+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requirements for 6yr old kid to accompany mother applying for study permit

vmsgone

Feb 15, 2016
Hi all
I am applying for the study permit to Canada. Got admission in the University of Regina. However my only son is 6yrs old holding an American passport is to accompany me to Canada. Me and my husband are Indian citizens living in Trinidad and Tobago(with PR). Can someone clarify if I need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa/study permit for my son? Now he is in first year kindergarten.

I get conflicting information from the CIC website and the checklist. Here is what it says...

GOV OF CANADA WEBSITE:
"Minor children at the pre-school and kindergarten levels are not required to hold a valid study permit"
"If the child is with a parent who is a temporary resident and has a study or work permit----Study permit not required"

APPLICATION FOR A STUDY PERMIT – CHECKLIST
"Open study permit for accompanying children aged 6-18 years old complete an application for a study permit"

hansel

Apr 5, 2016
hello. I am also in the same situation. please how did you go about it. am about to apply for my 6yrs old son.
thanks

Abbas1

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
You can fill in a study permit application form along with application fees, and submit it to visa office.

You can request a study permit for 6 year old kid, without any problems

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
docsazm said:
Hello,
I have the kids..5 yr and 8 yr...
I should apply study permit or TRV ?
Plz guide
depends if you are wanting to study in college or just visit and not study I guess

docsazm

Star Member
May 11, 2016
Bs65 said:
depends if you are wanting to study in college or just visit and not study I guess
Surely ,for study.... I got admit in uni...
But confused abut kids forms?
Guide plz

Peta

May 10, 2016
I think it's a TRV. I have two sons and while trying to submit an application online they asked for the schools they were accepted in (study permit route). They are 2 & 4yrs and weren't accepted in any school. I had to stop the application.

Ndii

Apr 8, 2018
Hello,
I have the kids..5 yr and 8 yr...
I should apply study permit or TRV ?
Plz guide
Hello
Please can you help
I applied with kids and was refused on purpose of visit
Tie to home country and canada
Travel history
What can i include to convince the VO