+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remote work outside Canada on Canadian work permit

Sri1010

Dec 9, 2020
Hi,

I am on Canada work permit and have been living out of country due to covid restrictions in Canada.

I have been working remotely for the past 5 months and paying taxes as deducted on payroll.

How long can I keep working for a company in Canada while I am out of the country?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment / correct as well but whilst you are outside of Canada you could work for a Canadian company remotely without restriction given your work permit only comes into play whilst working in Canada. Your work permit will still eventually expire regardless of where you are working from.

Currently do not believe there is any reason why you could not travel back subject to 14 quarantine given you normally would be living in the country and you have a job.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/foreign-workers.html

sahilarora2003

Mar 13, 2013
Surrey
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-09-2022
Doc's Request.
20-12-2022
AOR Received.
09-09-2022
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-10-2022
Others can comment / correct as well but whilst you are outside of Canada you could work for a Canadian company remotely without restriction given your work permit only comes into play whilst working in Canada. Your work permit will still eventually expire regardless of where you are working from.

Currently do not believe there is any reason why you could not travel back subject to 14 quarantine given you normally would be living in the country and you have a job.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/foreign-workers.html
I have a question! The work/experience he has done abroad count towards Canadian Experience/One year experience in Canada while creating profile for EE?
Does IRCC understand these situations due to Covid 19?

Reactions: proceso

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have a question! The work/experience he has done abroad count towards Canadian Experience/One year experience in Canada while creating profile for EE?
Work experience counts as foreign experience not Canadian. Very strict guidelines on Canadian experience as this experience is to be IN Canada. Covid hasn’t changed this. You can come to Canada to work.

Karen123

Dec 10, 2020
I work for a Canadian company. My pay stub is issued by this Canadian company and the payment is in Canadian dollars. But I'm physically outside of Canada and I only work online. Do I need to apply for a work permit?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I work for a Canadian company. My pay stub is issued by this Canadian company and the payment is in Canadian dollars. But I'm physically outside of Canada and I only work online. Do I need to apply for a work permit?
If outside Canada, no. Yes if you want to work in Canada. And the Canadian company most likely needs an approved LMIA. Did you have a PGWP?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No work permit needed since you are working outside of Canada.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Karen123

Dec 10, 2020
Yes if you want to work in Canada. And the Canadian company most likely needs an approved LMIA. Did you have a PGWP?
I work outside of canada, not in canada. So Do I need a work permit in order to work for a Canadian employer while I'm outside of Canada ?

Karen123

Dec 10, 2020
If outside Canada, no. Yes if you want to work in Canada. And the Canadian company most likely needs an approved LMIA. Did you have a PGWP?
I will apply for a PGWP. I'm just wondering whether it's okay to work for a Canadian company outside of Canada without a work permit.

sahilarora2003

Mar 13, 2013
Surrey
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-09-2022
Doc's Request.
20-12-2022
AOR Received.
09-09-2022
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-10-2022
Work experience counts as foreign experience not Canadian. Very strict guidelines on Canadian experience as this experience is to be IN Canada. Covid hasn’t changed this. You can come to Canada to work.
Thank you for the clarification. Under some circumstances(LMIA Exempt offer), there is a condition that you need to work for the employer for continous one year to be able to for a valid job offer . In this situation, does it counts towards that ?

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. No, the work to qualify has to be IN Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the clarification. Under some circumstances(LMIA Exempt offer), there is a condition that you need to work for the employer for continous one year to be able to for a valid job offer . In this situation, does it counts towards that ?
You would need to work for that employer IN Canada for a full year before you can claim the 50 points for having a job offer (work outside of Canada will not count). Also, you must be on a closed work permit with your employed named. Finally, your employer must give you a letter stating that they will continue to employ you in Canada for at least one year after you become a PR.

sahilarora2003

Mar 13, 2013
Surrey
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-09-2022
Doc's Request.
20-12-2022
AOR Received.
09-09-2022
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-10-2022
You would need to work for that employer IN Canada for a full year before you can claim the 50 points for having a job offer (work outside of Canada will not count). Also, you must be on a closed work permit with your employed named. Finally, your employer must give you a letter stating that they will continue to employ you in Canada for at least one year after you become a PR.
Thank you for the valuable information. I am on closed work permit with the employer name on it and they are ready to give me a new letter stating that they continue to employ me in Canada for two years after I become a permanent resident. Just missed those points because i went back to my country for some time and missed completing one year minimum because that time doesn't count in completing one year for my employer due to out of Canada despite the fact that i was having valid work permit with continue be on payroll and working remotely for the same employer.