+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal of PR Card

kalimull23

Sep 29, 2012
Hi,
I have permanent residence status of Canada and landed on November 30, 2007 and travelled to Pakistan and subsequently to Australia to start my Ph.D. As I got International postgraduate award from Charles Sturt University, NSW, Australia, and Canadian PR at same time so I decide to avail this award to enhance my education and earned my Ph.D degree in August 2011. After that I looked after my ailing parents for one year. I landed again in August 25, 2012.

By this way I have completed only 90 days residency in Canada. I have started job here and want to renew my PR card to be able to travel to see my parents in case of emergency.

How I should proceed?
Thanks in advance
Kaleem

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is better not trying to renew your PR card until August 2014 when you meet the residency requirements again. Studying overseas is not considered a valid excuse not to meet the residency requirements and as for taking care of ailing parents, you would have to prove what is wrong with them and why they needed your care only for one year, and not before or after. Even if you managed to prove that your parents needed you for the one year, that would still not excuse you from not meeting the residency requirements because even with taking care of your parents for 1 year out of 5, you still would have had plenty of time to meet the requirements.

kalimull23

Sep 29, 2012
Thanks leon,
it means that if I apply after August 14, 2014 after meeting 730 days, Immigration department will renew my PR card easily or still they can question about my previous stay outside the Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you apply with your days just at the 730 mark, you may be more likely to get a residency questionnaire (RQ) which means a long delay. If you apply being able to prove when you arrived, never having left for 2 yrs. so no passport stamps since you arrived, having had a full time job the whole time and proving that, you might have a better chance of avoiding an RQ.