22-05-2012
Passport Req..
10/08/2013
VISA ISSUED...
11/08/2013
LANDED..........
11/08/2013
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on filling in the form when you've spent a significant amount of time outside of Canada. Also what should I put in the address section when I was at no fixed abode backpacking around south east asia for a couple of years? Put my old Canadian address in where my friend was still receiving my mail?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I think the only advice is to be truthful and make sure you have the proof to back up the dates.

The form specifically asks for your location during your absence so do not put a Canadian address, what you have looks fine.

Beakster

Star Member
Dec 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2010 CSQ Application
Nomination.....
12-02-2012 CSQ Granted
AOR Received.
14-05-2012
Med's Request
14-05-2012
Med's Done....
22-05-2012
Passport Req..
10/08/2013
VISA ISSUED...
11/08/2013
LANDED..........
11/08/2013
The form specifically asks for your location during your absence so do not put a Canadian address, what you have looks fine.
For section 19 I think I'm going to put a Canadian address even though I wasn't in Canada. Section 21. clearly states I was not in Canada, but it is an Address history. If you go away for 2 weeks your Address doesn't change, I was away for a long time but there was still just 1 address where my mail was sent, and it is the address that shows up on credit reports. I didn't have fixed addresses outside of Canada during this time.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
For section 19 I think I'm going to put a Canadian address even though I wasn't in Canada. Section 21. clearly states I was not in Canada, but it is an Address history. If you go away for 2 weeks your Address doesn't change, I was away for a long time but there was still just 1 address where my mail was sent, and it is the address that shows up on credit reports. I didn't have fixed addresses outside of Canada during this time.
I think you should answer truthfully even if your mail is going to a Canadian address. You would not want to be mistaken as someone who is trying to misrepresent. Better safe than sorry.

Per the guide: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html

Your Address History: You must list all the addresses you have lived at, inside and outside Canada for the past five (5) years, or since becoming a permanent resident if less than five (5) years ago. You must account for each month during this time.

It does not say provide your mailing address, it says address where you lived in. But of course, all up to you. Good luck.

Beakster

Star Member
Dec 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2010 CSQ Application
Nomination.....
12-02-2012 CSQ Granted
AOR Received.
14-05-2012
Med's Request
14-05-2012
Med's Done....
22-05-2012
Passport Req..
10/08/2013
VISA ISSUED...
11/08/2013
LANDED..........
11/08/2013
Your Address History: You must list all the addresses you have lived at, inside and outside Canada for the past five (5) years, or since becoming a permanent resident if less than five (5) years ago. You must account for each month during this time.

It does not say provide your mailing address, it says address where you lived in. But of course, all up to you. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice.... I did live at the address I was planning to put down, but the rest of the addresses were not addresses I lived at. They were beach huts for a couple of nights, hammocks in the jungle, airport floors, overnight buses, scuba diving tour boats.

If I do not put my address in Canada I will have a couple of years of blank space in this section. Would this be better?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Thanks for the advice.... I did live at the address I was planning to put down, but the rest of the addresses were not addresses I lived at. They were beach huts for a couple of nights, hammocks in the jungle, airport floors, overnight buses, scuba diving tour boats.

If I do not put my address in Canada I will have a couple of years of blank space in this section. Would this be better?
If you were physically in the address, I would separate those dates so that it is clear you were in Canada. I would probably do something like this:

date 1 to date 2 : address in Canada where you physically were for the duration of the dates
date 1 to date 2: "no definite address in Thailand while backpacking OR if you remember the campsite/resort/etc then the address for that
and so on for each country

I would give as much detail as possible per country with accompanying proof, you would not want your application sent back/rejected just because of some confusion. If you do not have the specific address, make a separate letter with an explanation like you did here (I was just camping wherever available or whatever).