+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requirements for SIN and CEC

Jul 30, 2009
Hi,

I’m an international student just graduated from UofT, and going to pursue master degree at the same university. During the master program, I’m going to work as RA in return of stipend, probably start in September 2009. My questions are :

1) Although “working in campus” doesn’t need to apply work permit, I still need to apply SIN for tax purpose. Is this correct ?

2) Without Work Permit, am I eligible to apply for SIN card ?

3) I plan to apply PR under CEC category but I had no work experience before. So I have to wait until I get 1 year work experience as RA*, probably in October 2010 then start to submit application . Is this correct ?

* RA is item 4122 in the NOC list.

4) Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know about the SIN, I suggest you go down to Service Canada near you and have a chat with them, but according to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/graduates.asp you can not count work experience towards CEC that is gained during your studies.

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
1) Yes you need to apply for SIN, until you have SIN your employer cannot pay you (even though it is on-campus).

2) Yes, you are eligible to apply for SIN without work permit.

3) To apply under CEC you need to have 1 yr. experience with a post-graduate work permit or closed work permit (any work done under co-op or RA won't qualify).