+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rescheduling Oath Ceremony

MIKEPEPSI

Mar 30, 2020
Hi all. In the times of covid I may have to travel overseas to be there for my best friend's wedding. She recently lost her father so I am her man of honour and want to be supportive on her big day.

However I received my test notice saying I will be sitting it between August 6th and August 27th. The wedding is in the first week of October so I am concerned I will be in the UK when they invite me for the oath ceremony.

Does anyone have experience of a similar situation and how long things take if you do reschedule. Could they decide this reason is not valid enough and cancel my application?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi all. In the times of covid I may have to travel overseas to be there for my best friend's wedding. She recently lost her father so I am her man of honour and want to be supportive on her big day.

However I received my test notice saying I will be sitting it between August 6th and August 27th. The wedding is in the first week of October so I am concerned I will be in the UK when they invite me for the oath ceremony.

Does anyone have experience of a similar situation and how long things take if you do reschedule. Could they decide this reason is not valid enough and cancel my application?
Any reason can be given for rescheduling it and there is no preset of conditions to qualify for it. Rescheduling have been happening for years since all of us are from outside hence most immigrants are always on travel hence this situation is not new to cic hence they always allowed more than one rescheduling requests. And first request is common.

But recently they updated the site with below information asking to inform to get their advice/next steps. So inform them that you are outside rather than asking on rescheduling in the first request itself. Keep it at the last option. First simply inform that you are outisde and request them if you can take oath outside. Lets see what they say. if they say they wont then they will anyway tell you to reschedule.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html#oath
You need to be in Canada to take the Oath of Citizenship. If you get your invitation while you’re outside Canada, reply to the invitation email to explain your situation in detail.

In your email

• put “Outside Canada – Oath of Citizenship” in the subject line
  • In the body of your message, include
    • your full name
    • your application number
    • a detailed explanation of your situation
We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email.

MIKEPEPSI

Mar 30, 2020
Hi man. Thank you for the reply. First question is should I tell them now before taking the test itself!? The second is I'm very anxious to leave as I got caught out and stuck in thd UK when thd first variant emerged there last Christmas. I am anxious if I go and get called back I may have complications due to covid and quarantines. Is it 2 months minimum from test date to oath ceremony??

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi man. Thank you for the reply. First question is should I tell them now before taking the test itself!? The second is I'm very anxious to leave as I got caught out and stuck in thd UK when thd first variant emerged there last Christmas. I am anxious if I go and get called back I may have complications due to covid and quarantines. Is it 2 months minimum from test date to oath ceremony??
Did you get invited for test yet?
If yes then you need to inform them as mentioned in the same page. They will tell you to take test from abroad as they are allowing everyone from the last few weeks.
If you havent received test invite then dont inform them anything. Some officers might put the file on hold.

I thought you already attend test and waiting for oath.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
You should be able to take the test outside Canada. Once you receive the test invite email, you should email them on the email ID listed in the test invite and request them to permit you to take test outside Canada. Lately, almost all applicants have received a positive response to that request.

However, for oath, it is unlikely to take oath from outside Canada. When you receive your oath email, you can email them (follow the instructions here) and follow the instructions in their response.

All the best!

Idda11

Jun 13, 2016
Any reason can be given for rescheduling it and there is no preset of conditions to qualify for it. Rescheduling have been happening for years since all of us are from outside hence most immigrants are always on travel hence this situation is not new to cic hence they always allowed more than one rescheduling requests. And first request is common.

But recently they updated the site with below information asking to inform to get their advice/next steps. So inform them that you are outside rather than asking on rescheduling in the first request itself. Keep it at the last option. First simply inform that you are outisde and request them if you can take oath outside. Lets see what they say. if they say they wont then they will anyway tell you to reschedule.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html#oath
You need to be in Canada to take the Oath of Citizenship. If you get your invitation while you’re outside Canada, reply to the invitation email to explain your situation in detail.

In your email

• put “Outside Canada – Oath of Citizenship” in the subject line
  • In the body of your message, include
    • your full name
    • your application number
    • a detailed explanation of your situation
We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email.

Hi! I am wondering if there is any evidence of people taking their Oath Ceremony outside Canada? Also if you ask to reschedule - is it possible to move 1 or 2 weeks ahead? Or they will provide their own date and you need to wait several months? I am abroad at the moment, I saw my status changed this Wednesday, today is Sunday but I didn't receive an email yet. Thank you

ziyoufeixiang

Star Member
Feb 25, 2016
dose anyone know if it's possible to know the name and email/phone number of the officer who processes one's application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi! I am wondering if there is any evidence of people taking their Oath Ceremony outside Canada? Also if you ask to reschedule - is it possible to move 1 or 2 weeks ahead? Or they will provide their own date and you need to wait several months? I am abroad at the moment, I saw my status changed this Wednesday, today is Sunday but I didn't receive an email yet. Thank you
There is no evidence whatsoever to indicate that people can take oath outside Canada.

If you choose to reschedule, the new date is not up to you. It could be a couple of weeks or it could be several months based on how IRCC will reschedule it.

Reactions: Happy116 and Idda11

Idda11

Jun 13, 2016
There is no evidence whatsoever to indicate that people can take oath outside Canada.

If you choose to reschedule, the new date is not up to you. It could be a couple of weeks or it could be several months based on how IRCC will reschedule it.
Thanks a lot for your answers!!!

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Take the test - the Oaths are taking a good bit longer than 3 months to arrive (For most applicants), so I wouldn't sweat it. If it does come, unless it's literally the day of the wedding, you should be able to hightail it back to Canada and take it.

I took the test and passed it in early June and am still awaiting my Oath. Of course, your mileage may vary, but, after the test, you have to get DM and then you get the Oath, so you'd still have two more steps to go post test.

skh_canada

Nov 6, 2021
Take the test - the Oaths are taking a good bit longer than 3 months to arrive (For most applicants), so I wouldn't sweat it. If it does come, unless it's literally the day of the wedding, you should be able to hightail it back to Canada and take it.

I took the test and passed it in early June and am still awaiting my Oath. Of course, your mileage may vary, but, after the test, you have to get DM and then you get the Oath, so you'd still have two more steps to go post test.
Did you got your Oath ceremony yet ? I am in the same boat as yours where I passed the test early June but still waiting for Oath Ceremony to get scheduled but now I have to travel and am worried.

snehasri

Jun 18, 2018
Hi, I am kind of in similar situation. But, I have received my oath ceremony date as Nov 24th and currently outside Canada. I haven't yet received email for the invitation.
Did you try to reschedule the oath ceremony incase you got it?

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Did you got your Oath ceremony yet ? I am in the same boat as yours where I passed the test early June but still waiting for Oath Ceremony to get scheduled but now I have to travel and am worried.
Nope, no Oath and no idea when it will happen.. Been waiting almost 4 months now; that seems to be the "minimum bar" for action.