+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on renting an apartment in Toronto

torri

Dec 20, 2005
Ukraine
Hi,
does anybody know if it is difficult to find an apartment for rent in Toronto if you are a newcomer? How long does it normally take? Do landlords allow a family of two to stay in a bachelor?
Thank you.

_Chris

Jan 18, 2007
I live near Toronto and you should have no trouble finding a place. There are always apartments for rent. Some landlords have rules about how many people can stay in a bachelor but some don't. You may have to do a bit more searching to find what you need. Toronto is very multicultural and accepts people from everywhere. Good luck in your search, and welcome!

dwalliz

Jan 30, 2007
I always considered to relocate to Toronto someday, and I am going to see what the average cost of apartments per month for one bedroom. I also heard the cost of living is high than other Canadian cities.

mwan

Star Member
Jul 30, 2006
Check out this site rentersnews.ca then follow links to apartments in greater Toronto area. If you are choosing Toronto because of work, you should consider looking at surrounding cities that may be a little cheaper e.g., Brampton, Missisauga etc. Otherwise life on the outskirts at first then after you settle go looking in Toronto. That's what we did and it worked well. Renters news magazine is a valid one and you can plug in the prices and size of place you need. If considering living in the outskirts consider London, hamiliton, waterloo, kitchener all are mostly 45mins-1hr to toronto and you can use public trans.

torri

Dec 20, 2005
Ukraine
thank you very much for hints. How long does it normally take to find an apartment and is it more difficult for newcomers in terms that we do not have recommendation letters from previous landlords?
Thank you

skp

Mar 7, 2010
Canada
Visa Office......
CHC London
AOR Received.
17-12-2008
File Transfer...
23-12-2008
Med's Request
14-10-2009
Med's Done....
17-11-2009
Hi Everybody,
I have a question here as my daughter is going to migrate to Toronto in month of October 2010. The problem is when you want to rent an apartment ( Studio or 1 or 2 Bedrooms ) the owner is asking for the Guarantor. How is it possible that a person who is newly getting migrated can have a guarantor available ? Please help us and let us know if somebody has a solution on this issue. Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some landlords (especially property management companies) asks for guarantors. You can ask your friend or relative to be the guarantor. Alternatively, you can also check other places which doesn't ask for guarantors. I heard some people paid one year rent in advance to the landlord because they knew nobody.