+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renting in Toronto

tango

Mar 16, 2009
hello everyone!!

How can a rent a condo or an apartment in Toronto if I don't have a job there yet? I have called several places and on their lease application requires that you have a job. I also do not know anybody there that would co-sign for me. What should I do? Please share your experiences.

Thank you

mahharrouf

Jan 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have you teried some classified website like craiglist or toronto.kijiji.ca ? i found one advertise, it was one room included furnitures etc, the cost was $800 in downtown Toronto, i called and just for checking asked the own, i am immigrant and going to land next saturday( which still is dream, lol), the woman replied me she is getting several of calls and she not sure if room will available antill my arrival, but i can call for reconfirm. She didnt request me any documents or jobs etc, try to find craiglist and kijiji, then give there call, hope you will many places within toronto.

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
downdown toronto, you will get only a single room.. not a flat :)

mahharrouf

Jan 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It was one room only with private toilet. Flat will cost around $1500-$2000, this is what i saw in craiglist and some other classified websites.

tango

Mar 16, 2009
Thanks for the info guys, but I will be moving there with a family of three and a room won’t work. I will keep searching.

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
if u plan to move to toronto withiut a stable job,definitely dont look downtown

loukyapetru

Star Member
Mar 26, 2009
Downtown is little expensive i would suggest u to stay in victoria park its a nice residential peaceful place there are some apartments 30 Denton Ave and Cresent Town just behind the subway rent i guess it would be 800$ .. there is good transportation in canada (subway, buses)
Here is the link for 30 denton to contact
http://www.gottarent.com/apartment/vacancy.phtml?SpaceID=3049
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescent_Town buildings of cresent town
subway link http://www3.ttc.ca/ click on subway/RT .

Once u get off at pearson airport there is 192 bus(take a transit and use that transit for subway) which drops off u at kipling station from there u can take subway

tango said:
hello everyone!!

How can a rent a condo or an apartment in Toronto if I don't have a job there yet? I have called several places and on their lease application requires that you have a job. I also do not know anybody there that would co-sign for me. What should I do? Please share your experiences.

Thank you

Nicholas

Star Member
Aug 6, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is often a problem for new immigrants. If asked for employment details, just say that you are a new immigrant. If you are arriving alone, you could look at shared accomadation. Many years ago when my parents immigrated to Canada we often had immigrant guest stying with us until they found a suitable place and maybe you can find someone on this forum or maybe place an advert in one of the papers. Not the local papers but on Craig's List. I also know many who have stayed in a homestay which are usually for international students. I had one friend who did this in Vancouver. You can search "student homestay Toronto" and I'm sure you'll find something. Try to keep your costs down as much as you can for the first few months and find a better place once you have found a job.

best of luck.