+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requesting CAIPs notes.

P.C.

Mar 20, 2009
On form IMM5563B to request CAIPs notes, they ask for:
"Visa File No.", not ClientID. Is this the same thing?

If not, where is this number? I don't remember it on the sponsorship acceptance letter.

Thanks in advance.

EDITED TO ADD...

OK, I'm totally lost.
I'm the sponsor in Canada, my wife's outland PR app is at London UK. She is living with me here in Canada.
1. Who is the requester? Myself, or her (I'm a citizen)
2. Should I check the CAIPS box, (first one), or the PR application box.
3. If I should check the CAIPs box, where do I get the Visa File No.?
4. If I check the PR app. box, will I just get the CAIPs notes? (That's all I want)

Emmy

Star Member
Jun 27, 2008
Hi,

We've just gone through this ourselves, so I'll try to answer your questions:

1. You'll need to request the CAIPS notes as she isn't a PR or citizen.
2. Check the CAIPS notes box and fill in the Embassy box next to it (put London, UK)
3. In the Visa File number write Unknown or that London never sent it to you. Something like that, and they'll try to find her notes using her name and DOB etc.
4. Don't check the PR box.

Basically, the Client ID sent with the sponsorship approval letter is YOUR Client ID. To get the CAIPS notes, they need HER file number. From what I understand, once a local visa office receives the forwarded PR application, they should send out an Acknowledgement of Receipt letter, which would include the file number. But apparently not all offices bother, and unfortunately it seems London don't bother.

And one very important point - you also need to include a consent form from your wife giving you permission to order her CAIPS notes. You can find the consent form on this page: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/release-info.asp

She should fill this out and sign it (you shouldn't sign it even though there's a space for spouse/partner to sign).

Then on the Access to Information form:
- you put her name and DOB in the section at the top of the form.
- You check the box on the left under Access To Information Act ($5.00 fee) which says Receive copies of the records
- You check the CAIPS notes box on the next section and specify the embassy, and that the file number is unknown.
- In the bottom section you fill out YOUR name and contact details etc and check the box, as you are requesting it on your wife's behalf.
- You sign it and mail it in with the consent form and a cheque for $5 made payable to the Receiver General for Canada.

The address to send it to is:

Public Rights Administration
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Narono Building
360 Laurier Avenue West, 10th floor
Ottawa, ON
K1A 1L1

Hope this helps.

P.C.

Mar 20, 2009
Thanks for your help. It is appreciated!

I think I'll save $5 though and apply under the privacy act.
As well, it seems since she is a "an individual present in Canada" with an address here, she can request them.

So much contrary info...

Anyway, thanks Emmy. At least I know I can request them for sure, and just add the consent form.

Cheers

genio

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
Hi forum...I have thought that soon ( as it has been 8 months now), I would like to obtain Caips notes to see if there are any indicators of progress.I am sponsoring my wife in Colombia for PR. As for her consent,not sure what to do. I guess she could print the gov't. consent form, sign it, fax it to me, I fill out forms and then? From reading others on here, I thought one had to use the services of some outside agency ( for about $60-100 if code desierd) to act on our behalf for obtaining gov't notes..It seems? One can just have signed consent forms, and directly ask gov't in canada for CAIPS notes? TY, I know this is probably simple but,,lots of great advise here

Emmy

Star Member
Jun 27, 2008
Genio,

If you are in Canada you can use the request form along with the consent form (and a cheque for $5) to request the CAIPS notes for her. People use agencies usually because they don't know anyone in Canada who can order the notes for them.

P.C.,

I was under the impression you needed to be a citzen or PR, but I can see what you mean by looking at the form where it says "an individual present in Canada". So you might as well save yourself the $5.

genio

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
At the top of "Access to information and personal information request"...It has spaces for "Requester's reference no." I am not sure if that would be my Client # for sponsorship,or "Kit ID#"..or something else. Next to that area , it asks "ATIP file number"..again, would that be my Client ID #?...............One other question...what is the difference..Request for "CAIPS (information abroad) or Overseas visa file (CAIPS included)? thanx again for clarification. Great to see people helping each other through one of life's greatest events for all of us.

Emmy

Star Member
Jun 27, 2008
I just left those top two fields blank. I don't think you need to fill them in.

As for the two options:

The first one - CAIPS (Information Abroad) - will get you a printout from the computer system which they use to process/record info on your case. They can get this from the computer system in Canada, and won't need to contact the foreign visa office where your application is being processed.

