+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew my Refugee Travel Document

jack.cle113

Dec 12, 2016
Hello guys,

I just have one question about renewing my refugee travel document.
I got my refugee status in 2015 and PR status in May 2016. I heard that refugee cannot travel with their home country passport, so I applied for RTD in 2015 and it will expire on June 2017. I have applied for US visa and successfully got it on my RTD. But I need to renew my RTD in order to get into the US because they require that the passport's validation must be longer than 6 months. Will the old RTD return to me with the renewed one? Because I have us visa on it.

Thanks for your patience and help!

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
jack.cle113 said:
Hello guys,

I just have one question about renewing my refugee travel document.
I got my refugee status in 2015 and PR status in May 2016. I heard that refugee cannot travel with their home country passport, so I applied for RTD in 2015 and it will expire on June 2017. I have applied for US visa and successfully got it on my RTD. But I need to renew my RTD in order to get into the US because they require that the passport's validation must be longer than 6 months. Will the old RTD return to me with the renewed one? Because I have us visa on it.

Thanks for your patience and help!
I am just answering based on general knowledge. Best person to ask is Passport Canada.

But I am afraid you can't have 2 valid travel documents issued to you by the same country (in this case 2 RTDs). However, they can send it back to you if it is expired. One more thing, if you request, they can just send you the page with US visa stamp. However, I am not sure if that works for crossing the border. Maybe ask US Embassy.

I would love to know the correct answer. So please update us if you get the right answer.

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadatraveldocument said:
I wonder to know why some refugee get 2 years RTD and some getting 5 years RTD because i got 5 years and im refugee too
Have you got your PR yet? if not, that's why they gave you the five-year window

FISHER321

Sep 3, 2016
Refugee with PR applicants gets 5 years Travel document validity.
Refugees without PR gets 2years TRD validity. 100% sure

stanadyne114

Aug 10, 2015
Refugee with PR applicants gets 5 years Travel document validity.
Refugees without PR gets 2years TRD validity. 100% sure
I have applied for Refugee Travel Document I have just become a permanent resident in July 2017 under Protected person category and 3 call centre agent said that I am eligible for Certificate of a identity as I am a permanent resident of CANADA and NOT protected person anymore. Pls advise if you got a RTD or COI and am I still considered a Potected person in CANADA

thompson1972

Jul 10, 2019
I HAVE MY TRAVEL DOCUMENT EXPIRED IN 2 MONTH AND I HAVE APPLY FOR MY PR SINCE 2017 AND I HAVEN'T GET IT YET. PLS HOW CAN I RENEW MY TRAVEL DOCUMENT AND CAN I TRAVEL WITH MY TRAVEL DOCUMENT TO SAUDI FOR (HAJJ Pilgrimage) PLS

Abbi2021

Jul 10, 2019
Sir I have question for my friend he want to travel Saudi Arabia and Bahrain to visit. Do you think on refugee travel document he will get the visit visa or no. Saudi he is going for umra.

His question is what will be his nationality mention on rtd he is concern about he have his pr card.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sir I have question for my friend he want to travel Saudi Arabia and Bahrain to visit. Do you think on refugee travel document he will get the visit visa or no. Saudi he is going for umra.

His question is what will be his nationality mention on rtd he is concern about he have his pr card.
There is a special visa for going to do the umra. Not sure how hard with be to get the visa. Not sure if you can enter Bahrain with RTD.

lgebe

Nov 17, 2020
hello

I'm permanent resident in Canada and I have travel document(blue color) but my travel document expired. I would like to renew so, what should I do

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
hi friends. i applied for pr months ago and I gave my fingerprints 4,5 months ago but still, there is no update, and the estimated time for my application, based on what said on IRC website in my account, is Aug. my 2years travel document will expire on oct, and I have to go to turkey in jun so I think I gotta renew it before I leave the country.is it the same procedure? and will I receive a 2years travel document or I will receive a 5years travel document? and how much it will cost me? same as the first time?