+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requesting suggestions about my situation...

CECnovguy

Star Member
Nov 20, 2013
Hi guys,

I am a Nov 2013 Applicant. ECAS status is 'Decison Made'.
I am having a situation wherein i need to travel back to my home country(India) for 4-6 months.
I received PPR Sep 26 and sent my PP which reached CIC Sep 30. I am still waiting for return tracker to get activated and its been 20 days already.
(Should I be worried?)

I would need some suggestions on the next steps. So requesting the forum members to share your thoughts.

I have to travel back next month around Nov 15. If I do my landing i will not be here to get my PR card as currently this takes 45 days to 90 days.
In this case can i change my address and have it sent to one of my friends here in Canada? and then they can send it via courier to me in India. I am not sure if this
is even right legally.

Second option is that I do my landing when i actually get back to Toronto in 2015. But this would put me in a tight spot as i must complete my landing by July 2015 as the COPR is valid only 1 year from the medicals date.I am just wondering if things don't go as expected i might lose my PR all together if i don't return by July 2015.

So please let me know your thoughts on what would be the best approach here. Thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
CECnovguy said:
In this case can i change my address and have it sent to one of my friends here in Canada? and then they can send it via courier to me in India. I am not sure if this
is even right legally.

Yes, this is legal, you have to be sure that when you land, you give the VO the correct address to send the PR card. This is probably your best option. Schedule might be tight, but I believe you should have your passport back in time...

Second option is that I do my landing when i actually get back to Toronto in 2015. But this would put me in a tight spot as i must complete my landing by July 2015 as the COPR is valid only 1 year from the medicals date.I am just wondering if things don't go as expected i might lose my PR all together if i don't return by July 2015.

This would probably be the validity date, but you have to check it when you receive the COPR. Unless you can plan for a quick trip just to land (expensive), then you are right, this might create some risk to your PR...

CECnovguy

Star Member
Nov 20, 2013
Thanks Jes_ON, so landing right away is the way to go. I read up on a couple more posts in forums and looks like some people land in Canada, give the address of a friend or relative and have it mailed back to their country. But i guess its not recommended by CIC and would just be something frowned upon. Anyway i don't have a choice but to do this. i just have to face a lot more questions from the VO when i return to Canada in the future. I just hope they send back the passport with the COPR soon so that i get my landing done.

MBACanada

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CECnovguy said:
Hi guys,

I am a Nov 2013 Applicant. ECAS status is 'Decison Made'.
I am having a situation wherein i need to travel back to my home country(India) for 4-6 months.
I received PPR Sep 26 and sent my PP which reached CIC Sep 30. I am still waiting for return tracker to get activated and its been 20 days already.
(Should I be worried?)

I would need some suggestions on the next steps. So requesting the forum members to share your thoughts.

I have to travel back next month around Nov 15. If I do my landing i will not be here to get my PR card as currently this takes 45 days to 90 days.
is even right legally.

So please let me know your thoughts on what would be the best approach here. Thanks!
Just out of curiosity
If you are getting a CoPR - Why have you sent the passport to CIC?
You should be from a Visa Exempt country right?

CECnovguy

Star Member
Nov 20, 2013
MBACanada said:
Just out of curiosity
If you are getting a CoPR - Why have you sent the passport to CIC?
You should be from a Visa Exempt country right?
Hey there, COPR is the document provided by CIC to PR Applicants. They return the passsport along with the COPR. No, I am not from a VISA exempt country - see the below description from the CIC website
"When an immigrant is approved for permanent residence in Canada, they receive a Confirmation of Permanent Residence document. An immigration officer at the port of entry or a CIC office signs and dates this document when permanent residence is finally granted. This document is used by permanent residents to show to provincial and territorial organizations in order to access services."