The second one - Overseas visa file - will get you your CAIPS notes but they'll also contact the foreign visa office where your file is being processed and get them to photocopy your entire file and mail it to you. This will take a lot longer and generally from what I've read people don't recommend that you do this (some people seem to suggest that by pulling your file out to photocopy it, it goes to the back of the queue for processing...not sure if this is true or not).

Your CAIPS notes should be enough though, at least the first time, if you're just after some basic info on what's holding up your case.

medellinguy

Jul 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2010
Doc's Request.
Everything in order I guess
AOR Received.
07-04-2011
File Transfer...
03-12-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Passport Req..
07-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2011
LANDED..........
07-09-2011
Emmy said:
Hi,

We've just gone through this ourselves, so I'll try to answer your questions:

1. You'll need to request the CAIPS notes as she isn't a PR or citizen.
2. Check the CAIPS notes box and fill in the Embassy box next to it (put London, UK)
3. In the Visa File number write Unknown or that London never sent it to you. Something like that, and they'll try to find her notes using her name and DOB etc.
4. Don't check the PR box.

Basically, the Client ID sent with the sponsorship approval letter is YOUR Client ID. To get the CAIPS notes, they need HER file number. From what I understand, once a local visa office receives the forwarded PR application, they should send out an Acknowledgement of Receipt letter, which would include the file number. But apparently not all offices bother, and unfortunately it seems London don't bother.

And one very important point - you also need to include a consent form from your wife giving you permission to order her CAIPS notes. You can find the consent form on this page: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/release-info.asp

She should fill this out and sign it (you shouldn't sign it even though there's a space for spouse/partner to sign).
what if I did sign there?? big problem? won't they send me her caips note?

brin

Nov 24, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 17-2011
Doc's Request.
Apr 10-2011
AOR Received.
Mar 24-2011
File Transfer...
Mar 21-2011
Interview........
June-28-2011
Passport Req..
Apr-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
July-05-2011
LANDED..........
ETA: Aug-05-2011
Here is an email I got from CIC with details of ordering CAIPS.
Hope it helps.

"Good afternoon. You will find the 2 forms for your request. On IMM5563 - need name and surname of husband - the date fo birth- location of embassy and visa file number. Indicate what king of document you need. As you are the requester you fill this part. Your name -address - tel #; signature and date; very important. Your husband have to sign the consent form with all information and his signature and date - very important. Also important A $5.00 cheque or money made to Receiver General for Canada".

david26

Star Member
May 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Already here
brin said:
Here is an email I got from CIC with details of ordering CAIPS.
Hope it helps.

"Good afternoon. You will find the 2 forms for your request. On IMM5563 - need name and surname of husband - the date fo birth- location of embassy and visa file number. Indicate what king of document you need. As you are the requester you fill this part. Your name -address - tel #; signature and date; very important. Your husband have to sign the consent form with all information and his signature and date - very important. Also important A $5.00 cheque or money made to Receiver General for Canada".
oh we just wrote a normal consent letter on piece of paper and i signed it and the requester is my wife because she is canadian citizen but we did not sent any money with it ,Is it OK?oh i really dont know if we did it right .my wife wrote down her name and address in the space for requester and she signed it.oh we did send the copy of her passport with it.let me know if did it wrong?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Commenting mostly to get this thread listed in my profile, but did anyone receive their notes? How long did it take and was it helpful?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Emmy said:
I was under the impression you needed to be a citzen or PR, but I can see what you mean by looking at the form where it says "an individual present in Canada". So you might as well save yourself the $5.
You do not have to be a citizen or PR, just being in Canada legally is good enough (they can check this status easily).
I hear rumours that the free requests have a backlog, whereas the $5 do not..... I have no solid facts on this at present.

absentgodot

Jul 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Another question for those who have received their CAIPS or FOSS notes: Do they send a copy of your original application form included?
I was very thorough about photocopying forms, receipts, photos, etc etc but my one dumb move was forgetting to photocopy the actual application itself, after I had filled it out. *D'oh!* :eek:

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
absentgodot said:
Another question for those who have received their CAIPS or FOSS notes: Do they send a copy of your original application form included?
I was very thorough about photocopying forms, receipts, photos, etc etc but my one dumb move was forgetting to photocopy the actual application itself, after I had filled it out. *D'oh!* :eek:
The application forms are not provided normally.
You can order the whole file, but it takes a very long time to arrive.

absentgodot

Jul 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the reply, Baloo. I just sent off for my FOSS notes, do you know how long they normally take to arrive?