+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request for Passport submission

sbhutani

May 23, 2013
I am a Canadian Permanent Resident and have applied for a spousal visa for my wife who is currently in Canada with me on a Visitor Visa.

Our file got transferred to the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi, we are now expecting a passport request in the next few days and my question for you is :

1) Does she have to return to India to submit her passport?
2) Does delay in passport submission delay the process as well?
3) Is there any other alternative like authorizing a family member in India to submit the passport on her behalf? We do understand that we cannot courier her passport to India as the laws in India do not allow shipment of passports.However my relative is leaving for India in 10 days, Is it OK for him to carry her passport and hand it over to her parents who can then submit it forward.

UsCa

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
sbhutani said:
I am a Canadian Permanent Resident and have applied for a spousal visa for my wife who is currently in Canada with me on a Visitor Visa.

Our file got transferred to the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi, we are now expecting a passport request in the next few days and my question for you is :

1) Does she have to return to India to submit her passport?
2) Does delay in passport submission delay the process as well?
3) Is there any other alternative like authorizing a family member in India to submit the passport on her behalf? We do understand that we cannot courier her passport to India as the laws in India do not allow shipment of passports.However my relative is leaving for India in 10 days, Is it OK for him to carry her passport and hand it over to her parents who can then submit it forward.
Your relative can take her passport to India and submit it (i think thats by mail you have to submit)
But I hope you know unlike other VO, ND VO asks for passport at very early stage (probably when they started looking at your file) and I have seen people waiting for their passports to be back to them for like 9 months..
So, your wife will be in Canada without a passport ..
how long her visitor visa is for ?

and then when she gets her passport back with visa. how will she be able to get her passport in canada ?

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Technically its not Ok for anyone to carry when it comes to overseas but its a grey area. The back of the passport says its ok with authorization letter but they mean is within India but not clear about it. Relative is your best bet but take copy of each and every page.
I had similar situation where I flew to India for 5 days to drop parents passports. Some people have couriered it too and have been successful but its a major risk but if u have relative then nothing like it.

PS- At what stage is your app? Did you get PCC and Meds done?

sbhutani

May 23, 2013
Thank U for ur responses....

We have just applied for her Visitor Visa Extension till October 2013. Not sure but maybe we can apply for another extension if we don't get her spouse visa till then.

PCC and Medicals were submitted with the application on 10th April 2013.