+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal of PR Card for Non-Resident accompanying a Canadian Citizen Family Membe

CookieMaster

May 4, 2016
Renewal of PR Card for Non-Resident accompanying a Canadian Citizen Family Member

Hello Everyone,

Have searched on this forum and elsewhere on the google, but could not find any answer and hence posting here:

Here is the Question / Scenario

Me (Canadian Citizen) and my wife (PR Card Holder) have been living outside Canada now for 4 years

1- Since we are living outside Canada, and have no ties or income from Canada, we (both of us) have not applied for any tax returns

2- Now my wife has to renew her PR card, and in the form => Application for a Permanent Resident Card [IMM 5444] (PDF, 858.76 KB) <=
on page 3, it mentions a Tick Box: Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency CRA

Now, searching CIC website
cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp

Additional documents of proof of residence in Canada in the past five (5) years

Include the following with your application:

Your most recent Notice of Assessment issued by the Canada Revenue Agency within the past two (2) years. Note: You can view (and print) your tax return, as well as other personal tax information using the CRA’s My Account online service. To register or login, visit My Account.

Notice of Assessment (NOA) from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA): If you include your Notice of Assessment, you authorize CIC to verify with CRA the information you have provided – Check “Yes”. If you do not have a printed copy of your NOA, you can access and print a copy directly from the CRA website using the My Account online service. To register or login, visit My Account.

Now my question
1- Do we need to apply for Tax returns ?
2- What needs to be done ?

Second Part is about UCI
since my wife never renewed her PR, and this her first time, so we don't have UCI number, so please correct my understanding, --> this means we can leave UCI number blank or write N/A (not applicable)

cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=013&top=4
What is a UCI?

UCI stands for “unique client identifier.” It is also known as a client identification number (client ID). It appears on official documents you get from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). It has four numbers, a hyphen and four more numbers. (Example: 0000-0000).

If you are applying to CIC for the first time, you will not yet have a UCI. If so, and you are filling out a form that asks for one, write “Not Applicable” or “N/A” in the space provided.

If you are applying online and the form does not allow you to input “N/A,” leave the space blank.

Can anyone help in these two issues. Appreciate it. Thanks

Bridget

Jun 9, 2016
Hi, I am not sure if you have found out the answers for your questions. I am currently working on the renewal of PR and facing the exactly same problems. If you have found out the answer, would you mind sharing with me? That will be super helpful. Thank you! ;) ;)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
CookieMaster said:
Renewal of PR Card for Non-Resident accompanying a Canadian Citizen Family Member

Hello Everyone,

Have searched on this forum and elsewhere on the google, but could not find any answer and hence posting here:

Here is the Question / Scenario

Me (Canadian Citizen) and my wife (PR Card Holder) have been living outside Canada now for 4 years

1- Since we are living outside Canada, and have no ties or income from Canada, we (both of us) have not applied for any tax returns

2- Now my wife has to renew her PR card, and in the form => Application for a Permanent Resident Card [IMM 5444] (PDF, 858.76 KB) <=
on page 3, it mentions a Tick Box: Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency CRA

Now, searching CIC website

Now my question
1- Do we need to apply for Tax returns ?
2- What needs to be done ?

Second Part is about UCI
since my wife never renewed her PR, and this her first time, so we don't have UCI number, so please correct my understanding, --> this means we can leave UCI number blank or write N/A (not applicable)

Can anyone help in these two issues. Appreciate it. Thanks
The UCI is the XXXX-XXXX number on the front of her PR card, labelled "ID No/No ID".

Almost_Canadian

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
As your wife is staying with you ( Canadian citizen), the time spent with you is counted towards Residency Obligation. Make sure you submit full evidence of it. This point is what will get her PR renewed.
For Tax returns, you should send a letter along with documents explaining the situation and reason for not having tax returns - she lives overseas with you and therefore doesn't file taxes in Canada.
For UCI - it's on her PR card - as others have pointed out.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Reminders and Cautions:

-- PRs do not need to have a currently valid PR card to maintain PR status.

