+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requesting CAIPS Notes

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
Has anyone here ever had requested CAIPS Notes??? How long does it take? Does it effect your the Immigration Process? Is it even worth to order CAIPS Notes? Does it help to find out what really is the status of the application? Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Canuky

Star Member
Sep 23, 2010
wes786 said:
Has anyone here ever had requested CAIPS Notes??? How long does it take? Does it effect your the Immigration Process? Is it even worth to order CAIPS Notes? Does it help to find out what really is the status of the application? Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
It takes about 30-days from when they receive your application, and you will need your spouse's consent to obtain the notes. No, it does not affect the immigration process, its just merely pulling your sponsorship application from CIC main computer server in Ottawa. Its worth ordering one if you have the time to review it and know where you stand. Yes, you can get info on your status.

You can order a copy by emailing or phoning Erin of CIC-Ottawa
Erin.Seeds@cic.gc.ca
Telephone | Téléphone 613-952-3939

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
Canuky said:
It takes about 30-days from when they receive your application, and you will need your spouse's consent to obtain the notes. No, it does not affect the immigration process, its just merely pulling your sponsorship application from CIC main computer server in Ottawa. Its worth ordering one if you have the time to review it and know where you stand. Yes, you can get info on your status.

You can order a copy by emailing or phoning Erin of CIC-Ottawa
Erin.Seeds @ cic.gc.ca
Telephone | Téléphone 613-952-3939
Thanks Canuky for your reply, You said I can order it on the phone. Does that mean I won't have to send any consent or any request form? And what if I mail out the request form, would a photocopy of "use of representative" form be enough as a consent that my wife filled out with the original application??? Thanks in advance for your help.

Canuky

Star Member
Sep 23, 2010
You will have to email or phone Erin that you want a CAIPS note and she will walk you through the process. She will send you an application form and a consent form. You need to fill these forms and return back to her with a cheque of $5 processing fee. Just send her an email, she is very nice and will help you out.

javcil

Star Member
Mar 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/01/2010
AOR Received.
01/03/2010
File Transfer...
04/02/2010
Med's Done....
11/12/2009
Interview........
21/04/2010
Passport Req..
21/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
22/04/2010
LANDED..........
16/07/2010
You can also just print the form online and mail it directly:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5563B.pdf

Mailing address:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator
Narono Building
360 Laurier Avenue West, 10th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1
Canada

Check out the link fmi:
http://immigrationguides.com/content/view/207/110/

Or you can fax all the papers to CIC at 1-613-957-6517

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CAIPS will only be issued to you if you are living in Canada. Otherwise, you have to have them released to someone living in Canada. For that, you need to ensure you sign and submit the proper authorizations.

CAIPS request form is at the link javcil provided.

"Authority to Release Personal Information" http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5475E.pdf form. Include it with the "Access to Information Request" form.

Send both of these forms and a cheque for $5 payable to the Receiver General of Canada to:

Narono Building
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
Thankyou all for the help. Yeah I am a canadian citizen and these notes are for my wife who I have sponsored.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wes786 said:
Thankyou all for the help. Yeah I am a canadian citizen and these notes are for my wife who I have sponsored.
So since she is the Applicant, it is her file you want to access. She needs to sign the Authority to Release Personal information form letting you have access to her file.

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
rjessome said:
So since she is the Applicant, it is her file you want to access. She needs to sign the Authority to Release Personal information form letting you have access to her file.
What if she has already signed him as a Representative by filling out the form "Use of a Representative" with their initial application. According to that form, if signed, the representative can address to CIC on applicant's behalf.

If that is the case, i don't think wes786 needs the consent form from his wife.

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
Use of a Representative form allow a representative to conduct business on applicant behalf with CIC Canada and CBSA

It also authorize CIC and CBSA to release information from applicant's case file to the representative. This authorization is in accordance with the privacy act.

So if your wife has signed you as a representative already. You should have access to her file under the Privacy Act. May be others can enlighten on this.

