+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remote Work in Canada - Is CRA okay with it?

GrinLarg11

Jun 11, 2022
I am on a visitor visa in Canada and own a company back in India for which I would like to continue to work remotely while I am here.

We have no customers, employees, operations in Canada and I am not selling to anyone in Canada, just plain remote work for my US/Indian clients.

Would the IRCC or the CRA have any problems with this?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am on a visitor visa in Canada and own a company back in India for which I would like to continue to work remotely while I am here.

We have no customers, employees, operations in Canada and I am not selling to anyone in Canada, just plain remote work for my US/Indian clients.

Would the IRCC or the CRA have any problems with this?
Yes IRCC/CBSA could have a problem with it but impossible to know until you try to enter. How long do you want to remain?

GrinLarg11

Jun 11, 2022
What IRCC writes here is what describes my situation:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/what-is-work.html

What kind of activities are not considered to be “work”?

• An activity which does not really 'take away' from opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents to gain employment or experience in the workplace is not “work” for the purposes of the definition.
Examples of activities for which a person would not normally be remunerated or which would not compete directly with Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market and which would normally be part-time or incidental to the reason that the person is in Canada include, but are not limited to:
  • long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;
What do you think?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What IRCC writes here is what describes my situation:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/what-is-work.html

What kind of activities are not considered to be “work”?

• An activity which does not really 'take away' from opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents to gain employment or experience in the workplace is not “work” for the purposes of the definition.
Examples of activities for which a person would not normally be remunerated or which would not compete directly with Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market and which would normally be part-time or incidental to the reason that the person is in Canada include, but are not limited to:
  • long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;
What do you think?
Agree that shouldn’t be an issue.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just wanted to know how your experience with this was. Did you mention that you are going to work while entering CA?
You should [obviously] always answer questions from CBSA truthfully, including a question that is regarding working in Canada. If asked, explain that you understand that a person can work remotely from within Canada (via internet or phone) so long as they are not remunerated from within Canada, or by a company outside of Canada that has a presence in Canada.

If you are NOT asked about working in Canada, you should probably not volunteer that information.

Reactions: ditomathew

dreammapletree

Star Member
Jul 20, 2020
Hi,

I'm a PR holder and currently living in India, working for an IT company in India. Can I work for this same company from Canada if I'm moving to Canada? My salary will be credited to my Indian bank account? Will it have any legal impact?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi,

I'm a PR holder and currently living in India, working for an IT company in India. Can I work for this same company from Canada if I'm moving to Canada? My salary will be credited to my Indian bank account? Will it have any legal impact?
No legal impact as long as you have legal status to work for the IT company in India.
If you are tax resident of Canada, report your Indian income in your tax return to CRA. (check tax treaty between the 2 countries and likely you get credit from the tax that you have already paid in Indian. And can just pay the difference in Canada)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

If you are being paid as an Indian employee while living in Canada that is creating so many tax complications for you. Does the employer have offices in Canada? If they are paying you as a consultant then it is fine. Being paid in your Indian account doesn’t mean that Canadian taxes don’t need to be filed. You may be receiving deductions that you want to try to get refunded because you don’t live India. Your employer may not be able to pay you as an employee if you aren’t a resident of India.