+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing PR Card on H+C Grounds

JosephMG

Jul 7, 2021
I plan to renew my PR Card In August. I am present in Canada but do not meet the residency requirement. I'm short by 500 days.
I realise the "safest" thing to do would be to wait until I am back in compliance before I apply, but for various reasons I cannot wait that long.

I have had a look at the PR renewal form and can't see any mention of extenuating circumstances or a space to explain why I should be considered under H&C grounds. Is it simply a case of attaching another piece of paper to the initial application explaining why I have not met the requirement? Or do I need to wait for the refusal and then respond to the refusal with my circumstances?

Is there any indication as to how long it takes for a PR card renewal on H and C grounds?

Would I be better to let the PR card lapse and then apply for a PRTD when abroad under H and C grounds?

I don't want to get into the specific H and C reasons, but they are compelling and I do have documentary proof. Really, I am simply looking for your opinion or, better still, published governmental advice as to the best way to go about things.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: mokosze

mokosze

Jun 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore to manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 Jul 2014
Nomination.....
per 14 Nov 2014
AOR Received.
18 Dec 2014
File Transfer...
SLU 22 Aug 2015
Med's Request
26 Aug 2015
Med's Done....
28 Aug 2015
Passport Req..
11 Nov 2015
VISA ISSUED...
20 Nov 2015
I was about to post asking for the same timeline estimates as well.. I am planning to apply for prtd based on h&c as well with full documentations. I did not fulfill the RO.

I'm currently in Asia and hope anybody who has applied for prtd based on h&c can shed some light on the timeline. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was about to post asking for the same timeline estimates as well.. I am planning to apply for prtd based on h&c as well with full documentations. I did not fulfill the RO.

I'm currently in Asia and hope anybody who has applied for prtd based on h&c can shed some light on the timeline. Thanks
It is always impossible to say but due to covid there is even more unknowns. Could be as little as a few months to a year.

Reactions: mokosze

anonymouscookie

Sep 13, 2021
It is always impossible to say but due to covid there is even more unknowns. Could be as little as a few months to a year.
Hello I have a question, so basically when I landed I got the pr but I was obviously a minor and unable to make a decision to stay in Canada so obviously my PR CARD expired. so this led me to apply for a prtd based on h&c grounds. now my question is when i go to Canada in a few weeks, i have filled out the pr application but left one section empty which is the residency obligation as I stayed outside of Canada for 1095 days or more. However, the situations they mention (absences while accompanying family member, family business etc) don't apply to me. So my question is, do i leave this section empty when i submit this application in hopes they will look at my file knowing I have a valid reason based on h&c grounds or do i submit a letter along with this application? can someone help me with this please. thank you. Also, I was issued the visa 24th of august and I'm traveling on the 22nd of sept. and its category RC-1, so can anyone please elaborate on this and provide me with good news, thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello I have a question, so basically when I landed I got the pr but I was obviously a minor and unable to make a decision to stay in Canada so obviously my PR CARD expired. so this led me to apply for a prtd based on h&c grounds. now my question is when i go to Canada in a few weeks, i have filled out the pr application but left one section empty which is the residency obligation as I stayed outside of Canada for 1095 days or more. However, the situations they mention (absences while accompanying family member, family business etc) don't apply to me. So my question is, do i leave this section empty when i submit this application in hopes they will look at my file knowing I have a valid reason based on h&c grounds or do i submit a letter along with this application? can someone help me with this please. thank you. Also, I was issued the visa 24th of august and I'm traveling on the 22nd of sept. and its category RC-1, so can anyone please elaborate on this and provide me with good news, thanks.
please only Post once