-- IRCC policy is that PRs outside Canada are NOT eligible to be issued a new PR card.
-- -- This does not affect the PR's status, since, again, there is no need to have a currently valid PR card.
-- -- IRCC expects PRs living abroad, but in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation (which is mostly about PRs living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse), to obtain a PR Travel Document for travel to Canada, and to otherwise not apply for a PR card replacement until they have relocated to live in Canada.

Note: many, many, many PRs living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse nonetheless try to renew their PR card. This is typically for convenience (mostly to avoid the inconvenience of having to obtain a PR TD to travel to Canada) or for some assurance their PR status continues to be valid. The latter is totally unnecessary since as long as the PR is accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse there should be no concerns about continued status. (Obviously, however, PRs in this situation should watch for changes in Canadian law, since the law is subject to change.)

For those who actually return to stay in Canada and are in effect at least temporarily living in Canada, so long as they are complete and truthful in the application itself they should have no problems.

Those who are really continuing to live abroad, however, risk problems. And if they make any misrepresentations in the application, including by omission, the risk of problems increases as do the severity of consequences if deemed to have made a misrepresentation. Note, for example, in the current application item 12 requires the PR to provide the PR's current residential address in Canada. Then the PR must sign a declaration stating the applicant (for the PR card) "will immediately inform Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada if any of the information or answers provided . . . change."

Scores and scores of PRs have fudged in this regard, leaving Canada after applying to return to where their actual residential address is. Many have slipped through the process without a problem. But many have been dragged into Secondary Review and how that goes varies considerably from one PR to another. And for some the problem leads to determinations of misrepresentation, for which the consequences have been made more severe in recent years.

In the meantime, for some time now, the trend at CIC and now IRCC (current name of what was formerly CIC) has been to increase scrutiny and elevate enforcement. Which means that the extent to which PRs can easily do this, applying for and obtaining a new PR card even though they are not actually living in Canada, is not as easy as it was in the past. At the least, more and more PRs fudging some in this process are creating a record in IRCC which to some extent compromises their credibility, and this can have long-term negative influence in future transactions with IRCC and CBSA. It is never a good idea to risk compromising one's credibility.

How one approaches these matters is an individual, very personal decision, dependent on the particular circumstances in that individual's situation. But it would be prudent to carefully evaluate how to proceed unless one can be absolutely upfront and truthful in the information submitted, including where one is actually residing, not just at the time the application is submitted but after that as well.

Final reminder: the declaration the applicant makes, includes the following (in addition to affirming the obligation to immediately notify IRCC of any changes):

"I understand that any false statements or concealment of a material fact may be grounds for my prosecution or removal.

I realize that once this document has been completed and signed, it will form part of my Immigration Record and will be used to verify my family details on future applications."

Overall (the short answer): Most PRs living abroad should wait until they return to settle and live in Canada before applying for a new PR card. This does not affect their PR status so long as they continue to be in compliance with the PR RO.

Reactions: cailang

ralph2018

Mar 1, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I am a Canadian Citizen and my wife (a Canadian PR) is accompanying me and my two kids (who are also Canadian citizens) outside Canada since Feb 2008. She became PR and landed in Nov 2006 and stayed with me in Canada up until Jan 2008 and subsequnetly we moved outside Canada in Feb 2008. Her PR got expired in Nov 2011 but she couldn't renew it as we did not visit Canada up until now. Henceforth, in Dec 2016 we applied a multiple entry PRTD for her and wrote a cover letter describing our scenario of "PR expired and accompanying Canadian Citizen spouse outside Canada on a long term basis". However, we only got a one time entry PRTD in Jan 2017 which is valid for 6 months. Now we are planning to visit Canada with my PR wife and kids in April 2017 for couple of weeks.

Q-1a) The question is that should we apply for her PR renewal this time while inside Canada using an address of a family friend?
OR
Q-1b) Just come back after spending the vacations and apply another PRTD next year once we are finally moving back to settle in Canada permanenelty in summer 2018?

Q2- My wife (a Canadian PR) has lost her original "Record of Landing" paper and only has an expired PR Card. The PRTD application mentioned above was approved based on the expired PR Card copy, previous passport copies and other supporting documents showing her stay in Canada and aboard. Now if we would like to apply for replacement "Record of Landing" for which the application probably called as "Verification of the Status":
2a) Can we apply it from outside Canada or do we have to apply it from within Canada?
2b) Is it required and mandatory for the PR renewal application?

