+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Repatriating to Canada: Goods to follow

nickCR

Feb 28, 2020
Hello All,

I'm a Canadian Citizen that's been living in Costa Rica for 18 years and I've decided to return to Canada with my family.

My wife is Colombian and has a multi entry visa to Canada.

We will tell CBSA the truth, that I am moving back to Canada and my family is coming with me and we'll be submitting a PR application for my wife once we land. Covid has made us make a move back to Canada sooner than anticipated, not giving us a chance to apply outland. Since the rules changed mid June, she is eligible to travel with me.

My kids are both Canadian Citizens.

We are going to be flying next week and hopefully I can evacuate some doubts about my goods to follow.

We are going to be sending a 20ft container with some of our furniture, house-hold items and personal effects. We already have a list of all the items that will be in the container. I also read that we should fill out the BSF186 form before we go.

On the BSF186 form it has a specific place to add items. Seems you can add as many as you need, but if we list the individual items it's going to be hundreds. I was reading a guide on here about the B4 form which is very similar (maybe the old one). It says to categorize things and group things together in 8 lists or so. Should we list everything or just the primary groupings of products and their totals?

If grouped, what is the price point that merits an item to be listed by itself?

We will not be bringing things in multiple shipments. Everything we are importing will be in that container. We really won't have many goods except clothing and some electronics accompanying us on the flight.

Also some of the stuff is my wife's hobby stuff like beads and materials to make simple jewelry. She does sell the stuff she makes but for like $5, $10 or so.

Is there any issue if I put this stuff on the import as hobby supplies?

Are there any repatriated Canadians on here whom sent their belongings via container when returning to Canada? The container will land in Port of Vancouver. What is the procedure and how can I minimize the cost of port fees / thc and be as efficient as possible?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

majorfig

May 2, 2020
Hello All,

I'm a Canadian Citizen that's been living in Costa Rica for 18 years and I've decided to return to Canada with my family.

My wife is Colombian and has a multi entry visa to Canada.

We will tell CBSA the truth, that I am moving back to Canada and my family is coming with me and we'll be submitting a PR application for my wife once we land. Covid has made us make a move back to Canada sooner than anticipated, not giving us a chance to apply outland. Since the rules changed mid June, she is eligible to travel with me.

My kids are both Canadian Citizens.

We are going to be flying next week and hopefully I can evacuate some doubts about my goods to follow.

We are going to be sending a 20ft container with some of our furniture, house-hold items and personal effects. We already have a list of all the items that will be in the container. I also read that we should fill out the BSF186 form before we go.

On the BSF186 form it has a specific place to add items. Seems you can add as many as you need, but if we list the individual items it's going to be hundreds. I was reading a guide on here about the B4 form which is very similar (maybe the old one). It says to categorize things and group things together in 8 lists or so. Should we list everything or just the primary groupings of products and their totals?

If grouped, what is the price point that merits an item to be listed by itself?

We will not be bringing things in multiple shipments. Everything we are importing will be in that container. We really won't have many goods except clothing and some electronics accompanying us on the flight.

Also some of the stuff is my wife's hobby stuff like beads and materials to make simple jewelry. She does sell the stuff she makes but for like $5, $10 or so.

Is there any issue if I put this stuff on the import as hobby supplies?

Are there any repatriated Canadians on here whom sent their belongings via container when returning to Canada? The container will land in Port of Vancouver. What is the procedure and how can I minimize the cost of port fees / thc and be as efficient as possible?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!
Hi. I noticed no-one responded to you, but I was curious how everything went? My family and I may be doing something similar this year.

Thanks!

lawgrrl

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Nanaimo, B.C.
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
11-14-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-22-2013
We repatriated from Mexico in July 2020. Check with CBSA for the latest info and forms. We completed Form B4 with many attachments. We didn't ship in a container; if you do, your carrier should be able to handle much of the documentation. We packed and shipped back some art, crafts and music gear with FedEx and it went pretty well (not including the one box dropped on its corner and mashed!) You can get more info on what's allowed, etc. here