+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing Open Work Permit while awaiting Spousal PR ...

Michalie

Oct 8, 2012
Hi hoping someone can assist

Renewing open work permit while awaiting PR from Spousal Sponsorship but not sure which box to check off...

1. A Work Permit with the same employer
2. Restoration of your Status as a Worker
3. An initial Work Permit or a Work Permit with a new employer
4. Temporary Resident Permit

anyone know? thanks :D

Ontariobat

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2014
Passport Req..
[In Process: 03-07-2015 ; Decision Made: 14-07-2015 ; CoPR received 20-07-2015]
LANDED..........
28-07-2015! :) Lewiston, NY
What's your work permit related to now? Is it a post graduate work permit? More information is necessary for that.

Restoration of Status as a Worker seems most applicable since you're trying to renew your open work permit.

1. is a closed work permit
3. initial work permit or changing employees with a closed work permit
4. Something else that doesn't apply

Michalie

Oct 8, 2012
Hi Ontariobat

It's an Open Work Permit renewal based on awaiting a spousal sponsorship PR file to be approved.

You think Restoration of Status as a Worker is most applicable?

Also there seem to be 2 fees

Open Work Permit Holder fee $100

and

Work Permit (including extensions) $155 anyone know why?

Ontariobat

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2014
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
How did you get an open work permit originally is what I was asking. Most people can't get a work permit for Outland applications so that's why I was asking. Having a PR application in process definitely won't grant you a work permit or possibly an extension, but I guess it's worth trying. I was on a post grad open work permit (when I submitted my PR application) that expired and I'm fairly positive I wasn't eligible to renew. I'm not sure what work permits are eligible for renewal or not.

This link mentions having to pay both. Take a look at the fee list they provide. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=176&t=17

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Did you apply for PR inland? How did you get your current work permit?

Restoration is only for those who have no status.

Michalie

Oct 8, 2012
I'm sorry I should have been more clear. It's an inland application so Open WP was granted. and now needs to be renewed as no decision yet on PR sponsorship.

Ontariobat

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2014
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Hrmm. I did some searching around and didn't find anything related to anyone extending their inland OWP from the pilot program. I see what your dilemma is. I think restoration of worker status isn't the right selection as that applies to someone whose previous work permit expired. You could probably just check off 'worker with same employer' since it was initially an open work permit. It seems, if you're eligible for an extension with this program, they should update their paperwork.

Out of curiosity, when does your current OWP expire?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since the `new' OWP will allow you to work for almost any employer , I suggest you select #3.

Michalie

Oct 8, 2012
thanks Ponga & Ontariobat

- Since the `new' OWP will allow you to work for almost any employer , I suggest you select #3. -

You think this #3 is best? I'm worried because it seems as though it's the choice for a WP with a new employer....

-Out of curiosity, when does your current OWP expire?-

current OWP expires October

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Michalie said:
You think this #3 is best? I'm worried because it seems as though it's the choice for a WP with a new employer....
Pick 1 or 3. It really doesn't matter, as they will see it's an OWP and process it accordingly.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wouldn't a new work permit for the same employer be, in essence, a CLOSED work permit?

IMHO, the new OWP is the way to go, because it will still allow you to work for your existing employer, but you'd have the freedom to work elsewhere if you chose to do so.

Gotta admit that CIC could clarify this for people!

Michalie

Oct 8, 2012
Pick 1 or 3. It really doesn't matter, as they will see it's an OWP and process it accordingly.

canuck_in_uk said:
I'm thinking I will check off both #1 and 3....

Michalie

Oct 8, 2012
Ponga said:
Wouldn't a new work permit for the same employer be, in essence, a CLOSED work permit?

IMHO, the new OWP is the way to go, because it will still allow you to work for your existing employer, but you'd have the freedom to work elsewhere if you chose to do so.

Gotta admit that CIC could clarify this for people!
what's IMHO?

CIC really needs to either clarify or have a separate form for this type of WP. :(