Appreciate your advice on the above queries, thanks.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
ralph2018 said:
Hi Everyone,

I am a Canadian Citizen and my wife (a Canadian PR) is accompanying me and my two kids (who are also Canadian citizens) outside Canada since Feb 2008. She became PR and landed in Nov 2006 and stayed with me in Canada up until Jan 2008 and subsequnetly we moved outside Canada in Feb 2008. Her PR got expired in Nov 2011 but she couldn't renew it as we did not visit Canada up until now. Henceforth, in Dec 2016 we applied a multiple entry PRTD for her and wrote a cover letter describing our scenario of "PR expired and accompanying Canadian Citizen spouse outside Canada on a long term basis". However, we only got a one time entry PRTD in Jan 2017 which is valid for 6 months. Now we are planning to visit Canada with my PR wife and kids in April 2017 for couple of weeks.

Q-1a) The question is that should we apply for her PR renewal this time while inside Canada using an address of a family friend?
OR
Q-1b) Just come back after spending the vacations and apply another PRTD next year once we are finally moving back to settle in Canada permanenelty in summer 2018?

Q2- My wife (a Canadian PR) has lost her original "Record of Landing" paper and only has an expired PR Card. The PRTD application mentioned above was approved based on the expired PR Card copy, previous passport copies and other supporting documents showing her stay in Canada and aboard. Now if we would like to apply for replacement "Record of Landing" for which the application probably called as "Verification of the Status":
2a) Can we apply it from outside Canada or do we have to apply it from within Canada?

Appreciate your advice on the above queries, thanks.

It is interesting that your partner was issued a single-use PR TD given last year's policy change which seemed to embrace precisely these circumstances as appropriate for issuing a multiple-use PR TD valid for up to five years. Perhaps this was due to the amount of time living abroad, nearly a decade, without revisiting Canada. But of course I do not really know why.

Regarding your questions: It is inappropriate to offer more than suggestions in a forum like this; this is not an proper venue for giving or seeking advice as such. Sure, a lot of advice is indeed doled out here. Always consider it FWIW (For-What-It's-Worth), with much caution. In contrast, there are many here who make a concerted effort to offer information, insight, experience, context and analysis, amid suggestions; this too (including anything I post) should be considered with caution but many of us do indeed endeavor to be helpful and, as best we can, provide reliable information.

OR

Follow the instructions. Be truthful. I am not sure what you mean by "using an address of a family friend?" As a mailing address (item 13 in the PR card application), that would be OK. But that will not suffice. I suppose you are asking, rather, if you should list a friend's address as your wife's residential address (item 12 in the PR card application). If your partner does not actually live there, it is not her residential address. Even if your partner lives there, say briefly, but before the PR card application is processed and a new card delivered, she leaves Canada to return to a home abroad, remember that the declaration the PR card applicant must make, to "immediately inform" IRCC of any changes in the information submitted.

In the circumstances you describe there should be no problem regarding credit toward PR Residency Obligation compliance, based on accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse, so it would be really foolish to make any misrepresentations in such an application (including any by omission, such as failing to immediately inform IRCC of a change in residential address), to play any games in this regard.

It appears that many do fudge about their residential address and many do not encounter a problem doing so. That does not make doing this (essentially giving a phony address) prudent, not at all. (One of the most serious problems with anecdotal reports about what worked for someone else is that this never means it will work for another person, especially if it is overtly contrary to the rules. That something can work, based on it having worked, falls way short of knowing it will work, especially recognizing the particular details are always at least somewhat different.)

Only your partner can decide, based on the specifics of your partner's situation, how to go about this. That said, the prudent approach is to be truthful and that probably means waiting until actually resettling, more or less permanently in Canada, before making an application for a new PR card.

Q-2) My wife (a Canadian PR) has lost her original "Record of Landing" paper . . . we would like to apply for replacement "Record of Landing" for which the application probably called as "Verification of the Status":

Without the original CoPR (as your partner landed in 2006, she received a Confirmation of Permanent Residence form rather than the previous "Record of Landing" form), yes she should apply for a Verification of Status (perhaps it was the absence of the CoPR that led to a single-use PR TD rather than a multiple-use one).

