+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rental in Quebec following FSW/PR

Trish_Harmon

Jun 6, 2019
Hey everyone,

This was originally posted under "Express Entry / Expression of Interest, but maybe it's better to discuss it over here:

I got my CoPR earlier this year (federal skilled worker stream) and will move to Canada soon. I don't have any spouse/family moving with me.

I have a remote job therefore I was not after any city specifically (housing price was a primary concern since I have no one to split with). I found a place in Quebec which was quite affordable. After I've paid the deposit, I came to realize (through many posts) that it might be a problem as I only have a Federal PR but not the CSQ.

According to the forum, it would be OK to land in Toronto or anywhere non-Quebec, and then move to Quebec upon completing the landing interview. Still, I'm worried the fact that I found a place in Quebec PRIOR TO arrival could indicate "intention to live in Quebec" despite that I didn't originally really have any. Will they look into this at some point (for example, when reviewing my citizenship application)?

I'll do the landing in Toronto late July and the rental contract starts Aug 01.

My concerns are:
1). Is landing in Toronto and moving to Quebec 3-5 days post-landing safe as everyone says? A short-term rental before Quebec would be really hard as I'm moving from Europe with my cat and the moving company can't put my stuff on hold for weeks. I don't drive, therefore it's hard to get a car rental to take my stuff from somewhere else. In other words, I have to be at the destination on time so they can deliver my cartons.
2). Do the officers go through rental records when reviewing documents for citizenship applications? Will my rental period in Quebec (and in this case, starts immediately after landing) become a potential problem?
3). If they do review rental records: Does it help if I move out of Quebec after the 1-year rental?

Could you please help me with this? Thanks for your information.

Trish_Harmon

Jun 6, 2019
Absolutely. Once you've landed, you can live wherever you want. You have freedom of movement.
Thanks for your information! @Mary Zhang

This also implies that I'm free to move once the landing procedures are completed at the airport right? I plan to stay in Toronto for a couple of days first (4-5 maybe) until my cat recovers from the long flight. Can I take another flight to Montreal? Will they look at my ID? Do I receive any proof of completion of the landing procedures for taking a flight within Canada?

Reactions: Mary Zhang

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your information! @Mary Zhang

This also implies that I'm free to move once the landing procedures are completed at the airport right? I plan to stay in Toronto for a couple of days first (4-5 maybe) until my cat recovers from the long flight. Can I take another flight to Montreal? Will they look at my ID? Do I receive any proof of completion of the landing procedures for taking a flight within Canada?
Sure, you can take domestic flights within Canada. Show your ID at check-in. No, you would not receive additional proof for taking a flight within Canada. You can drive to Montreal from Toronto if you like.

Trish_Harmon

Jun 6, 2019
Sure, you can take domestic flights within Canada. Show your ID at check-in. No, you would not receive additional proof for taking a flight within Canada. You can drive to Montreal from Toronto if you like.
Thank you for the information! @steaky

Unfortunately I don't drive (yet) and this was one of the primary reasons I ended up with a rental in Quebec. Without a car I could only live in cities with good transportation or city center, which could be very pricy in other provinces.

I only have a counterfoil on my passport. Would it be a problem (like they see it and ask for my CoPR)?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Once you are in Canada all you will need is your passport as that has a photo and to ensure that name on your ticket/ boarding pass matches name in your passport that’s all. Nobody for internal travel cares whether you are a PR or not or even entitled to be in Canada unless of course you happen to be on a no fly list and that’s a whole different thing.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/travel-requirements/travel-documents.html

Trish_Harmon

Jun 6, 2019
Once you are in Canada all you will need is your passport as that has a photo and to ensure that name on your ticket/ boarding pass matches name in your passport that’s all. Nobody for internal travel cares whether you are a PR or not or even entitled to be in Canada unless of course you happen to be on a no fly list and that’s a whole different thing.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/travel-requirements/travel-documents.html
Thank you for the information!

pinkdots

Oct 11, 2018
Hey everyone,

This was originally posted under "Express Entry / Expression of Interest, but maybe it's better to discuss it over here:

I got my CoPR earlier this year (federal skilled worker stream) and will move to Canada soon. I don't have any spouse/family moving with me.

I have a remote job therefore I was not after any city specifically (housing price was a primary concern since I have no one to split with). I found a place in Quebec which was quite affordable. After I've paid the deposit, I came to realize (through many posts) that it might be a problem as I only have a Federal PR but not the CSQ.

According to the forum, it would be OK to land in Toronto or anywhere non-Quebec, and then move to Quebec upon completing the landing interview. Still, I'm worried the fact that I found a place in Quebec PRIOR TO arrival could indicate "intention to live in Quebec" despite that I didn't originally really have any. Will they look into this at some point (for example, when reviewing my citizenship application)?

I'll do the landing in Toronto late July and the rental contract starts Aug 01.

My concerns are:
1). Is landing in Toronto and moving to Quebec 3-5 days post-landing safe as everyone says? A short-term rental before Quebec would be really hard as I'm moving from Europe with my cat and the moving company can't put my stuff on hold for weeks. I don't drive, therefore it's hard to get a car rental to take my stuff from somewhere else. In other words, I have to be at the destination on time so they can deliver my cartons.
2). Do the officers go through rental records when reviewing documents for citizenship applications? Will my rental period in Quebec (and in this case, starts immediately after landing) become a potential problem?
3). If they do review rental records: Does it help if I move out of Quebec after the 1-year rental?

Could you please help me with this? Thanks for your information.
Hi, any updates on your situation? Where did you end up landing and how did you move to Quebec? Any issues?

Also, and this is somewhat unrelated but how did you manage to find accommodation prior to arriving in Quebec? What website/agency did you use?

Thanks!