+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remote work outside Canada on Canadian work permit

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am on Canada work permit and have been living out of country due to covid restrictions in Canada.

I have been working remotely for the past 5 months and paying taxes as deducted on payroll.

How long can I keep working for a company in Canada while I am out of the country?
Depending on your ties to Canada you may stop being a tax resident after 6 months. This is something you should discuss with an accountant, CRA and your employer. You must reapply for healthcare coverage after 6+ months depending on what province you return to. Are you still renting a place to live?

Sri1010

Dec 9, 2020
Depending on your ties to Canada you may stop being a tax resident after 6 months. This is something you should discuss with an accountant, CRA and your employer. You must reapply for healthcare coverage after 6+ months depending on what province you return to. Are you still renting a place to live?
Yes, I still have a lease and I am paying rent.

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Others can comment / correct as well but whilst you are outside of Canada you could work for a Canadian company remotely without restriction given your work permit only comes into play whilst working in Canada. Your work permit will still eventually expire regardless of where you are working from.

Currently do not believe there is any reason why you could not travel back subject to 14 quarantine given you normally would be living in the country and you have a job.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/foreign-workers.html
I have a PGWP from Canada. I travelled back to my home country in September to get married and while I was there, I received a job offer in January 25,2021. i have been outside the country for 5 months but I received a work offer last week, can I travel back to Canada? thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have a PGWP from Canada. I travelled back to my home country in September to get married and while I was there, I received a job offer in January 25,2021. i have been outside the country for 5 months but I received a work offer last week, can I travel back to Canada? thanks
Do you have a travel visa? If so yes. Make sure your job offer states that you will have the job after the 14 day quarantine. You need a quarantine plan.

Reactions: 17ha15

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Do you have a travel visa? If so yes. Make sure your job offer states that you will have the job after the 14 day quarantine. You need a quarantine plan.
Hi, my job contract already started (january 15), but I asked my employer to delay my starting date to february 1 since my wife will come with me this sunday (january 31). However, I didnt understand what you mean by saying: "Make sure your job offer states that you will have the job after the 14 day quarantine." ? Did you mean that my job should start after my quarantine plan ? because my work will mostly be remotely due to covid. any suggestions please?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, my job contract already started (january 15), but I asked my employer to delay my starting date to february 1 since my wife will come with me this sunday (january 31). However, I didnt understand what you mean by saying: "Make sure your job offer states that you will have the job after the 14 day quarantine." ? Did you mean that my job should start after my quarantine plan ? because my work will mostly be remotely due to covid. any suggestions please?
Do you have a vaild TRV? They may ask if your employer is okay with you quarantining for 14 days but if you are remote then you are good. Assume your wife has written authorization to travel unless she has job offer.