+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal of nearly expired PR cards without meeting residency obligations

Verychichi

Jan 15, 2016
Leon said:
It would be advisable not to try to inform immigration beforehand. As long as your PR card is still valid, they will let you enter Canada but may report you for not meeting the RO (residency obligation). You can appeal this with your reasons and evidence. The processing of your appeal may take 1-2 years during which time you remain a PR and should stay in Canada in order to show that you are ready to settle at this point if you want to have any chance at your appeal. If you win your appeal, you keep your PR. If you lose your appeal, you lose it and will be asked to leave.

If you get in without being reported, you should stay for 2 years straight before you attempt to renew your PR card.
Leon, thank you for that advice! I asked around before from friends and no one was able to give me any idea of what I should do. Now I have a much better idea of the best way forward. Thanks again, and much appreciated.

manu2009

May 3, 2016
hi
my history i was landed in Canada 2005 November and my PR card renewd 2011 and new card issue 29march 2011 but i was went back home country 29th august 2011 due to my parent was very ill .specially my father also my family lived with my parent.i can,t came back canada last 4years and last year my father was pass away and only one month my father in law also pass away .my wife had in shock .
now my friend give suggest me that u must do renwal prcard which was expried 29 march 2016.and i return back canada march 21st before expiry date.what can i do now i want to back shortly time can i applied for renewal card or apply H&R C .plz give me guide
thamks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manu2009 said:
hi
my history i was landed in Canada 2005 November and my PR card renewd 2011 and new card issue 29march 2011 but i was went back home country 29th august 2011 due to my parent was very ill .specially my father also my family lived with my parent.i can,t came back canada last 4years and last year my father was pass away and only one month my father in law also pass away .my wife had in shock .
now my friend give suggest me that u must do renwal prcard which was expried 29 march 2016.and i return back canada march 21st before expiry date.what can i do now i want to back shortly time can i applied for renewal card or apply H&R C .plz give me guide
thamks
If you can return to Canada before your PR card expires and you don't get reported on entry, you can put your PR status back in good standing by staying in Canada for 2 years straight and after that apply to renew your PR card.

If you get reported on entry, you would have to appeal based on humanitarian grounds and you could apply to renew your PR card for a year at a time.

If you aren't able to return to Canada before your PR card expires, you would have to apply for a PR travel document in order to return.

mgm1456

Jul 30, 2016
Leon said:
If you can return to Canada before your PR card expires and you don't get reported on entry, you can put your PR status back in good standing by staying in Canada for 2 years straight and after that apply to renew your PR card.

If you get reported on entry, you would have to appeal based on humanitarian grounds and you could apply to renew your PR card for a year at a time.

If you aren't able to return to Canada before your PR card expires, you would have to apply for a PR travel document in order to return.
Leon, I landed in Dec 2011 crossing the border from USA and returned to USA on the same day. Now, after 4.8 years, I would like to move to Canada permanently. I didn't apply for the PR card and SIN. So, now I can cross the border from the US to Canada as I have a US GC. I can escape reporting. But, how can I get SIN, Driver License without ever having a PR card? Is it possible to get SIN and D/L using the landing document that has a date in Dec 2011?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mgm1456 said:
Leon, I landed in Dec 2011 crossing the border from USA and returned to USA on the same day. Now, after 4.8 years, I would like to move to Canada permanently. I didn't apply for the PR card and SIN. So, now I can cross the border from the US to Canada as I have a US GC. I can escape reporting. But, how can I get SIN, Driver License without ever having a PR card? Is it possible to get SIN and D/L using the landing document that has a date in Dec 2011?
Difficult. Getting a DL may be possible with landing papers depending on the province. Getting a SIN with landing papers older than 1 year is no longer possible. Without a SIN, you can not work so that is definitely a problem.

mgm1456

Jul 30, 2016
Leon said:
Difficult. Getting a DL may be possible with landing papers depending on the province. Getting a SIN with landing papers older than 1 year is no longer possible. Without a SIN, you can not work so that is definitely a problem.
:( :( :(. Ok Thanks a lot for your prompt response. Appreciate it.

Tarus123

Dec 11, 2018
Thank you so much guys for such an intellectual conversation. Really appreciate you guys putting time and hard work into this thread.

I am very confused and was hoping to get some insight from you guys regarding my current immigration situation.

I am citizen of a China and have been in US for the last 11 years (since age 18) on student visa. In 2009 when I was 19 yrs old, I was arrested-fingerprinted and then released for Underage drinking. I went to the court and my charges were dropped from underage drinking to loitering/prowling. This arrest record does show up on my FBI clearance form.

I recently got married to a Canadian citizen. However, because of the field of my education, I am not planning to migrate to Canada for the next 15 yrs. I would however like to settle in Canada around 15 years from now.

I have two questions:

1. What would be a good time for me to apply for PR (spousal sponsorship). A few friends are telling me to get PR now as it will be hard to prove to Canadian government that why did I not come to Canada earlier, when I got married (the longer I wait the harder it will be). The counter argument is that if I apply for PR now, I will not be able to fulfill the 2-year requirement in Canada, and it will be hard/impossible to renew my PR.

2. Since my wife has family in Canada and I am not yet sure about when to apply for PR, I was thinking I can get a visitor visa to visit family in Canada. Now when I was filling the visitor visa application online, I came across this question:

"Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with, or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?".

I am not sure my underage drinking or loitering/prowling is considered "criminal". Second if I do say yes, would this be a ground for denying my visitor visa.

3. If my visitor visa gets denied, will it have any impact on my PR application in future?

Thank you in advance to everyone!