An email address can be used to receive not only communications but the actual VoS document itself (works only for computers, not smart phones or tablets). The application form appears to accommodate foreign residential addresses. Friend's address could be used as a mailing address, but then email used to receive communications and the VoS document itself (not sure how this works for getting a physical copy to submit with future PR TD application or future PR card application . . . my impression is the document can be printed as a "copy").

cailang

Apr 12, 2018
Reminders and Cautions:

-- PRs do not need to have a currently valid PR card to maintain PR status.

-- IRCC policy is that PRs outside Canada are NOT eligible to be issued a new PR card.
-- -- This does not affect the PR's status, since, again, there is no need to have a currently valid PR card.
-- -- IRCC expects PRs living abroad, but in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation (which is mostly about PRs living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse), to obtain a PR Travel Document for travel to Canada, and to otherwise not apply for a PR card replacement until they have relocated to live in Canada.

Note: many, many, many PRs living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse nonetheless try to renew their PR card. This is typically for convenience (mostly to avoid the inconvenience of having to obtain a PR TD to travel to Canada) or for some assurance their PR status continues to be valid. The latter is totally unnecessary since as long as the PR is accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse there should be no concerns about continued status. (Obviously, however, PRs in this situation should watch for changes in Canadian law, since the law is subject to change.)

For those who actually return to stay in Canada and are in effect at least temporarily living in Canada, so long as they are complete and truthful in the application itself they should have no problems.

Those who are really continuing to live abroad, however, risk problems. And if they make any misrepresentations in the application, including by omission, the risk of problems increases as do the severity of consequences if deemed to have made a misrepresentation. Note, for example, in the current application item 12 requires the PR to provide the PR's current residential address in Canada. Then the PR must sign a declaration stating the applicant (for the PR card) "will immediately inform Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada if any of the information or answers provided . . . change."

Scores and scores of PRs have fudged in this regard, leaving Canada after applying to return to where their actual residential address is. Many have slipped through the process without a problem. But many have been dragged into Secondary Review and how that goes varies considerably from one PR to another. And for some the problem leads to determinations of misrepresentation, for which the consequences have been made more severe in recent years.

In the meantime, for some time now, the trend at CIC and now IRCC (current name of what was formerly CIC) has been to increase scrutiny and elevate enforcement. Which means that the extent to which PRs can easily do this, applying for and obtaining a new PR card even though they are not actually living in Canada, is not as easy as it was in the past. At the least, more and more PRs fudging some in this process are creating a record in IRCC which to some extent compromises their credibility, and this can have long-term negative influence in future transactions with IRCC and CBSA. It is never a good idea to risk compromising one's credibility.

How one approaches these matters is an individual, very personal decision, dependent on the particular circumstances in that individual's situation. But it would be prudent to carefully evaluate how to proceed unless one can be absolutely upfront and truthful in the information submitted, including where one is actually residing, not just at the time the application is submitted but after that as well.

Final reminder: the declaration the applicant makes, includes the following (in addition to affirming the obligation to immediately notify IRCC of any changes):

"I understand that any false statements or concealment of a material fact may be grounds for my prosecution or removal.

I realize that once this document has been completed and signed, it will form part of my Immigration Record and will be used to verify my family details on future applications."

Overall (the short answer): Most PRs living abroad should wait until they return to settle and live in Canada before applying for a new PR card. This does not affect their PR status so long as they continue to be in compliance with the PR RO.
Thank you so much for offering this input. I've been searching for recommendation on this situation for a while.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
At the risk, it appears, of feeding a troll . . .

What you wrote there, was wrong. The OP was issued a new PR card which is now expiring in August 2021.
Your are quoting a post made nearly FIVE YEARS ago, and quoting OUT of Context. Nonetheless, the gist of what is quoted from my overview (reminder) of IRCC policy then, five years ago, in general terms continues to correctly reflect current IRCC POLICY.

Moreover, other than engaging in trolling, I have no idea why you would assert that a single instance of this or that occurring somehow contradicts what IRCC information CLEARLY states is its policy. There is NO logic underlying any such assertion. That's to suggest if someone gets away with something, that shows there is a policy to allow it. That is NOT how things work. NOT even close.

