+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request for passport even though I'm from a visa exempt country

CS100

Feb 17, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I am an American citizen living in Vietnam (I'm not a resident of Vietnam - I just have a temporary visa associated with my work permit). On April 25th I got a DM on my application for sponsorship into Canada (Family Class Sponsorship - common law partner - outland application).

Today I received an email requesting my passport to be sent to the High Commission of Canada in Singapore. The instructions in the email are specific for residents of Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc. It seems like this might be a mistake since I am not a resident of Vietnam, and the USA is a visa exempt country. We are following up with CPC, but I was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation? I am hesitant to send my passport because 1) it's costly and may not be necessary, and 2) I've made travel plans within Vietnam that I would have to cancel if I don't have my passport for a month, which would also be very costly.

Please let me know if anyone else has had this experience, and how you proceeded. Thank you in advance for your input!

Coldstream63

Star Member
Sep 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2014
AOR Received.
Sponsor 07-03-2015, Applicant 30-03-2015
File Transfer...
13-04-2015
Med's Done....
Received 30-12-2014
Interview........
Not Required
VISA ISSUED...
07-10-2015
LANDED..........
Flight booked for 11-11-2015
I'm not in your shoes, but that is really odd. As you said, coming from a Visa-Exempt country, it doesn't make sense.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As it's already been 3 weeks since DM and they are now asking for your passport when it isn't required, I would have your Canadian sponsor contact their MP to submit an inquiry ASAP. MPs are usually able to get a response to these kinds of situations faster than applicants.

AJ3000

Jul 8, 2013
We tried and we were told to just follow CIC's instructions. But it's Victoria Day, so we are going to call them Tuesday morning. We hope to receive an email response from the VO as well by then.