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
I called Erin to make sure if a copy of ``use of representative`` form is good enough as a consent or not, she said a copy of the that form is good enough.

ljane79

Star Member
Oct 1, 2009
Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2010
AOR Received.
09-06-2010
Med's Request
Sent with entire application Miss.
Med's Done....
09-10-2009
Interview........
Waived July 23, 2010
Passport Req..
October 8, 2010 Mailed it October 8, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
October 15, 2010 Received in mail Oct 19, 2010
LANDED..........
Driving to the border on Friday!!!
My dialog about the CAIPS notes
Erin.Seeds@cic.gc.ca

Dear Erin Seeds,
I am writing to order a CAIPS notes for my case. The form is attached.
Sincerely,
xxxx

Dear Mrs. XXXX, I have a couple of concerns with the personal information request you sent me;

First, only persons physically present in Canda, Permanent Residents and Canadian Citizens may access their records under the Privacy Act. Please show proof of which of these categories you belong to. If you are not any of the above, your spouse will have to apply under the Access to Information Act and pay the $5 fee. Please let me know whether you will proceed under Access or Privacy and I will give you the appropriate file number.

Second, we need a signed letter giving your consent to your husband to have access to your records. I've attached a form that you can fill out to this end. At this time, we must have a physical signature, so your e-mail will not suffice, however, a simple letter stating you give your husband consent to access your records with the date and your signature scanned and returned to me will do just fine.

Erin.Seeds@cic.gc.ca

Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

Dear Erin Seeds,
Sorry for the mix up. I was a little confused as to how to fill out the form. I am in Canada visiting my husband right now, but I'm not yet a permanent resident. Does that count present in Canada? If not I will mail the consent form and the $5 fee tomorrow. Can I send a personal check or does it need to be from a bank? What address do I send this information/check to?
xxxx,

Dear Mrs. xxxx,
Yes, if you are in Canada, you can use the Privacy Act and not pay the $5. The catch is, we need some sort of proof that you're in Canada right now (Unfortunately, tracking the IP in your e-mail will not suffice). A copy of your passport with the visa stamp on it is acceptable. I still need your letter of consent, because it's technically your husband making the request (his name is on the form). We unfortunately get claims of spousal fraud here, so we do need expressed consent. Please let me know if anything is still unclear. Also, anything to be mailed should be mailed to the address in my signature.

Regards,
Erin Seeds

Sorry to bother you again Ms. Seeds, but could you please tell me if this enquiry will slow down my permanent residency application in any way?
Thank-you,
xxx

Mrs. xxxx,
The name of the person requesting the information is protected under the Privacy Act (though we presume it is being done with the knowledge and consent of the person the files belong to). I can also tell you that the immigration officers almost never retrieve the files, the people responsible for ATIP requests at the department usually just photocopy the file, then return it. I suspect there are also internal policies preventing requests from impeding the immigration process.
Erin Seeds

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
adzees said:
What if she has already signed him as a Representative by filling out the form "Use of a Representative" with their initial application. According to that form, if signed, the representative can address to CIC on applicant's behalf.

If that is the case, i don't think wes786 needs the consent form from his wife.
Yes, one or the other will suffice.

wmaitner

Star Member
Mar 30, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But if you're a Canadian citizen filing for it from within Canada, you don't have to pay the $5 right?

rjessome said:
CAIPS will only be issued to you if you are living in Canada. Otherwise, you have to have them released to someone living in Canada. For that, you need to ensure you sign and submit the proper authorizations.

CAIPS request form is at the link javcil provided.

"Authority to Release Personal Information" http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5475E.pdf form. Include it with the "Access to Information Request" form.

Send both of these forms and a cheque for $5 payable to the Receiver General of Canada to:

Narono Building
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1

Canuky

Star Member
Sep 23, 2010
Its the other way around, if its your file that is in process, you are neither a Canadian citizen or PR, and you are in Canada, then you don't pay the $5.