In contrast there is NO DOUBT that I correctly stated IRCC policy at the time.

And, moreover, that continues to generally be the current policy, as it is stated in numerous ways in numerous IRCC webpages and is formally stated in the applicable regulations.

Here is one example: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/who-can-apply.html where it states "To be eligible for a PR card, you need to: . . . submit your application in Canada."

Or, consider the help centre FAQ, found here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=055&top=10 where it similarly and actually more emphatically states "To apply for a permanent resident card, you must: . . . be physically present in Canada"

Likewise in the operational manual ENF 27 "Permanent Resident Card," for which the pdf is linked here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals.html where, in the chart on page 9 it states: "All PR card applications must be made in Canada and include . . . " (specifying information and documents to be included in the application)

While the precise language varies a little, this is stated multiple more times in ENF 27; for example, it is stated in both sections 8. and 8.1, and reference is given to the applicable Regulation 56(2) IRPA Regulations, where it similarly states that "An application for a permanent resident card must be made in Canada" which can be found here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-56-20150220.html#wb-cont

Then there is the guide for making a PR card application, which is here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html where it similarly states that "To be eligible for a PR card, you must: . . . be physically present in Canada"

There are few IRCC polices so frequently and emphatically and clearly stated as this.

BEYOND that, context matters. In the OP's case rather little is known about how the OP got away with (it appears) making a successful PR card application from outside Canada. Perhaps @scylla is correct, about being lucky:

IMO you got lucky with the first approval being processed while you were outside of Canada. Who knows - you might get lucky again. . . . I'm very familiar with RO rules. . . . The issue is applying from outside of Canada. This technically isn't allowed.
Perhaps the OP utilized a consultant, or a family member in Canada. Perhaps there was some fudging of information. There are plenty of ways to work around the system, so many do, and some get-away-with-it.

How or why the OP managed to be issued a new PR card without making the application from within Canada does not matter . . . except we KNOW, NO DOUBT . . . what IRCC policy is and that policy is that to be eligible the PR must make the application IN Canada.

In any event, the CONTEXT for what you quote from a post I made FIVE YEARS ago, was clearly in regards to circumstances involving living abroad, accompanying a citizen spouse, and in regards to this context here too there is NO DOUBT that IRCC favours the PR abroad applying for a PR Travel Document to facilitate travel to Canada. This too is stated in multiple IRCC sources. This too is made emphatically clear.

Reason for hammering so hard: to make sure it is clear what IRCC policy is, based on reliable sources not my opinion, since it appears this was a deliberate effort to mislead if not outright deceive, to engage in spreading misinformation.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At the risk, it appears, of feeding a troll . . .

Your are quoting a post made nearly FIVE YEARS ago, and quoting OUT of Context. Nonetheless, the gist of what is quoted from my overview (reminder) of IRCC policy then, five years ago, in general terms continues to correctly reflect current IRCC POLICY.

Moreover, other than engaging in trolling, I have no idea why you would assert that a single instance of this or that occurring somehow contradicts what IRCC information CLEARLY states is its policy. There is NO logic underlying any such assertion. That's to suggest if someone gets away with something, that shows there is a policy to allow it. That is NOT how things work. NOT even close.

In contrast there is NO DOUBT that I correctly stated IRCC policy at the time.

And, moreover, that continues to generally be the current policy, as it is stated in numerous ways in numerous IRCC webpages and is formally stated in the applicable regulations.

Here is one example: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/who-can-apply.html where it states "To be eligible for a PR card, you need to: . . . submit your application in Canada."

Or, consider the help centre FAQ, found here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=055&top=10 where it similarly and actually more emphatically states "To apply for a permanent resident card, you must: . . . be physically present in Canada"

Likewise in the operational manual ENF 27 "Permanent Resident Card," for which the pdf is linked here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals.html where, in the chart on page 9 it states: "All PR card applications must be made in Canada and include . . . " (specifying information and documents to be included in the application)

While the precise language varies a little, this is stated multiple more times in ENF 27; for example, it is stated in both sections 8. and 8.1, and reference is given to the applicable Regulation 56(2) IRPA Regulations, where it similarly states that "An application for a permanent resident card must be made in Canada" which can be found here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-56-20150220.html#wb-cont

Then there is the guide for making a PR card application, which is here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html where it similarly states that "To be eligible for a PR card, you must: . . . be physically present in Canada"

There are few IRCC polices so frequently and emphatically and clearly stated as this.

