+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rescheduling Citizenship Ceremony - What's the delay ?

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
Hey guys, so I've been waiting this moment since October, I just received the notice to attend Oath ceremony but obviously with my luck it had to fall in litterally the only week of the year I'm out of the country. So yeah I'll have to reschedule.

In your experience, anyone who has had to reschedule their citizenship ceremony. Do we go back at the bottom of the pile or next available ceremony ? How long did it take to get a new ceremony ?

Pasi

Champion Member
Sep 24, 2009
Toronto
Hey guys, so I've been waiting this moment since October, I just received the notice to attend Oath ceremony but obviously with my luck it had to fall in litterally the only week of the year I'm out of the country. So yeah I'll have to reschedule.

In your experience, anyone who has had to reschedule their citizenship ceremony. Do we go back at the bottom of the pile or next available ceremony ? How long did it take to get a new ceremony ?
Usually rescheduling can have huge delays and it depends on your visa office. Which office is processing your file? If there is a way to move your trip, I would suggest you to do that.

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
Unfortunately I cannot move it otherwise I wouldn't be contemplating the idea of rescheduling, I'll have to attend conferences for work in California, everything is already paid for and cost thousands of dollars to my company. I even wrote an email to IRCC to let them know I wasn't available during these dates but I guess the webform just goes straight to trash. My Office is Montréal

paulvoyer

Mar 10, 2017
I guess I am the live answer ,, I have this situation last year ,, I arrive late on my test day which was on 03/13/2017 ,, and I waited till July 2017 to see if there will be any thing ,, but unfortunately they never get back to me ,, even thu my application completed from security prospective as well as from criminality prospective still ,, the other way to shake this silent was , I decided to withdraw and reapply ,, so i withdraw on july 16th and reapply on august 16th now I did my oath on 04/25/2018 and I am done on my second application ,, may be they took long time because my office is Montreal ,, and normally Montreal Office is so slow ,, maybe !! ,, but i felt i will be waiting for no valid reason ,, eventually you gonna have it but when ??? this is the question ,, if you dont care about time ,, you will be invited for re-schedule for sure ,, but if you are a bit hurry !!!! ,, or maybe i had a bad luck in re-scheduling my test

Pasi

Champion Member
Sep 24, 2009
Toronto
Unfortunately I cannot move it otherwise I wouldn't be contemplating the idea of rescheduling, I'll have to attend conferences for work in California, everything is already paid for and cost thousands of dollars to my company. I even wrote an email to IRCC to let them know I wasn't available during these dates but I guess the webform just goes straight to trash. My Office is Montréal
Problem about rescheduling is the indefinite wait time. You have no idea when they will call you. As mentioned above by another Montreal applicant, you may end up withdrawing and re-applying. One of my friend's friend has to reschedule their oath in Scarborough and they waited almost 6 to 7 months and nothing came. So they went to the MP office and then something was done to get an oath for them. Now they are citizens. What they should have got in August 2017, they got it in April 2018.

J Flo

Sep 12, 2018
Dealing with this bureaucracy makes you feel exactly how they see you: totally unimportant and just a way to generate revenue for the government. It doesn't matter what rationales you provide to them, you are at their mercy. I applied for a rushed citizenship because I wanted to run for local council and needed to be a citizen to do so. They gave no attention to that and processed my application just like all the other applicants, so i missed the deadline to apply to run. I went for my citizenship test shortly after having major abdominal surgery, my husband was with me to help me sit/stand/walk. They sent him out of the office with all the other people who had accompanied other applicants and would not let him stay with me to help me. If you really want your citizenship, you need to do exactly as they say. If you have plans you need to break them.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Dealing with this bureaucracy makes you feel exactly how they see you: totally unimportant and just a way to generate revenue for the government. It doesn't matter what rationales you provide to them, you are at their mercy. I applied for a rushed citizenship because I wanted to run for local council and needed to be a citizen to do so. They gave no attention to that and processed my application just like all the other applicants, so i missed the deadline to apply to run. I went for my citizenship test shortly after having major abdominal surgery, my husband was with me to help me sit/stand/walk. They sent him out of the office with all the other people who had accompanied other applicants and would not let him stay with me to help me. If you really want your citizenship, you need to do exactly as they say. If you have plans you need to break them.
I'm not at all surprised at the rejection of your reasoning for expedited processing. Likewise with the refusal to allow him to sit in during your test.

Reactions: EstherBarros

aashamsi

Jan 9, 2013
Canada
We have oath ceremony on Dec 13 (for 3 family members), due to a family emergency I have to travel out of the country before the ceremony and have to reschedule it.

Is it possible to just reschedule for myself and let other family members proceed with Oath ceremony as scheduled?

J Flo

Sep 12, 2018
I'm not at all surprised at the rejection of your reasoning for expedited processing. Likewise with the refusal to allow him to sit in during your test.
ZARDOS, it wasn't to sit with me in test, I didn't have to do the test, it was just a document check and I needed him to help me walk/sit/stand, I didn't want to reschedule even though I'd just had a major surgery a week before, because I know that they take forever to book you in again. For anyone who's thinking of rescheduling, only do it if you have no choice - getting your citizenship isn't a small thing, it should be one of the most important things you do,ever, so it should be your first priority.

J Flo

Sep 12, 2018
We have oath ceremony on Dec 13 (for 3 family members), due to a family emergency I have to travel out of the country before the ceremony and have to reschedule it.

Is it possible to just reschedule for myself and let other family members proceed with Oath ceremony as scheduled?

I would definitely let the other's go ahead - your next appointment will most likely be delayed for many months, some cases over a year.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
ZARDOS, it wasn't to sit with me in test, I didn't have to do the test, it was just a document check and I needed him to help me walk/sit/stand, I didn't want to reschedule even though I'd just had a major surgery a week before, because I know that they take forever to book you in again. For anyone who's thinking of rescheduling, only do it if you have no choice - getting your citizenship isn't a small thing, it should be one of the most important things you do,ever, so it should be your first priority.
Your previous post was misleading in that case. You clearly stated the following :
I went for my citizenship test shortly after having major abdominal surgery, my husband was with me to help me sit/stand/walk. They sent him out of the office with all the other people who had accompanied other applicants and would not let him stay with me to help me.

J Flo

Sep 12, 2018
I'm sorry that you are mislead, but you're also missing the point - whether or not i had to take the test when I went for my appointment isn't the subject, it's just irrelevant context - the point I was making is that government agencies have very poor customer service and treat everyone without any kind of compassion - your personal circumstances don't matter to them, I hope this has made my comment easier for you to understand.

FloydCan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2017
The reason why I always say that unless it's a medical emergency then oath (or test) should never be re-scheduled. even if it means you have to sacrifice thousands of dollars. It would be a small price to pay for something so utterly important for the rest of your life.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013

It can take some time to reschedule (a few months). But if you are not in a rush to get citizenship, just reschedule. I know some people who rescheduled and eventually got it

homecanada

Star Member
Jun 1, 2013
Sorry to hear about your surgery and assuming you were not on wheelchair when you went for test, CIC officials will not look at it as a requirement to have someone by your side due to Privacy reasons...Intention to run for city council is not a reason to rush citizenship application otherwise they will be flooded with such intention based applications....Providing and processing Citizenship is not a matter of bureaucracy.. it is also about doing the right things to ensure it is given at the right time to right people after due diligence...and at times, we are not able to see the process at every step.