+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Report Illegal Immigrant

Medvedev

Nov 21, 2009
lol! I'd just like to understand his motivation for 'snitching' and I'll bet it isn't for 100% 'honourable' reasons ;)
After all, there is a Woman at the center of this story :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ontario will let visitors get a DL but some others like Alberta require you to be legally residing there on a longer visa.

A visitor can open a bank account with a passport as ID. You don't need a SIN.

A visitor is allowed to buy a house but I believe if you are not a PR, you can not get a higher mortgage than 75%

Karlshammar said:
They can open a bank account. Don't know about houses. I think driver's licences vary from province to province. I got my Ontario DL while still a visitor and while they may have verified my status, they didn't ask me about it, so I assume an illegal might slink by.

toby said:
Can an illegal alien get a driver's licence, open a bank account, buy a house?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hahaha! Probably not, but to be honest, I think it's always preferable that people report crimes no matter what their motivation is. The police/CBSA will take the proper actions, and they won't care about the reporting persons personal issues.

Medvedev said:
lol! I'd just like to understand his motivation for 'snitching' and I'll bet it isn't for 100% 'honourable' reasons ;)
After all, there is a Woman at the center of this story :)

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
toby said:
when I was opening a bank account in Canada, first I was asked for my passport and they checked my visa in it, so I don't think it's possible to open a bank account in Canada being illegal.

as for a driving licence it was exactly the same - they never started my G1 test until checked my passport all the way around and made copies of it.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hmm, they didn't check my status for either here in Ontario. What province are you in, Suin?

colsy

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
I am somewhat divided on this post. I agree in a sense with one of the comments about the "Motivation" behind reporting this guy. I also feel your motives are not centered.

On the other hand, what happens if an "illegal" immigrant raped, murdered or maimed someone else and you knew he was not entitled to be in the country and done nothing about it.

Also if you want to be a model citizen, do not stop there. There is hundreds if not thousands of thing you can do additionally to assist your country.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Suin said:
toby said:
when I was opening a bank account in Canada, first I was asked for my passport and they checked my visa in it, so I don't think it's possible to open a bank account in Canada being illegal.

as for a driving licence it was exactly the same - they never started my G1 test until checked my passport all the way around and made copies of it.
You can open an account within the 6 months validity of your visitor visa and it is a non-interest earning account you are opening, otherwise you'll have to provide your SIN.

Medvedev

Nov 21, 2009
Believe me.... I'm not a supporter of Illegals. Especially with all the work I've been doing to get my wife to Canada Legally!!

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
Karlshammar said:
Hmm, they didn't check my status for either here in Ontario. What province are you in, Suin?
I am in Ontario too. Maybe it depends on the bank policy? It was TD bank.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
job_seeker said:
You can open an account within the 6 months validity of your visitor visa and it is a non-interest earning account you are opening, otherwise you'll have to provide your SIN.
they didn't put any limits to my account, and mentioned that I can use it only as debit until I get my SIN.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
related to illegal immigrant report - what's the point of making somebody's life miserable if that person didn't do anything bad to you? just imagine the way you'd feel being on his place.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Firstly, just because someone has bragged that he is in Canada illegally it does not necessarily mean he is. It could be bravado. Also, if this guy is married to a Canadian, they may have an application in process - even without legal status. He may also have an extension to remain which the OP does not know about.

Regardless, if one has knowledge that someone is in Canada illegally, it is your DUTY to report. The CBSA will investigate and take appropriate action. Anyone operating under the radar is a risk to Canadians and PR's alike.

Another suggestion to the OP: perhaps you could persuade/advise the UK citizen or (your friend the Canadian?) that if he wishes to remain that he should submit an application and try to remain on the right side of the law? It's a more gracious option - it may be that they do not fully understand the system.

Just my 2 cents.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Perhaps. I'm with PC Financial. I even applied for a line of credit. The program first said I couldn't have it as I was a non-resident, so he called their IT support centre, and they said it was reacting to the temporary SIN and to just take it off. They took it off the application as it's not mandatory, and POOF! Line of credit. :)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Karlshammar said:
Perhaps. I'm with PC Financial. I even applied for a line of credit. The program first said I couldn't have it as I was a non-resident, so he called their IT support centre, and they said it was reacting to the temporary SIN and to just take it off. They took it off the application as it's not mandatory, and POOF! Line of credit. :)
Does this mean we're better off not providing our temporary SIN when dealing with the banks? (off topic, sorry)

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
colsy said:
Also if you want to be a model citizen, do not stop there. There is hundreds if not thousands of thing you can do additionally to assist your country.
Colsy - i like your answer. There is hundreds if not thousands of things you can do and it can be as simple as being a mentor to a child or visiting a fellow citizen in an old age home, or picking up garbage, etc, etc. When I look at some of the students in my university, it is really great. They do so much voluntary stuff that improves the community, city and country.