BEYOND that, context matters. In the OP's case rather little is known about how the OP got away with (it appears) making a successful PR card application from outside Canada. Perhaps @scylla is correct, about being lucky:

Perhaps the OP utilized a consultant, or a family member in Canada. Perhaps there was some fudging of information. There are plenty of ways to work around the system, so many do, and some get-away-with-it.

How or why the OP managed to be issued a new PR card without making the application from within Canada does not matter . . . except we KNOW, NO DOUBT . . . what IRCC policy is and that policy is that to be eligible the PR must make the application IN Canada.

In any event, the CONTEXT for what you quote from a post I made FIVE YEARS ago, was clearly in regards to circumstances involving living abroad, accompanying a citizen spouse, and in regards to this context here too there is NO DOUBT that IRCC favours the PR abroad applying for a PR Travel Document to facilitate travel to Canada. This too is stated in multiple IRCC sources. This too is made emphatically clear.

Reason for hammering so hard: to make sure it is clear what IRCC policy is, based on reliable sources not my opinion, since it appears this was a deliberate effort to mislead if not outright deceive, to engage in spreading misinformation.
No trolling. See how lucky the OP got the PR card expiring August 2021. What does matter is that OP got the PR card renewed even physically outside Canada (despite what you wrote five years ago!)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
No trolling. See how lucky the OP got the PR card expiring August 2021. What does matter is that OP got the PR card renewed even physically outside Canada (despite what you wrote five years ago!)
Matters how? It does NOT change what the policy is. I was not forecasting how it would go for any particular individual. I was citing IRCC policy, CORRECTLY citing IRCC policy.

You claim that is wrong. That is MISINFORMATION. Simple as that. And given your history in this forum it is clear you know better.

To be clear, the policy is clearly stated in the guide for making a PR card application, which again is here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html where it states that "To be eligible for a PR card, you must: . . . be physically present in Canada"

That is the policy. Whether or not you, or someone else, lied to get PR status, or keep it, and succeeded, really does NOT matter. Does not affect what the policy is.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Matters how? It does NOT change what the policy is. I was not forecasting how it would go for any particular individual. I was citing IRCC policy, CORRECTLY citing IRCC policy.

You claim that is wrong. That is MISINFORMATION. Simple as that. And given your history in this forum it is clear you know better.

To be clear, the policy is clearly stated in the guide for making a PR card application, which again is here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html where it states that "To be eligible for a PR card, you must: . . . be physically present in Canada"

That is the policy. Whether or not you, or someone else, lied to get PR status, or keep it, and succeeded, really does NOT matter. Does not affect what the policy is.

LET ME REPEAT: OP got the PR card renewed even physically outside Canada (despite what you wrote five years ago!). This is not misinformation. Read the OP's post and history. Simple as that.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
LET ME REPEAT: OP got the PR card renewed even physically outside Canada (despite what you wrote five years ago!). This is not misinformation. Read the OP's post and history. Simple as that.
You can repeat what is NOT true until you are blue. Does not change what the policy is.

As I said, five years ago, and still say, CORRECTLY, IRCC policy is "To be eligible for a PR card, you must: . . . be physically present in Canada"

Your claim that it is wrong to state that this is the policy is MISINFORMATION. I cited and linked at least four IRCC sources, plus the official Regulation, which state this policy.

Deliberate posting of misinformation needs to be strenuously discouraged.

To be clear, the legitimate sources of information which clearly state this policy include:

IRCC guide for PR card applications:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html whe

IRPA Regulation 56(2): https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-56-20150220.html#wb-cont

IRCC Operational Manual ENF 27 Permanent Resident Card https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals.html

IRCC FAQ help centre: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=055&top=10

IRCC webpage with PR card application information: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/who-can-apply.html

Not sure how often you want to repeat the cycle, but the policy is just about as clear as the Residency Obligation itself, and it is clear that efforts to confuse, mislead, or deceive others should be resoundingly discouraged.