+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

renting in Vancouver, BC for student

Lovely086

Star Member
Sep 21, 2020
Hi

I am prospective student of Langara college, Vancouver.
Any tips to go for a feasible accommodation?

• type of accommodation?
  • area in Vancouver ?
  • how do I look for my options? trusted website or something?

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I don't think you can get a room for $550 anywhere close to Langara (cambie and W 49th).
May be sharing a room in an old basement suite a bit further away.

Reactions: Naturgrl and k.h.p.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Even with COVID the average rental for a 1 bedroom apartment is around $1500-1800 "near" Vancouver; a 2bd would be north of $2000. As @YVR123 says, you may get an old basement suite shared room for around $550 in a place like Burnaby or Coquitlam.

If I were you, I'd expect to be paying around $800, potentially to around $1,200.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Lovely086

Star Member
Sep 21, 2020
Even with COVID the average rental for a 1 bedroom apartment is around $1500-1800 "near" Vancouver; a 2bd would be north of $2000. As @YVR123 says, you may get an old basement suite shared room for around $550 in a place like Burnaby or Coquitlam.

If I were you, I'd expect to be paying around $800, potentially to around $1,200.
thanks on the input i understood the rent part could you help me with the main points like how n where should i start looking for an apartment?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
thanks on the input i understood the rent part could you help me with the main points like how n where should i start looking for an apartment?
Are you in Vancouver already? It's hard to look for or rent any place when you are not here. (May be except student housing arranged by school)
Specially if the unit is shared, I am sure the other person/people will want to meet you before any agreement is made.

There are online listing for people looking for roommates to share rental houses/apartments. Craigslist , Facebook market place...etc. But watch out for scams.

Reactions: Lovely086

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Are you in Vancouver already? It's hard to look for or rent any place when you are not here. (May be except student housing arranged by school)
Specially if the unit is shared, I am sure the other person/people will want to meet you before any agreement is made.

There are online listing for people looking for roommates to share rental houses/apartments. Craigslist , Facebook market place...etc. But watch out for scams.
Also if arriving soon, you will need to quarantine. You roommates probably aren’t going to want to share bathrooms and a kitchen. Or bring you your food etc. Best to land, quarantine in your own accommodations and look for a place.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also if arriving soon, you will need to quarantine. You roommates probably aren’t going to want to share bathrooms and a kitchen. Or bring you your food etc. Best to land, quarantine in your own accommodations and look for a place.
According to the new federal guidelines you should not be quarantining with someone else who is not quarantining in a small apartment. If sharing a bedroom, likely at that budget, you couldn't quarantine with someone unless they also remained at home for 14 days.

Reactions: Lovely086

Lovely086

Star Member
Sep 21, 2020
thank you so much all for your inputs
got what I was just looking for
now I can plan accordingly everything

if you have more advice from your experiences to share
Please do share here.

Dec 13, 2020
Mainly there are two options for students, on-campus and off-campus.

On-campus accommodations are accommodation are managed by the university or college. Students apartments, dorms and student housing are examples for on-campus accommodations. This usually offers closes location to campus, safest option for newcomers and bit more expensive.
Example of off-campus accommodations is finding private rental accommodation or finding a room for rent. This usually the least expensive option, however, this is your responsibility to inspect, understand your location, tenancy agreement and your rights. Depending on the accommodation you choose this could be furnished or unfurnished. Room for rent in Vancouver
Another alternative is homestay, accommodation, which offers family living style and opportunity to learn the country's culture. Homestay accommodation will usually include meals as well. Some of them do offer airport pick up Homestay in Vancouver
And as always for everything else, watch out for scammers.

Last edited: