada as many people have waited for so long to get to this stage and the international travel is still not easy due to COVID restrictions.
You can try for them to allow you to attend from abroad. If they do, you're all set. However if they don't allow for it and you have to reschedule, be prepared that it may be pushed back by 6+ months to 1 year.

MIKEPEPSI

Mar 30, 2020
Hey guys.

So I finally got my oath scheduled and... I'm out of the country! I'm in the UK caring for my father as he's just had some major surgery.

I emailed to reschedule but I have a question what happens if I need to reschedule twice? I do not forsee this being an issue but there is a chance I will catch covid before I fly (there are kids in my household who go to school)

As such I am really worried about it. I can't leave my dad yet but I also don't want to lose this opportunity. Would cic be understanding if circumstances like covid meant I couldn't fly?

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Hey guys.

So I finally got my oath scheduled and... I'm out of the country! I'm in the UK caring for my father as he's just had some major surgery.

I emailed to reschedule but I have a question what happens if I need to reschedule twice? I do not forsee this being an issue but there is a chance I will catch covid before I fly (there are kids in my household who go to school)

As such I am really worried about it. I can't leave my dad yet but I also don't want to lose this opportunity. Would cic be understanding if circumstances like covid meant I couldn't fly?
I think they just put your application on hold and tell you to contact them when you're back in the country, so there's little risk of having to postpone it twice. If, by some wild chance you come back, get scheduled and have to leave again, that's uncharted territory as far as I know, but if I were you, I would plan on settling in to be a PR for quite some time.

Best of luck.

Reactions: andrews.juchem

svk1520

Dec 25, 2017
I'm just sharing my true experience. I also let them know the reason why I needed that time frame. That's also what my IRCC office told me to write in email when I did the interview outside of Canada. I wrote three emails - two to the local IRCC office and one to the Ceremony specific email. I think we just need to keep writing emails to them. From my past experience with IRCC, they did read our emails, just no replies.
Hi @ac_2018 You did the interview Outside Canada? have they started allowing interviews outside Canada now? Was there instructions in the interview request email or you just joined from outside without notifying them?

ac_2018

Nov 13, 2018
Hi @ac_2018 You did the interview Outside Canada? have they started allowing interviews outside Canada now? Was there instructions in the interview request email or you just joined from outside without notifying them?
Yes, IRCC now allows interviews from outside of Canada. I saw that from many other posts on this forum. But you need to let them know soon after you receive the invite letter.

Application2019

Star Member
Jun 4, 2019
It also happened to me, but it didn't take that long (see timeframe below). My Oath status changed from In Progress to Not Started after I asked them to reschedule my Oath. Maybe you should email them again and say that you are in Canada and ready to attend the Oath.

My timeline (Calgary office):

- All the statuses, except the Oath Ceremony, were updated to Completed on Oct 28, 2021.
- About 4 weeks later, the Oath Ceremony Status changed to In Progress on Nov 20, 2021, and I got an invite email two days after asking me to attend the ceremony on December 15, 2021.
- On November 24, 2021, I sent them an email asking them to reschedule it after January 2022. I got no response from them apart from that Automatic Response.
- On December 15, 2021, I joined the Oath Ceremony call and spoke with an officer about rescheduling. She said that there was already a note in my file saying that I was outside of the country and probably would not attend the ceremony. During the call, she added one more comment to my file specifying the exact day that I'll be back (I asked if she could add this comment and she said yes and did it). However, she said that I still should send an email when I get back to remind them that I'm ready.
Hi,
I also missed my oath in Jan 2021 due to out of country.
I backed to canada in May and still waiting for the rescheduling my oath.
Please give me some information about your status. Have you get any news about the reschedule or current what is mentioning in your status?
Thankyou in advance

zerihun

May 16, 2014
Hi,
Are you also made a request of reschedule the Oath ceremony date and what is your office?
Once you check online status, what is mentioned on your status and have you called the IRRC no? what they said?
MY office is Montreal.
Reply please because may be get some information from you.
Thanking you in advance
I am from Calgay,I gave call to cic 3 times they can’t do anything and I send an email 3 times no response. My status has changed last week from in process to not started citizenship oath ceremony.

Application2019

Star Member
Jun 4, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I Missed my Oath ceremony 6th Jan 2021 due to out of country. I informed through email. That time they reply me once i come back than send my boarding pass.
I send them my complete documents on May 2021 and still waiting for the date.
Yesterday i checked my online status and after 8 months, it was updated Background Check INPROGRESS. But before it mentioned that Background complete.

I am too much worry about this matter.
Please give me some information about my current situation. Is it Normal ?

Thankyou in advance for the rely