+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew my PR

laila

Apr 25, 2013
Hi, Leon

Please help me, I landed Dec 2008 with my ex-husband, he was a student in USA, so we landed to Canada, then stayed for a week, went back to USA, we visited Canada maybe 4 times each time for few days, then after divorce, I left from USA to my country, stayed there for a year, then came back to Canada, Now I have a full time job, but my PR will expire at January 2014, and i wanted to go visit my family for 40 days and come back to my work, my questions are:
1) I did not stay for 2 years in Canada during the last 5 years, I will be missing 5 months, so i was told that the immigration will not agree to renew my PR, is that true?
2)Also, I was told by a friend that, After the expiration date of my PR which is at January 2014, I can wait till June 2014 and then apply, that will give me the missing months, can I stay at the country when my PR is expired, would that be legal, also will I be allowed to work a full time job, and live normal????
3)Also will the immigration count these months for me even if its after the expiration date of my PR card????? or they count only the five years before the expiration date??
This guy told me that the PR is only for you to leave and come back to the canada, is that true???
Advise me please Leon......

thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm not Leon but can answer :)

1. If you were to apply short of 5 months, yes, the renewal would be denied.

2. Your friend is correct, you can simply wait that extra 5 months before applying for renewal. You are a PR and allowed to live and work in Canada as normal even if your card is expired.

3. Yes, they will count those months. They look at the 5 years immediately prior to when you apply for renewal, so if you apply June 2014, they will look back to June 2009, regardless of your card being expired.

And yes again :), the PR card is just to get into the country, it does not reflect your PR status.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed. You will not have a problem staying in Canada with an expired card. No law says you must have a PR card to live in Canada. You should not risk a trip now to visit your family. Wait until you have at least 730 days in the past 5 years and then apply to renew and only visit your family after you have your new PR card.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
laila said:
Hi, Leon

Please help me, I landed Dec 2008 with my ex-husband, he was a student in USA, so we landed to Canada, then stayed for a week, went back to USA, we visited Canada maybe 4 times each time for few days, then after divorce, I left from USA to my country, stayed there for a year, then came back to Canada, Now I have a full time job, but my PR will expire at January 2014, and i wanted to go visit my family for 40 days and come back to my work, my questions are:
1) I did not stay for 2 years in Canada during the last 5 years, I will be missing 5 months, so i was told that the immigration will not agree to renew my PR, is that true?
2)Also, I was told by a friend that, After the expiration date of my PR which is at January 2014, I can wait till June 2014 and then apply, that will give me the missing months, can I stay at the country when my PR is expired, would that be legal, also will I be allowed to work a full time job, and live normal????
3)Also will the immigration count these months for me even if its after the expiration date of my PR card????? or they count only the five years before the expiration date??
This guy told me that the PR is only for you to leave and come back to the canada, is that true???
Advise me please Leon......

thanks
Bottom Line: Do Not make the mistake of applying for PR Card or travelling out of Canada before JUNE 2014, otherwise you may regret your mistake---.

laila

Apr 25, 2013
canuck_in_uk, Leon and Hasher

Thank you so much for replying back and thanks for your help, I will act upon your advise.:)